Nice enclosure to put Mac Mini innards into?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by xvimbi, Mar 13, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi - I'm planning on putting the innards of a Mac Mini into a bigger enclosure to make an audio/video server. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions about suitable enclosures. Here are my parameters:

the enclosure
    - should ideally be horizontal and resemble stereo equipment
    - should have a solid metal construction
    - should accommodate two or more 3.5" hard drives
    - should allow installing heat-reducing measures (heat sinks, fans, etc.)
    - should contain an opening for an optical, tray-based drive
    - may contain a small LCD screen (potentially touch screen), which must then be Mac-compatible

I have looked at Zalman, Silverstone and others, but I would welcome any other suggestions, including enclosures that are not necessarily made for computers but that could be adapted to host the components.

Thanks so much. Best - MM

2. macrumors 68000

tersono

Probably wouldn't fit your needs, but I have an old Mac Plus with external SCSI drive that I'm seriously thinking of fitting a mini, dual 3.5 HD and LCD screen into for use as a server. The only tricky bit would be the optical drive, but I figure I can probably dremel out the floppy slot for that....

My only problem is finding the time to actually do the mod!

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have seen such mods (Mac Plus, SE). For my application, though, I would be a bit worried about efficient cooling while keeping noise down. A PowerMac G5/MacPro chassis would be great as well. It's big, but at least it has all the proper buttons and openings. Best - MM

4. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mac Mini Pro. Sadly it is just a one off but it's a nice piece of work.

More details here & here.