1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Nice enclosure to put Mac Mini innards into?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by xvimbi, Mar 13, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi - I'm planning on putting the innards of a Mac Mini into a bigger enclosure to make an audio/video server. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions about suitable enclosures. Here are my parameters:

the enclosure
    - should ideally be horizontal and resemble stereo equipment
    - should have a solid metal construction
    - should accommodate two or more 3.5" hard drives
    - should allow installing heat-reducing measures (heat sinks, fans, etc.)
    - should contain an opening for an optical, tray-based drive
    - may contain a small LCD screen (potentially touch screen), which must then be Mac-compatible

I have looked at Zalman, Silverstone and others, but I would welcome any other suggestions, including enclosures that are not necessarily made for computers but that could be adapted to host the components.

Thanks so much. Best - MM

2. macrumors 68000

tersono

Probably wouldn't fit your needs, but I have an old Mac Plus with external SCSI drive that I'm seriously thinking of fitting a mini, dual 3.5 HD and LCD screen into for use as a server. The only tricky bit would be the optical drive, but I figure I can probably dremel out the floppy slot for that....

My only problem is finding the time to actually do the mod!

3. macrumors newbie

I have seen such mods (Mac Plus, SE). For my application, though, I would be a bit worried about efficient cooling while keeping noise down. A PowerMac G5/MacPro chassis would be great as well. It's big, but at least it has all the proper buttons and openings. Best - MM

4. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mac Mini Pro. Sadly it is just a one off but it's a nice piece of work.

More details here & here.