Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gersh529

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2006
hey...im looking for a nice looking (white) external hd to match my ibook g4 for school next year. i would like to keep the price down to about $150. any suggestions???

Gersh529

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2006
yeah i would like it to be pretty portable. i don't really need 250gigs either..just like a small thing that matches the ibook. lame i know.....but i like cosmetics!!! (who doesn't, anyway?)

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Gersh529 said:
yeah i would like it to be pretty portable. i don't really need 250gigs either..just like a small thing that matches the ibook. lame i know.....but i like cosmetics!!! (who doesn't, anyway?)

If you want it portable I would go with this: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10722

I know its more expensive but it seems to be very mobile. I need and HDD that I can walk about 400 yds across campus to the film school. I hope this will help me but I dont know much about HDD.l

All you out there that know HDD well, what do you think of this one? worth the price? or is there any out there that are better for super portability?

zorg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2006
I recommned a Seagate beacuse it has a 5 year warranty. What I did is bought an enclosure and bought an internal hard drive and put it in. My 300 GB 7200 RPM hard drive cost $120 (including tax and shipping), and my enclosure cost $20. And I love that I have a free 5 year parts and labor warranty from Seagate (every Seagate drive gets it).

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
zorg said:
I recommned a Seagate beacuse it has a 5 year warranty. What I did is bought an enclosure and bought an internal hard drive and put it in. My 300 GB 7200 RPM hard drive cost $120 (including tax and shipping), and my enclosure cost $20. And I love that I have a free 5 year parts and labor warranty from Seagate (every Seagate drive gets it).

Holy crap thats insane. Well i'm sold. Does anyone know if there is a multiple enclosure? I'm doing video editing and I wish I could afford a Terrabyte... (sp?) but gradually I could add. If there is such a thing and its convienant

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
poppe said:
Holy crap thats insane. Well i'm sold. Does anyone know if there is a multiple enclosure? I'm doing video editing and I wish I could afford a Terrabyte... (sp?) but gradually I could add. If there is such a thing and its convienant

If you are looking for tons of storage, it might be less expensive to use an old computer as a file server by hooking it up with Gigabit ethernet and some fast hdds.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
timswim78 said:
If you are looking for tons of storage, it might be less expensive to use an old computer as a file server by hooking it up with Gigabit ethernet and some fast hdds.

Hmm well... does anyone want to sell me an old computer? and how exactly do you do this? do you need software or just have power connected to the computer and have the HDs connected and it works?

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
timswim78 said:

whats the difference between gigbit and regular ethernet? I connected my powerbook to my G3 the other day with the idea of doing exactly what you're talking about, but it was too slow to consider doing in place of an external.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
janey said:
Get an iPod.
Extremely bad idea to use an iPod as an external drive. They're not designed for prolonged use like an external drive for a computer is used.

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
janey said:
I think your best bet would be to get an internal HD and get an external enclosure for your drive

Agree with this 100%. I have a Vantec Nexstar 3 (with eSATA and USB2.0) and it's unbelievable.I've had it on for days at a time with no cooling problems or stability problems.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Multiple HDDs in one case

I'm looking for a case that has multiple HDDs in one case. I was told earlier to get a computer and fill it with HDDs but how exactly do I do that, especially since I dont have a Mac of any kind...

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
dr_lha said:
Extremely bad idea to use an iPod as an external drive. They're not designed for prolonged use like an external drive for a computer is used.
I know but originally it didn't sound like the OP was going to do anything of that sort. Laptop and microdrives and external enclosures are not cheap, but the iPods are small and match the iBook and...yeah...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.