Nice external hd

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gersh529, May 21, 2006.

1. Gersh529 macrumors newbie

hey...im looking for a nice looking (white) external hd to match my ibook g4 for school next year. i would like to keep the price down to about $150. any suggestions???

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

3. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

4. ncook06 macrumors regular

5. ncook06 macrumors regular

6. Gersh529 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i would like it to be pretty portable. i don't really need 250gigs either..just like a small thing that matches the ibook. lame i know.....but i like cosmetics!!! (who doesn't, anyway?)

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

If you want it portable I would go with this: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10722

I know its more expensive but it seems to be very mobile. I need and HDD that I can walk about 400 yds across campus to the film school. I hope this will help me but I dont know much about HDD.l

All you out there that know HDD well, what do you think of this one? worth the price? or is there any out there that are better for super portability?

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

9. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Check out the Lacie Brick. Absolutely beautiful, looks like a Lego block.

10. zorg macrumors regular

I recommned a Seagate beacuse it has a 5 year warranty. What I did is bought an enclosure and bought an internal hard drive and put it in. My 300 GB 7200 RPM hard drive cost $120 (including tax and shipping), and my enclosure cost $20. And I love that I have a free 5 year parts and labor warranty from Seagate (every Seagate drive gets it).

11. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Holy crap thats insane. Well i'm sold. Does anyone know if there is a multiple enclosure? I'm doing video editing and I wish I could afford a Terrabyte... (sp?) but gradually I could add. If there is such a thing and its convienant

12. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

If you are looking for tons of storage, it might be less expensive to use an old computer as a file server by hooking it up with Gigabit ethernet and some fast hdds.

13. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hmm well... does anyone want to sell me an old computer? and how exactly do you do this? do you need software or just have power connected to the computer and have the HDs connected and it works?

14. munckee macrumors 65816

whats the difference between gigbit and regular ethernet? I connected my powerbook to my G3 the other day with the idea of doing exactly what you're talking about, but it was too slow to consider doing in place of an external.

15. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Extremely bad idea to use an iPod as an external drive. They're not designed for prolonged use like an external drive for a computer is used.

16. stefan15 macrumors regular

Agree with this 100%. I have a Vantec Nexstar 3 (with eSATA and USB2.0) and it's unbelievable.I've had it on for days at a time with no cooling problems or stability problems.

17. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Multiple HDDs in one case

I'm looking for a case that has multiple HDDs in one case. I was told earlier to get a computer and fill it with HDDs but how exactly do I do that, especially since I dont have a Mac of any kind...

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

I know but originally it didn't sound like the OP was going to do anything of that sort. Laptop and microdrives and external enclosures are not cheap, but the iPods are small and match the iBook and...yeah...

19. Macmadant macrumors 6502a