Nice free FTP client for Mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coleg, Jan 27, 2005.

1. coleg macrumors regular

I've been using Fetch but cannot seem to find the chmod commands. Or how to chmod files.

Do you guys recommend another free ftp client?

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

Cyberduck, Fugu... and then if you want to pay for something.. Transmit

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I recommend Transmit too. While it's not free, it's the best OS X FTP client out there.

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I use Cyberduck, but I've also used another free program called RBBrowser that I liked pretty well. Anyway, to set permissions (CHMOD) in Fetch, just go to the Remote menu and select Set Permissions.

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i use cyberduck and it seems to do everything i want pretty well! oh and its free!

6. danrufus macrumors newbie

Permissions

In fetch,

click file

goto remote menu

set permissions

then you can change the chmod in the dialog box

daniel

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Transmit isn't free, but it's the only Mac FTP client that I really like much.

8. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

help!

I am looking for a FileZilla replacement on Mac OSX.

I need to be able to access
    • FTP (active/passive, various ports)
    • SFTP over SSH (again, various ports, thanks to overly paranoid sysadmin who believes in security through obscurity :( )
    • FTP over SSL with explicit encryption

Cyberduck does items 1 and 2, but I couldn't find, for the life of me, a way to get #3 working.

Does that mean I'll have to dust off XCode and get my first shot at objective-C and cocoa?

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I use Transmit as well but RBrowserLite is a pretty good free alternative.

10. brap macrumors 68000

Seconded.
    I use the latter, it does everything you could possibly want, and works (unlike Fugu). Pity is, it's slow as molasses and ugly as sin.

11. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

no matter which you wanna use, never try CuteFTP.

CuteFTP is just don't work at all, though it might be doing well under windows.

I used cuteftp, and everything looks fine but listing files. It will stuck at listing files and directories EVERY TIME, and just don't go on.

I suggest transmit. :)

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I have both Cyberduck and Fetch, and I like both of them very much, and each one has its forte. (Cyberduck has a nice interface, but sucks at moving lots of files, Fetch has a shoddy interface but moves lots of files very quickly, etc. etc.)

13. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I use RBrowserLite on a daily basis... it's improved a lot speedwise over the past year or two (although it's still ugly). I don't find it to be that slow anymore (unlike Fugu which is just unusable). I also like the fact that you can have folders appear at the top of a file listing so they're easy to find. Transmit doesn't have that feature.

I also like Interarchy a lot... it's definitely faster than RBrowserLite, but it's $39 so I haven't bought it.

14. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I use Cyberduck. Seems to do everything I need.

15. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

My favourite free FTP application can be found in the terminal window by entering "ftp" at the command prompt... :)

16. Pixeled_Apple macrumors member

Transmits good.. Its easy, simple, and nice! I do all my FTP stuff there! :D

17. tex210 macrumors regular

18. Whotheheck macrumors member

When I conect using the connect to server command, it'll mount the ftp site but I won't be able to upload anything to it. :(

19. Whotheheck macrumors member

btw: I was actually talking about putting in the ftp address in safari. when I go to go:connect to server it doesn't do it cause it needs a password :p

20. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

RBrowserLite anyone? the only thing the free version doesn't do is sftp. I think. Fugu is good but I can't see how it does column browsing.

21. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Posts 9,10, and 13 cover it.

I'll also throw my vote in for RBrowserLite. I use this, Fugu for SFTP, and terminal on a regular basis. So they are the "best" looking, but they are free, right?

Was this even a vote? :D

22. skipperchong macrumors newbie

having been entrenched in PC world for a bit, FTP programs were the one thing that I having a hard time with in the Mac world. I mean, I remembered about Fetch from way back when, but Fetch never made much sense to me.

when I first re-entered Mac-land from PC-land, I used Bulletproof FTP -- it has a PC version as well, which works fine, I suppose. WS-FTP had no ported Mac version and there was no way I was using CuteFTP.

after trying out many (many!) FTP programs, I think you're not going to do much better than Transmit. it's solid. and sure, it's $30 but my dad always said, you pay for what you get.

just my $.02.

23. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Yeah, same thing happens for me. :( I was wondering if this was maybe because it doesn't support secure FTP (or something)... although I've only tried it with one FTP site and I don't know if that was secure or not.

Sorry, I could be talking carp here... am not very knowlegable about this. Ever since I realised that FTP was available in the termainal command line, I've not found the need to look any further.

Regards
    Superleccy

24. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I tried the newest version of Transmit and had a problem where the file listing of a large folder (with over 2000 files) wouldn't display properly. It seems for now, the best thing for me to use is still RBrowserLite.... not that it doesn't have bugs of its own, but none that prevent me from getting my work done like the problem I had with Transmit.