Nice job Apple!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Agathon, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    I just bought a new iMac Core Duo.

When I got home from the store and updated the software, the thing just died. So I took it back to the local Apple Store here in Seoul, and not only did they replace it with a new unit immediately, but they kept the help desk open after hours so I could download and update and make sure it didn't happen again with the new one.

It's service like that which makes me a loyal customer.

And it's an awesome machine. I was supposed to buy it for my work computer, and get reimbursed for 2/3 of the cost, but I can't bear to part with it, so it is staying in my study for the foreseeable future. :)

Now if only WoW would install faster...
  2. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    The heart of Europe
    Very good service!
    But what do you mean by "just died"? Sounds weird to me.. :confused:
  3. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    Doesn't to me. I had a brand new G4 powerbook that I had running for two hours whilst I installed all my stuff then it kernel panic'd and then never booted again. The hardware test disk said the memory was dead. I swapped sticks...still dead. The logic board just....died.
  4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois

Now that sounded funny...
  5. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    Though it does SOUND funny, I'm sure it was nowhere near funny when it happened...
  6. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I must admit, that's some pretty awesome help there. You certainly wouldn't see anyone else providing service like that. Maybe a small custom computer shop, but that's it. And certainly not for free.
  7. Agathon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    I played around with Photobooth and chatted with some friends. Then the software update came on with a load of stuff, so I hit "yes" and it updated.

Once I restarted the screen was completely dead and the power LED just kept flashing. I talked with Apple's online tech support and they advised me to take the thing back.

I guess some people would be annoyed, but these things happen, especially with new designs, and as long as the company stands behind their product, I have no real cause for complaint.

For the record, this is the first failure of anything made by Apple I have owned in 10 years of custom.