Nice New MP3 Player!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jan 25, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I just downloaded "Audion" from www.panic.com

Its a pretty quick, nice looking, MP3 player. Its got quite a few features too! Heres a Screenshot:

P.S. - That yellow box only shows up when you leave the cursor over the song name, its usually not there.

Attached Files:

2. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

not new

While nice, etc. etc., Audion isn't new. Few years old, not sure exactly how old. I do know that it was on 9 before the public beta of X came out though.

I personally don't like it much though. iTunes, for me at least, just works better. All I really need an mp3 player for is the occasional song while I work, or to transfer to my iPod.

One thing I love about it though, that I wish iTunes would do, is the customizable faces. Some of those faces are really nice, especially the one that looks like the mp3 player from the OS X public beta.

enoch

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

before itunes 2 comes out, this was my mp3 player of choice back in my OS 9 days, it did everything, and it was fast and skinnable.

Sure it costs a bit, but if your a generous person, you'd be into it

4. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Damn

This player is sweet. The ONLY problem is it doesnt have a feature for like importing the music folder, and it would setup the music like iTunes does. If it did that, this player would smoke iTunes (it already does)

It supports this new Mp3 Encoding, i dont remember what its called though. its the ONLY mac player that supports it. It gives you higher quality songs at a lower file size.

Its fast, and it is easy to stream music in. AND the Stream Guide Window (like iTunes' streaming servers) is way better. The servers are updated, they sound better, and everything!

5. job macrumors 68040

job

it's good.

but not better than itunes.

i really wish that itunes had it's level of skin support though..

6. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Yeah it looks nice, but I still like the look of iTunes.

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Re: Damn

It's called LAME (heh, the irony), and if you really like it so much you can download a plug-in to use the encoder in iTunes... though it's damn slow to convert...

irmongoose

8. TheMightyG macrumors regular

If you liked Audion...try Whamb. I saw it on versiontracker and decided to give it a whirl:

www.whamb.com

It uses OS X's CoreAudio, making it far better sounding than iTunes/Soundjam. Its skinnable, very low CPU usage and supports Rendevous!

Importing playlists remains a bit tricky and the interface is not as clean as iTunes, but the developer is working on it.

Try playing an MP3 with Whamb and then iTunes....you'll find that sound quality is much much better with the former. Well worth the 12 bucks IMHO.

Give it a try and see what you think.

9. GrandShenlong macrumors member

I'm a PC guy, and I prefer Musicmatch Jukebox's powers of organization and ripping.

Just a comment.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

MMJ isn't that great. To tell you the truth, I prefer Windows Media
    Player. If only there was a PC iTunes.... ;)

11. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

12. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I really like whamb, but its skins are kinda ugly for the moment, but the audio is so much crisper than itunes, and rendezvous is amazing.
    and only 5% CPU is pretty good to me.