Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I thought this editorial embodied my opinion pretty well.

I'm not a die-hard fan, but I can be a baseball sentimentalist, and Barry Bonds offends the sentimentalist in me. I like the tie-in with Bush-9/11-Enron thing.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
badmofo9000 said:
I am sorry but Barry Bonds is very offensive. He makes me sick.

Many share that view of BB. I liked the very imaginative references to Babe Ruth in the ESPN article. When it comes to Bonds, however, he is in major denial with a capital ...

Attachments

• Denial.jpg
    Denial.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 135

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I love the way he tries to justify it, first with the " it's not a sport/game, it's business" excuse and then with the "everyone else is doing it" excuse.

Business has ethics.

Would you jump off a bridge just because everyone else was doing it too?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Lord Blackadder said:
I predict a negative media firestorm when he passes the Babe's record.

Should be interesting as Barry Bonds* approaches the record. I remember as Hank Aaron approached it there was a bit of negative publicity (probably due to his being black) but the press is so more far reaching today.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The TV news media is so theatrical and intrusive...when Bonds* passes the Babe every news network will swing into full super-live-update-constant-bombardment-read-the-ticker mode. Wolf Blitzer will take you to the "Situation Room" and talk to a "baseball expert" to explain what a home run is, and how performance enhancing drugs work. They'll play video montages of Babe Ruth and moan about how society has gone to hell in a handbasket since Ruth's time. The Faux News Channel will proclaim that it's time to get back to old-school values in sports and Bill O'Reilly will call Bonds* out for betraying the sport.

All fine and well I supppose, but like the article said, where was all that furor when his dinger numbers jumped magically a few years ago and everyone knew that he, Big Mac and Sosa were juiced? The last thing that any of us have the right to do is be shocked. Typical media response - they won't call anyone out until everything is so obvious...

I guess this was a bit of a rant...:eek: :D :rolleyes:

stebu

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2004
Margate, Kent, UK
There's no doubt Bonds has brought shame and disgrace to a noble game and he will go down in history with the likes of Pete Rose and the Black Sox. What amazes me is how many people seem eager to justify his (implied) reasoning. Ibid

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I hope a meteor hits slightly left of home plate when Barry Bonds goes up to bat 1 HR away from breaking the Babe's record. Babe Ruth is probably the greatest player of all time. Forget how Hank Aaron hit more home runs. Babe hit 29 home runs when the record before that was around 27 home runs. Next year, he hit 54 or 59 or something, and the rest is history. That's twice the previous record. When people break records today, they're doing so by 1 or 2 HR, or hits in a season. Guys like Babe Ruth, Bobby Orr (hockey), Wilt Chamberlain, Pele........those guys are the ones who literally do twice as good as any other player at the time, and raise the bar high. To be 2nd best player of the season meant you might be half as good as Babe Ruth was that year. He hit more home runs than entire teams.......actually, pretty much every team in the league but a few. Just imagine what that means.

And while being the best hitter, Babe was also the best pitcher in baseball at one point.

Instead of putting an asterisk beside Barry Bond's name for taking a performance enhancing drug, lets put an asterisk beside Babe Ruth's name since he was a fat alcoholic that chewed tobacco, and his lifestyle was like taking a performance de-hancing drug. Yet he's STILL a better player than Bonds was naturally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.