Nice project or something more??

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Opp, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Opp
    macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2012
    1st off I'm very new to programming, automator, terminal, and applescript. I did a little c++ a couple years back but hardly remember anything at all.

I have this idea of writing a script or application that will automatically refresh, and instantly notify me of twitter posts from a particular user while it is open. I need it to be faster than refreshing mac app. Every second is precious

How hard would this be for a beginner? Would it be possible using applescript or terminal? I've basically dedicated this entire day to researching the beast way to accomplish this but haven't gotten far.
  2. macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    This seems like a rather hard task for a beginner, I think you should start smaller, especially considering the fact that this your first project.

Oh, and btw, if you're still going to do this, I would recommend that instead of constantly refreshing, you should search for a method for your application to get notified when a particular tweet is posted. This saves a lot of resources.
  3. macrumors member

Jun 1, 2005
    London, UK
    Curious why "[e]very second is precious" when listening to twitter, but if you're truly looking for low latency notification, I expect the streaming API is what you're looking for:

However, this is not something I'd suggest tackling for your first application.