Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemacfan0101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2003
Just recently, the Apple Corporation released it's new web browser, Safari. The web browser has been tested to be the fastest on the planet. There's just one catch. Its' only available for OS X Jaguar. Now, if Apple wanted to just slap Microsoft on the hand, and then forget about it, this is the way to go. But for older macintosh users, such as myself, without the financing to buy a new computer, this is a slap to me as well. Since i am using Mac OS 9.1, on a 233mhz Imac, I cannot take advantage of the new system, even though I hate Microsoft and am struggling with Opera's web browser. I'm not willing to switch to Windows, yet I feel that Apple has abandoned the older systems in favor of their new system. For once in my life, I'm ill at Apple, because Microsoft has the decency to support 98 to XP. OS Switcher's beware... Once Apple has you buying their system, they leave older OS in the dust. This alone cuts out over 4/5 of the Macintosh users that want to get away from Microsoft's hold on their system. Apple should be smart.. Release Safari to support OS 7.5 and up.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
I for one would be very angry at Apple if they continued wasting resources on Classic OS after stating themselves that it is DEAD. I am very glad it is OS X only, and if it runs only in Jaguar and not older versions it must be because it takes advantage of some features of it, plain and simple.

Apple is trying to move away from the old code now, and get everyone to start utilizing its newer system software. There are still enough apps out there for your older system to be useful and functional. But Apple's trying to focus its developmental resources on the future. I mean, feel glad--they were going to remove all support whatsoever for OS 9 by now.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Sorry for your predicament, but its the nature of technology. I believe Apple has waited long enough to push ahead with innovation. If they sit around and try to figure out how to get their new software to work with old hardware all day, they will not forge ahead.

If Apple wants to be successful as a company, they need to sell computers. Technology is moving at such a rapid rate and in order for them to release new, exciting software, they need to stay a step ahead. So, they release new software for their new computers to make them attractive to consumers with 5 year old computers. Do you really expect them not to?

A 266mHz iMac is old. Just like a 500mHz PC is old. Its just the nature of technology. You really cant complain about it because the alternative is for Apple to fold under and die. There are planty of software titles released today that dont work for Windows 2000, but XP only: so Apple isn't the only one.

Maybe you should just sacrifice a bit, buy a new iMac and OSX. Trust me, you'll LOVE it.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Nice Safari, but no support for older Macs

Originally posted by applemacfan0101
Just recently, the Apple Corporation released it's new web browser, Safari. The web browser has been tested to be the fastest on the planet. There's just one catch. Its' only available for OS X Jaguar. Now, if Apple wanted to just slap Microsoft on the hand, and then forget about it, this is the way to go. But for older macintosh users, such as myself, without the financing to buy a new computer, this is a slap to me as well. Since i am using Mac OS 9.1, on a 233mhz Imac, I cannot take advantage of the new system, even though I hate Microsoft and am struggling with Opera's web browser. I'm not willing to switch to Windows, yet I feel that Apple has abandoned the older systems in favor of their new system. For once in my life, I'm ill at Apple, because Microsoft has the decency to support 98 to XP. OS Switcher's beware... Once Apple has you buying their system, they leave older OS in the dust. This alone cuts out over 4/5 of the Macintosh users that want to get away from Microsoft's hold on their system. Apple should be smart.. Release Safari to support OS 7.5 and up.

OS 7.5?? Please tell me you're joking!!! Christ, tons of stuff broke from 7.6.1 to 8.0 and even more from OS 9.0

The backwards compatibility from OSX to OS 9 is without paralell. OSX is the future and if you wanna have Safari, pony up and buy OSX for your iMac.

I know people who have gotten OSX to run on the original iMac.

If not, i'll betcha Netscape 4.7 or whatever is JUST AS FAST if you're going to be a whiney luddite and INSIST on using an outdated system.

Me? I'll take the multi-tasking capabilities of OSX on my machine ANYDAY.

I swear, some people would run OS6.0 on their g4's if they could.

Obviously, you don't understand the technology industry. If apple (and Microsoft for that matter) tried to keep suppport alive for all the luddites who are afraid of a new system, they'd both be out of business.

Your iMac is what, 5 years old now? I think it's time for an upgrade. Be thankful you bought a Mac, since your original bondi blue iMac stull has some value.

Sell your iMac on eBay, get your $300 bucks, apply it towards a new iMac (you can get one for $999 at some places) or, hell, get an eMac.

You'll net out spending $700 or so on a NEW MAC that can run the beloved Safari, you'll help Apple keep innovating, and you'll be more productive.

Sheesh. I am still amazed that you think apple should support safari on OS 7.5. I've officially heard it all.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Safari is written in Cocoa (Obj-C) which will not run on <OSX (at least not without porting the entire runtime and all of the libraries back to OS9). It is likely to also use Quartz to render it's text (due to the above dependancies, and the fact that it draws into a custom view) so the entire Quartz graphics layer would have to be ported back to OS9. This is a fair amount of OSX that would need to be back ported. What's the point? Those of us on OSX would rather this development work went into the new platform. It's not like this is a surprise. All new Apple software has only run on OSX for at least a year now.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
What's the problem? Apple wants/needs everyone to upgrade. So if you want to use the new toys you gotta upgrade. It's not devistating, it's economics. If you are in 7.5 then there's no hope for you upgrading any time soon and will be ignored. Only so many systems can be supported.

As Steve has said, the future is X. So if you aren't with the future, you're in the past.

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Re: Nice Safari, but no support for older Macs

Originally posted by applemacfan0101
...because Microsoft has the decency to support 98 to XP...

Actually Microsoft will only support one operating system back. Anything older than Windows 2000 or ME is not supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.