Nicest thing you ever bought your significant other?

Discussion in 'Community' started by hugemullens, Oct 2, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I went to town today to buy a powermate, they didnt have any and i was wandering around the mall and found a necklace with a heat pendant, and a diamond in the middle, and just randomly bought it for my girlfriend. Only set me back $250, but thats a lot in my world. (she's worth every penny :) ) Anyways, it got me thinking, what the most expensive thing you ever bought the love of your life? i think it'll be neat to here what love has cost us all :D

2. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'll have an answer for you tomorrow after I pop the question and we go shopping. ;)

3. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

this would require having had a significant other...?

Sorry, I guess I can't contribute too much to this post, guys. ;)

--
    Oh, wait I can! Congrats Rower! I wish you the best of luck and a lifetime of happiness!

(Sorry, I didn't exactly read all of the posts before...)

4. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Congrats on your soon to be marriage!;)

5. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, a marriage date will probably be a ways off still, but thanks. :)

6. macrumors 6502

i bought my first love a ring which cost like 300 bucks and then she dumped me like a week later.

this was when i was 18 so that was a lot of money.
    wait that still is a lot of money to me. but it would all go to beer now.

7. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Congrats Rower!

8. Retired

jefhatfield

the most special gift the wife says is

1) the wedding ring ...platinum band with small diamond from tiffany's

2) a starfish necklace...same place but at another tiffany's dealer

3) the next is the blueberry ibook

then,

4) the reeses peanut butter cups the other day...4 pack supersize

9. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

A rose and a card for my then-girlfriend two Valentines Days ago: $5. I was in high school.

As for special things done for ANY girl, that would be the $180 I spent on my senior prom.

10. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Ah yes, the gift of chocolate. Never to be underestimated. ;)

She has my old Ti400 already, so I've got a good start. :D

11. macrumors 603

shadowfax

have you proceeded to the jewelry stage yet?

12. Retired

jefhatfield

wow, she got your tibook? that's really cool

the ibook i got for my wife has mostly been used by me...surfing and posting on macrumors

i came to macrumors in july 2000, or maybe a little earlier and i had my ibook maybe six months then so overall the ibook has spent more than half it's booted up life on macrumors.com...even though i post a lot, i spend more time reading posts and some days, i will read and read but never post

and sometimes, i get into surfing the web on my PC laptop and i have a considerable amount of time of that machine on macrumors.com

and on the machines i use at the junior college in my computer classes, i often spend a lot more time surfing this site instead of listening to the professor...being a techie in this crazy changing field, i will never finish my college education learning computers...at least half in the class are older (or even elderly) working adults like me who already have their bachelor's or master's degree and realize that while the computer field is still in its infancy, it will be a rat race just keeping up with new languages and technology...but as long as the school has a machine for me and good, fast internet access...for me to cruise macrumors...instead of listen to lectures...i will be quite happy:D

13. Retired

jefhatfield

he he...he gave her the gift of titanium;)

hey, if i were a girl, i would much rather prefer a tibook than a platinum ring

but then again, i am a guy so my idea of hardware is a laptop while some women i know refer to their jewelry as hardware

14. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

shadowfax-
    Yeah, I bought her a pair of emerald earrings for Valentine's a couple years ago.

Tomorrow's the next big step. ;)

jef-
    When I got the 1GHz TiBook it was only fair to give her the 400. It was my first Mac, and got me started on MR.

Sounds like some riveting computer classes...;)

15. macrumors 603

shadowfax

dude, are you serious? congrats :)

good luck, heh.

16. Retired

jefhatfield

yeah...circuits...yawn

sectors on hard drives...yawn

loops in visual basic...double yawn

tcp ip...triple yawn

so i usually get into some heated political debate on the forums...at least i used to then, but i don't visit the political section too much anymore these days even though i was the poster who invented the political threads on macrumors with titles like "macs and politics" or "political thread version 2"

now, i like to post about personal, more touchy feely things in the community section while i am in class...the younger students like to get into online gaming or sex sites while the teacher lectures and the techs have to constantly erase avi and mpegs from the PCs... the school does not believe in censorship of any kind so it's always the backrow computer students who do all the dubious downloads during classes

the library tried to put some sort of filters on the machines that would make chatrooms and forums hard to use but it never stopped me:p

17. macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I paid my girlfriend's rent for about 6 months while she was unemployed. That was about 2 years ago, and now I'm unemployed and need someone to pay my rent! augh!

18. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

19. macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Yeah, I have a friend that I went to school with in Seattle, and he moved back to Louisiana too.

20. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

best thing i ever got a signifigant other: a trip to europe. her dad was from holland, and he died that winter. So i made plans to take her to france for a while, and then we'd spent time with her family in eindhoven. we were barely on speaking terms by the time the trip came about. those that know her say that when her dad died a loose screw fell out, and she fell apart (psychologically speaking). so it was pretty much a wasted trip. she was miserable the whole time.

on a much, much happier note, good luck w/the proposal, Rower! That's awesome! Best of luck.

21. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My wife and I went to an estate jewelry sale in town at the same place that we got our wedding rings. For her and her friends it was fun, trying on all the flashy things. At one point she wore a bracelet worth more than our house ;) :eek:

But there was a necklace there that was made out of platinum, diamonds and pearls, made in the early half of the 20th century. It fit perfectly, looked really good on her and she loved it - but thought it was too expensive (more than the rings combined). But I went back and bought it later that week and gave it to here as a wedding present.

She loves it, but still gives me crap about spending the money....just not that much crap....:D

D

22. macrumors 6502a

chibianh

an ipod! she loves music and has been using the ipod every single day since.. :)

23. macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Go Beer!

For me, I have bought a few pieces of nice jewelery for my lady, but the most "expensive" thing i have purhcased for her is $60+ in flowers. At least the jewelery is still around, which makes it feel less expensive.

24. macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I took my wife to Paris for a few days (she was my girlfriend then). That was quite expensive (£600 ~ $1000?) but half of it was for me! We went on Valentines Day which was lovely. Its true what they say about it being a romantic city...:D

25. macrumors G4

[​IMG]