nick berg video is awefull

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clubmedia, May 18, 2004.

1. clubmedia macrumors regular

i didn't want to play it, but a friend got me to.

he said it was terrible but said i should at least see it

i did tonight though. i stopped it before it was finished.

absolutely insane and awefull

anyone else seen this terrible act of murder?

2. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Never played the second part, too disturbing...

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i watched it. i think its worse than the daniel perl video. i think its teh screaming that got me the most

i dont watch it because im into the gore, but it made me curious to know and see what happened.

4. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Ummm...what exactly did you expect your reaction to be? I mean, it's a video of a man dying in the most gruesome way possible. Just the picture of that poor guy sitting in front of those sick bastards makes me have trouble sleeping. And I'm not even American. (Not that that should affect a person's reaction to this grisly act.)

Squire

5. PolarbearTed macrumors newbie

I was also wondering why you would want to watch such a thing?

EDIT:// Isn't this essentially a 'snuff film'?

PolarbearTed

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Yeah it is a snuff film. I've only been mildly curious about it. Not curious enough to go through the work to find it.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Welcome to the real world!

Sushi

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I had no desire to see it....some coworkers were watching it and I just kept going by.

One of them couldn't sleep that night.... :(

D

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Umm, yeah its terrible! What were you expecting?

That whole situation pisses me off. The other arab countries get all bent out of shape when Iraqis are mistreated in a prison (If you've ever rushed a fraternity its not that bad) and then they say nothing when our guys are blown up or get their head cut off. They even say nothing when their own people get blown up by terrorists. The arab world is so backwards and stupid it sickens me. we should pull our troops out and nuke em.

10. Mantat macrumors 6502a

This is what war is all about: death...

With modern day weapons, soldiers are killing enemy from a long distance which help to reduce the 'psycological' factor that can prevent someone to kill his target. This has been proven in the past by experiment (google for: experiment, electrical shock) led by US university that finaly resulted in the elaboration of an ethical code for research: the further you are from the target, the easier it is to kill it. Its even easier if you cant see / hear it. This is why some people have the nerves to send missile that kill hundreds of innocents...

Anyways, my point is, no matter how you kill someone, with a knife, gun, bomb, etc.. The end result is the same and its still that much disgusting. So in my eyes, any soldier that kill anyone is as barbaric as these integrists.

I will only believe in war when the leader will be on the front line!

11. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Oh yah... Thats the 'moral' thing to do... Kill anyone that cause you problems. In case you havent noticed, much of the problems in the middle east have been created by the US/Occident which resulted in the integrist movement. Happy people dont try to kill others, so for them to be pissed off enough to blow themself up, there must be some freaking huge problem...

Every problem has a cause, and its generaly not what your governement wants you to beleive...

12. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i have to admit that i was curious the first time i heard about the video. i did a few searches, since then, i have been very glad that i did not find it. this is all terrible

13. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    to all the people who have not seen it yet... lucky you.

14. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

It's comments like that, that justify the thoughts of the "Arab" world, hell the rest of the world.

Frankly it disgusts me that people could have such "high and mighty" views. Remember Nazi Germany and the Holocaust? That's just one situation in history where innocent people were murdered because of views similar to the one you just voiced.

Grow up for a minute. They are human beings. They may not be as fortunate to live in a country like the US, but they are as hard working and compassionate as anyone. The US should be ashamed of its actions since it ended isolationism.

And on topic, I have not seen the video, but I can imagine quite well what it would be like.

15. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i hate to say it, but i saw it and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.. probably because i saw a very low res version, and i had crappy speakers so I couldn't hear anything very well. I have seen worse, so this really wasn't a problem for someone desensitised like me.

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

While I agree w/your point, I think you are incorrectly citing that experiment. It is the one that took place during the 60's (I think) and had participants "shock" someone in a room when that person answered a question wrong? If so, that experiment is about how people obey authority figures even if it means they do something they don't want to do (and/or think is wrong). It is not related to people's inherent reluctence<sp?> to kill other people.

Lethal

17. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ok so if it was American prisoners subjected to that humiliating abuse do you think the 'western world' wouldn't be "bent out of shape" too? And if you think there wasn't Arab condemnation of what happened to Mr Berg just check out this link from the BBC :confused: Comparing these acts to frat hazing may seem close on the surface, but a pledge has the choice between suffering through the hazing or not get in the frat. The Iraqi prisoners probably thought that they had to suffer through the abuse or be killed! the stakes were a little higher for the prisoners wouldn't you agree?

What CNN isn't telling you is that there is a civil war brewing and the majority of the bombers are not iraqi citizens but from other countries.

p.s. America, no matter how bad it gets will never use nukes on Iraqi. Why? Because then they couldn't get the oil out of there! It doesn't get much easier than that

18. DGFan macrumors 6502a

I guess when I heard "beheaded" on the news I had assumed it would be done somewhat more....efficiently.

So, yes, I expected it to be gruesome but I was pretty well floored by what I saw (and heard).

I agree with Colin Powell that there is not enough Arab outrage at the video.

19. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

You are correct, Lethal. That infamous experiment was carried out by Stanley Milgram at Yale University. It demonstrated the tendency of people to follow orders given by an authoritative figure- even if those orders result in a terrible outcome.

Stanley Milgram, a psychologist at Yale University, conducted a study focusing on the conflict between obedience to authority and personal conscience. He examined justifications for acts of genocide offered by those accused at the World War II, Nuremberg War Criminal trials. Their defense often was based on "obedience" - - that they were just following orders of their superiors.

In the experiment, so-called "teachers" (who were actually the unknowing subjects of the experiment) were recruited by Milgram. They were asked administer an electric shock of increasing intensity to a "learner" for each mistake he made during the experiment. The fictitious story given to these "teachers" was that the experiment was exploring effects of punishment (for incorrect responses) on learning behavior. The "teacher" was not aware that the "learner" in the study was actually an actor - - merely indicating discomfort as the "teacher" increased the electric shocks.

When the "teacher" asked whether increased shocks should be given he/she was verbally encouraged to continue. Sixty percent of the "teachers" obeyed orders to punish the learner to the very end of the 450-volt scale! No subject stopped before reaching 300 volts!

At times, the worried "teachers" questioned the experimenter, asking who was responsible for any harmful effects resulting from shocking the learner at such a high level. Upon receiving the answer that the experimenter assumed full responsibility, teachers seemed to accept the response and continue shocking, even though some were obviously extremely uncomfortable in doing so. The study raised many questions about how the subjects could bring themselves to administer such heavy shocks. More important to our interests are the ethical issues raised by such an experiment itself. What right does a researcher have to expose subjects to such stress? What activities should be and not be allowed in marketing research? Does the search for knowledge always justify such "costs" to subjects? Who should decide such issues?

(http://www.cba.uri.edu/Faculty/dellabitta/mr415s98/EthicEtcLinks/Milgram.htm)

I believe the "shock dial" had descriptions like "slight discomfort," "extreme pain," and the like on it. In addition, when the highest "shocks" were administered, the "learner" could be heard screaming in apparent agony. Amazing how 60% followed orders that would result in death, isn't it? (I'm sure this experiment will resurface during the trials over the Abu Ghraib prison abuse.)

Mantat, have you ever heard The Bravery of Being Out of Range by Roger Waters? Here's the last verse:

Hey bartender over here, two more shots and two more beers
    Sir turn up the TV sound, the war has started on the ground
    Just love those laser-guided bombs, they're really great for righting wrongs
    You hit the target and win the game from bars three thousand miles away
    Three thousand miles away
    We play the game with the bravery of being out of range
    We zap and maim with the bravery of being out of range
    We strafe the train with the bravery of being out of range
    We gain terrain with the bravery of being out of range
    With the bravery of being out of range
    We play the game with the bravery of being out of range

Squire

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Racist.

21. Mantat macrumors 6502a

The experiment was related to the autority, yes, but also the relation between the subject and the target of the shocks. I am sure about it because they did the experiment in various environnement: the persons in front of each others, then with a wall in between but still able to hear the guy screams and finaly off site were the subject never had the results of his actions. The more distant the subject was from the target, the easier it was for it to increase the voltage.

22. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i am always in shock when i hear people say utterly rediculous things about how these people and those people are negative in some way. most of the terrorists we are "fighting" are not even from iraq like Raid said. i mean if you look at a lot of the crap that the US does it makes me sick. we supply weapons to help support civil wars and all kinds of sick things in the name of greed for money. the US is hated more than it's ever been by the rest of the world... there IS a reason and it's not because "WE ROCK AND THEY SUCK!!"

I love America, but the politics that are running this country need a reboot.

23. PolarbearTed macrumors newbie

What is the human fascination with death? Does it somehow supplement your fears of your own mortality?

PolarbearTed

24. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

disliking a culture has nothing to do with race
    therefore a disgust towards arab countries and not towards people of arabic or semitic descent does not qualify as racism
    I feel that it is very unfair to label a person as such especially with such a loaded term on so little information about the individual making it

25. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

not to in any way justify the comment which led to this statement but a comparison to nazi germany does not quite work
    when did the Jews slaughter germans on film for political and reactionary reasons?
    obeygiant's comment may have been somewhat close minded but at least it had it's genesis in a factual truth (the slaughter caught on video) and not in simple unjustifiable racism