Nigerian Scam!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

WOO! I've finally, after 9 years online, had my first email from a Nigerian Scam person. I dont know if this is the real term, but its one of those guys from Africa who want my money to give me more money back.

Anywho... So I just got his email... What should I do from here? I doubt there is any real point in reporting him to the police so I'd like to have some fun. A mate of mine once asked for a scan of his passport only to have an photo of Eamon Homes (Whatever his name is).

So! any suggestions?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Investigate the headers on the email and complain to "abuse@" the ISP (Almost always Yahoo or Hotmail) and they will shut the account down. Check with your national police to see if they have a clearinghouse address to send 419- or "Advance-fee" frauds (they are not all Nigerian, some of them are lottery scams out of Holland or Spain). In Canada, the telefraud department address to send to is wafl@phonebusters.com (wafl stands for Western Africa Fraud Line, not the tasty breakfast item)

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Seeing as you're pretty excited about getting one of these nigerian scam emails, maybe you'd like to have some of my 4000 nigerian scam-mails? Eh? :p

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Congratulations! :D

I've received a shed load of these over the years – they're not worth the bother of reporting them, in any case I don't think there's a lot the police would be able to do (although knowing Humberside Police they'd probably arrange a 'fact-finding' safari trip on public money).

I think this is the sort of site you're looking for...

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You could try doing one of these. This guy (acting like a woman) managed to get a scammer to waste a huge amount of time and money.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Reply and tell him you're coming to kill him. He'll panic and set his computer and belongings on fire and run for the hills... or maybe not. :p

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I think I've just wet myself due to laughter. I hope you'll buy me a new pair of pants now :D

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I especially like the part where she mentions that her company, Swollennutz, has just opened a new facility on the Hershey Highway in New York City.

You couldn't use that joke on (most) Americans... but on a Nigerian, it works perfectly. :D

And no, no new pants for you...

9. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Here's mine from when I was selling my Xbox..

"Hello seller,
    I am willing to purchase this item as a gift item (Christmas gift) from you, i will like to know if the item is still available, so also the present condition, along with this i will also like to know the amount you wish to sell, do you accept paypal as form of payment?, if you do, kindly calculate the postage cost to this address, and get back to me with the shipping cost and total cost of the item.
    SHIPPING ADDRESS
    ADDRESS: P.O. BOX 4206 IBARA, CITY: ABEOKUTA, STATE: OGUN, ZIP CODE: 23439, COUNTRY: NIGERIA.
    I will be hoping to read from you soonest.
    Regards
    Jeniffer"

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Thus is begins...

I begin my hoax. Inspired by your wonderful link ClayJ...

CRAP! just as I typed the above I got an undelivered message email :( looks like it ends after all. damn. I really was looking forward to this.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

They are even now starting to use telephone TTY services for their scams. We have had a rash of calls at work for shipping large quantities of film to Nigeria. And when we advise that we don't ship overseas, then they want it to go to some third party here in the states. :eek:

12. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I just spent the last 45 mins reading that. Hilarious! :D:D:D:D