Nigerian Scammer!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ChrisWB, Jun 14, 2006.

1. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2004
    I've listed my computer on eBay and received all sorts of odd questions. One guy kept asking me if I'd please leave my personal data on the hard drive. When I said no, he said, "Well, can you at least not wipe the drive before resetting it to factory settings?" Gee, I wonder what you're after buddy.

Another guy kept giving me a hard-luck story and said, "I can only afford $100. If you'll take the $100 I can get it to you immediately." The problem is, I can't afford to sell my computer for $100. I think I had to explain this four times in separate emails.

While selling my iPod I received this message:
    This didn't seem too far-fetched, but I like to check up on things. Turns out the guy's Paypal account was suspended for unauthorized use. I turned his offer down.

Finally, I received this little message:

Does eBay just attract off-beat people? All I'm trying to do is complete a smooth transaction! I have completed over 60 or so transactions, many of which were for audio equipment or computers, and never had any trouble. Most were completed a few years ago. Has the market changed (for the worse) that much in the past few years?
  2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    They offer these "deals" all the time because a certain percentage of sellers will fall for them. It's the same reasoning behind sending spam e-mail to 1,000,000 people so a few will buy magic weight loss cream.
  3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    Ebay is full of not so bright people. I get stupid questions all the time. All my auctions say, "Only PayPal" "I ship only within the US" "no exceptions". Then I get emails asking if they can use a different types of payment, and interantional shipping. Then there are those emails that talk about how they are going to win the auction, yet the auction isn't even close to ending, and guess what, they never win.

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    I hate when people refuse to ship outside of US, I mean africa and asia are one thing but what is wrong to ship to Canada or Europe?
    Let the buyer deal with customs and tariffs.
    If I refused to ship outside of my country I would never sell my stuff for a decent amount.
    I have emailed sellers who said will ship to US only and asked them if they will ship to canada, 70% of the time they will say no problem, and the same goes for paypal only, if the seller/buyer is local I will do cash or cheques but not non-local . It can't hurt to ask. Maybe the mega stores dont care but when you are selling only a few item why turn down a potential buyer.
  5. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

May 4, 2005
    Not too bright

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    Hey, if he doesn't want to accept any offers, that's his business :D

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
  8. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    "When the son of the deposed King of Nigeria emails you directly asking for help, you help!" :D

Too obscure?
  9. ChrisWB thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2004
    The Office.
  10. makku macrumors member

Mar 22, 2006
    Wow that is plain wrong.
  11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Sucker born every minute.

That is why I will seek other options to sell of some of my "excess" photo gear through "other" channels - rather than deal with the eBay crap. I may not get as much, but I can "hopefully" rest easier that I won't get taken.
  12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Send me the money and the machine, I could really make use of both.

And I won't be scamming you -- just using what you send me. :(
  13. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C

Europe is far away but Canada might be even closer then some states in the USA. I normal ship to lower 48 states only on eBay(with an iMac G3 because it was big) but i'd gladly ship my iPod to canada
  14. lexus macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2006
    Depends Greatly On The Weather
    Check out for some scam baiting.