"Night of the Tiger" Questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JackSYi, Mar 26, 2005.

1. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

Ok, here is the thing, I am a student at UCSB, which is both in Santa Barbara and is not close to any Apple Retail Stores; I recently have become a Mac Addict and I desperately want to attend the release of the new Mac OS X Tiger at a retail store. My plan is to spend a couple of hundred dollars to fly myself into San Francisco to attend the release party there (I figure if I am going to spend money and travel to attend this thing, it would have to be at somewhere special). My question is, what is your experience at the Night of the Panther at the Apple Store in San Francisco, and do you think it would be worth spending about $200.00 to attend it?

2. Bear macrumors G3

I went to both the Jaguar and Panther release nights at the stores local to me. Driving 80 miles roundtrip wasn't bad for Jaguar and there were great people to talk to in the line. And 26 miles roundtrip for Panther (at a store that opened after Jaguar was released) - also the same. I'm not sure it's worth the time and the money to trip as far as you would have to do. I'll probably go again if scheduling permits although I'll be pre-ordering Tiger from Apple as soon as I can.

3. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

You do not want to actually buy Tiger at an Apple Store. Tiger is expected to sell at the current education price of $69. You can purchase it at either the Apple educational store online or your university bookstore (if they sell Apple stuff). The education/retail versions of the OS (I believe are identical in content) have different product codes and the retail versions are the only ones stocked at the stores.

Also, I suspect you might want to check out if any Los Angeles area stores (Unless you're from L.A. and want to get away ;)) are closer.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

They don't offer academic pricing on software in the retail Apple Stores?

5. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

I haven't encountered this first hand, but I've noticed a bit of complaining about this on a few threads.

6. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I realize that I won't get the educational discount, but I still want to attend the release party.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is that for real? Over here in Australia we don't actually have Apple Stores but we have resellers which are pretty much the next best thing. Even they sell at discount prices for edu. I'm pretty sure that there's only one place (David Jones) that doesn't.

8. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Ok this thread seems to be rearing off track. I reckon that you should go. I live kinda far away, i would love to go. I say go...if you are willing to spend $$$.

Anyways Enjoy
    DjVoTeZ

9. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

That's going to end up being a VERY VERY expensive copy of Tiger lol :eek: :eek: ........ Spend your couple of hundred dollars on an iPod Mini or that rumoured two button Apple mouse. :p

10. JackSYi thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you put it into that kind of a perspective, then I guess it is not really reasonable to spend that kind of money. But then again, this is one time opportunity to attend the Tiger release (who knows when the next release will be).

11. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

San Diego here! Its cool to see so many so cal people on here! ;) :D

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Not that I know of... I'll try bringing my Student ID next time I go and ask, perhaps?

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you have friends in SF? Are you going to get to do any other fun stuff? I'd be with the others who say...meh.... if you're just going to fly there for a Tiger release party. I personally wouldn't pay that much money to go to a release party unless it was the one at One Infinite Loop. :D But if this is an excuse to go to SF, it's a beautiful city, and I'm sure you can have a blast there over a weekend. I always have when I've gone there.