Night photography

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Teezie, Feb 7, 2006.

1. macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I went out a few nights back at around 2am to experiment with my camera a bit.

The sky was a bit odd that night, a lot of low clouds moving pretty quickly. I was at my girlfriend's house - the street lights in her neighborhood are orangy-white, not bright white.

Here is one of the shots I got. It's hard because it's pitch black in the viewfinder, all focusing is obviously manual.

The only thing I did in PS was nudge the black forward a little, and resize.

[​IMG]

f/4, around a 5 second shutter, ISO 400.

2. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why did the sky come out so orange?

Anyway, you filming Blair Witch 2 or something?

3. Guest

iGary

That looks real nice, Mike.

I'd hang that one up. ;)

4. macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Yeah, it's one of those pictures you just want to keep looking at just because it's strong, simple, and a little abnormal. Definitely a good shot.

5. macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I assume because of the low cloud cover, and orange street lights. The lens is absorbing all that funky light, and with the shutter open that long some crazy stuff is liable to happen.

I'm afraid it's too late to film Blair Witch 2. ;)

I was going for a painterly approach. Trees at night remind me of some of Jackson Pollock's work:

Thanks for the nice comments guys. :)

There's some vignetting here, I hope it's not my lens - I shot that one with the L.

7. macrumors regular

jsfpa

I shot this on the Beach in Stone Harbor, NJ at 4:30 am.

1000 iso f/16 30 sec with a Canon D60

Attached Files:

8. Tel
    macrumors regular

This is one of my only night shots, I took it on the way home from work, it was the day I picked up my tripod so I figured I test it out before I got home. This was not long after the London Underground terrorist attack and that guy in the shot is a security guard at the station, his partner was standing next to me at the time, he came over demanding to know what I was doing but after talking to him for a while he was OK with it, I told him I'd delete the image if it didn't meet his approval but he seemed to like it and thankfully he let me keep it. :D

Now if only I could find a way out of working lates, I'd be able to get some more night shots. :eek:

Attached Files:

9. thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

10. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, definitely cool.

I like how this forum just keeps growing. :cool:

11. macrumors 603

iSaint

Love that shot! I have an odd dream every so often that it's real bright late at night, and I'm confused if it's nighttime or not. This reminds me of that dream! Very bright moonlit nights do it, too. I would love to see some pics taken of a full moon lit evening.

12. macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Pitch forking mulch in Nova Scotia, Canada
    Mike Teezie and jsfpa, do you guys think you could post a higher res version of those pictures?
    Like one that would be good for a desktop?

Thanks.

13. macrumors 6502

Tel's train picture reminded me of this one I took a few years ago. I was at a friends apartment one night and the RR-crossing bells were going off for about 20 minutes straight. Wondering what was happening, we wandered down to the crossing (which, by the way goes across the only driveway to the apartments.) The train was just sitting there 1/4 mile away, but we waited and I snapped this pic as it went by.

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 6502

Do you have a full resoluton version?

If so, please post it.

Same to the OP with the orange sky + tree photo :) .

15. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I wish I had my photos here, I have a few good night shots from around campus. I'll try to post a few when my PowerBook comes back from Apple...

edit:
    Here's a picture from my collection I thought was nice... It probably fits an "Industrial" theme a bit more than night, but it works.

[​IMG]

This one was taken with my dad's Digital Rebel (I'm not sure what model exactly.) It's taken at night, but it's well illuminated with the lighting at the Texas Capitol. I'll need to dig deeper to find some other night shots.

[​IMG]

16. macrumors 68020

G4scott

This shot was taken in San Diego some time ago. I was out wandering around, and thought it'd make a nice shot.

[​IMG]

17. macrumors member

Good God I love this shot!

18. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

very nice pictures all. i really need to freaking take more pictures!

19. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Photos taken without a tripod or anything since it was sort of a spontaneous thing, and so I know they're sort of blurry (or at least one of them is very noticeable). Anyway...

Attached Files:

20. macrumors regular

Attached Files:

21. macrumors 6502a

cgratti

22. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed. I'm thinking of werewolves when I see that pic.

23. macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

I posted these pix on the Landmarks thread in the picture gallery a few weeks ago. I've only been taking photos with anything approaching a half decent camera for the last couple of years, and would be interested in peoples' views. I do like night photography, it's always been something I've wanted to do, but had previously always been beyond me. Now I have a better idea of what to do, and a camera capable of longer exposures. :)

Port Talbot Steelworks, in South Wales
    Charing Cross Station and Hungerford Bridge, London
    London Eye, Shell Centre and City Hall, London

Comments would really be welcome...

Attached Files:

24. macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

Nothing too exciting, I was on my way to Aylesbury (25mins) and was a little bored to had a go at taking some pics along the way, i was a passenger by the way :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Camera pointing at the mirror, being followed by a BMW i think...

[​IMG]
    Reminds me of good old Tron :cool:

[​IMG]
    Came out kinda funky, the trees having lots of blur and the pylon being fairly sharp

[​IMG]
    I think they were christmas lights, certainly enough colours

bigger pics can be found here - http://www.beigematchbox.co.uk/site/mainsite/Other%20Stuff/D86505F3-B324-48DC-AB15-BD7C99842D45.html

All the pics were taken without a tripod (kinda hard in a moving car) with various settings, all came out a little dark as i couldn't keep the shutter open long enough and still get away without too much blur :)

25. macrumors member

Preacher85

I can't remember what my settings were for this pic, but it turned out really nice. Especially for the camera I used. Canon PowerShot SD400 Digital Elph.

This was a sunset as seen from Memorial Park in Rapid City, SD in July 2005.

Attached Files: