Night School

Discussion in 'Community' started by Shaun.P, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hey guys,

This year I'm starting an Bsc in Maths and Physics (including computer science) at the University of Glasgow. I want to be a maths teacher. However, at the end of my 4 years of the Bsc I will have to study teaching for either 1 or 2 years. Before I can do teaching I need 'Higher English' a qualification which I failed on when I first sat it. Higher English is something like A/AS Level English. Anyway, I got a book for college about night classes going on in the area and there are a number that appeal to me! Due to this I have decided to study Higher English at night school later on in my honours degree (when I'm defintely sure that I want to be a maths teacher). So I have decided to do other courses at night school, fun, perhaps easy courses but I want help on deciding which ones to pick.

I hope you can help!

The ones that appeal to me are:

Criminology - This course will consider the psychological, sociological and environmental causes of criminal behaviour, and the implications for society and the individual. The role of the media in crime will also be considered. - 10 weeks. Qualification - College Certificate.

European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) - ECDL is the internationally recognised qualification which enables people to demonstrate their competence in computer skills. It is designed specifically for those who wish to gain a benchmark qualification in computing to enabale them to develop their IT skills and enhance their career prospects. The ECDL syllabus is designed to cover the key concepts of computing, its pratical applications and their use in the workplace and society. It is broken down into seven modules, each of which must be passed before an ECDL certificate is awarded. 33 weeks. Qualification - European Computer Driving Licence.

Microsoft MCSE - candidates are required to pass seven exams or the equivalent that include the following: four operating sysytem exams, one design exam and two selective exams. The whole course will be delivered at the college. Successful candidates will be qualified to work as a network administrator, system administrator, manager of information systems and a variety of other high-level IT positions. 2 years. Qualification - MCSE through external exams.

Web Development - This courses is aimed at those who wish to develop fully fuctioning websites and learn how to do it using coding and using a proprietary package like Dreamweaver. You will design your website and source the content for it. You will implement the website using two different methods then upload it for use on the World Wide Web. To do this course you will need a good knowledge of PCs and must have used the Internet extensively. 26 weeks. Quaification - One (2 credit) SQA (Scottish Qualification Authority) Higher National Unit.

Digital Photography & Photoshop - An Introduction - A flexible, practical course offering opporutinites for beginners or those wishing to refresh their skills. The course will cover: Digital Camera Techniques; Digital Processing, Image Manipulation using Photoshop Software, and Printing. Basic printing materials will be provided. - 6 weeks. Qualification - College Certificate.

Conversational Italian - Level 1 - Fun, basic level course, no exam and little writing. Qualification - n/a

Conversational Spanish - Level 1 - Fun, basic level course, no exam and little writing. Qualification - n/a

I have a good knowledge of PCs and Macs. I am very interested in photography and don't really know how to use photoshop. I have my own website but it was made using an authoring package. (shaun.martinplanttransport.co.uk). I would maybe like to pick 2. But some might clash. I don't want anything way too hard which is going to effect my uni work.

Right now I'm thinking of the web development course, criminology, or conversational italian/spanish.

What do you guys recommend?

2. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Well...I'd be happy to put in my thoughts on this. I think if you've narrowed it down to ones you like, you should totally consider the ones you've narrowed it down to. Seeing as you have a pretty good knowledge of PCs AND Macs (which companies always love), it might not be worth your time (and could get a bit boring) if you were to take the courses that would give you qualifications in the computing area.

The criminology seems nice, but speaking from my experience studying it full-time, if you already have other studies going on, it might bog you down. It can become a bit of an intensive course at times. The others seem a bit more fun and might pique your interest a bit more. And learning a bit of a language is always useful when you travel to another country and feel good about being able to get yourself around a metro and bus system and the such without giving off the "look at me, I'm a tourist who knows nothing of the language here" vibe...lol.

But any one of those sound great overall...best of luck in your endeavours!

3. MacHarne macrumors 6502

How good it is to hear someone else who is enthusiastic about their education! I've taken a criminology course ("Deviant Behavoirs") earlier at my university (more so focused towards the sociological features, but did touch all aspects at least briefly) and I loved it. It's great to take something totally unrelated to perhaps turn an area of ignorance into a thriving interest. Good luck with the schooling!