Night Watch/Nochnoy Dozor (Movie)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, Feb 2, 2006.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

This trailer just came out on Quicktime today....

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/night_watch/

Looks like it has some real potential, I've never been big on horror, however I might be interested in seeing where they go with this.......but the thing is, what is the difference between the version coming to the states soon and the original version that was released to Russia two years ago? Is this a remake or is it some sort of re-release. I can't find any info on it on IMDB and I don't know where else to look.

I'm confused. :confused:

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

Nochnoy Dozor came out in Russia like two years ago, and the DVD's already out there. Apparently the only difference between the original and the US version is that the english subs for the movie are more creative than traditional subs (ie some are animated to complement the movie). Other than that, I suppose you'd ahve to wait for the release.

Nochnoy Dozor isn't even out in the US, and the second part of the trilogy (Day Watch/Dnevnoi Dozor) is already out in Russia. God, I love this country when it comes to foreign films :mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad:

At least they're not remaking it :eek: :eek: I think i'd just die then, US remakes of blockbuster foreign films tend to be suckier than the original.

3. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Thanks for clearing that up....I was just confused because it didn't seem like it was available in the US yet...but when I looked it up on IMDB it said "released 2004" and it had several thousand votes. :rolleyes:

Hollywood obviously couldn't let a good foreign film happen without a hand in it.

Blargh.

4. Tel macrumors regular

It was released in 2005 in the UK, its a really cool film though I wouldn't really describe it as a horror. Its more like a dark version of the Matrix in a way. Oh, and the subtitles are excellent, they really add to the film. Worth seeing on the big screen, I enjoyed it a lot.

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

you can get a copy on ebay for $5.
    Its a good movie but the books are much much better, maybe they will be translated into english soon. The books explain the relationship between the Dark and the Light much better and the characters as well... but I have to admit the special effects are pretty cool...TigerCub and the rain of crows...

6. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

I plan on catching it in the theater when it comes out....it looks like something that would be enjoyed much better on a 20 foot screen than a 20 inch screen. :D

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Looks awesome from the trailer i will go see it

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I saw posters for Nochnoi Dozor at at least one local movie theatre in Charlotte last summer, with a release date of Summer 2005.

Looks like they had some trouble finding a distributor... Fox Searchlight usually sticks to "indie" films.

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

From what i see it is only being released in theatre in about a dozen cities and i don't see it coming out at other theatres soon afterwards.

At least i can't find it on the official website or on movietickets.com website

10. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Like I said in an earlier posting
    It is already available on DVD with english subtitles
    If you dont want to buy it on ebay
    go to a video store and look in the foreign movie section, or go to an european store that has videos/dvd and I am sure you can get it.
    its a movie that you do need to be able to stop and rewind cause sometimes things happen so fast. and a break is needed halfway through...

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i actually enjoyed the movie quite a lot back in october/september but i think i have to read the book as well ...
    sometimes the movie feels like a video clip with it's fast cuts but the whole scenery and story is going to leave you with wanting more

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Well it came out at Borders and I bought it today. Too bad it is only dubbed in english, but it was a very good movie, and now i need to find version with english subs

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wow looks cool...I saw this like last month and thought it would never come out here...I'm interested...tell me how good it is.

Bless

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I really need to find the russian version of this movie because i was watching a trailer in russian and it just sounded so much more badass than the american version.

However i really recommend this movie to everyone and anyone. Kinda a mix between Matrix, Lord of the Rings, and Underworld yet not a mix at all and something new entirely, really really good movie.

Now i want this movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409904/

Dnevnoy dozor