Nightlight...............

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Dec 21, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Does anybody still use one when they go to sleep? I know I do! Hey, is it true that it eff's up your eyesight over time? Or is that just a RUMOR... lol :D

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Sounds like something your parents told you so you'd stop using one.

Either that, or you are staring into it from a few inches away until you fall asleep? :p

Anyway, we usually have a night light on out in the hallway, in case we or the kids get up in the middle of the night. We sometimes leaves things (boxes, clothes hampers) out there, so it's not safe for your shins to assume the path is clear.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i used to require some sort of light to fall asleep, but that was years and years ago now

i need darkness now to fall asleep, not all the time, but it helps more than not, but i dont really need a nightlight, my eyes actually become accustomed to the dark quite fast so i dont have to worry about bumping in to stuff

4. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

We use one in the bathroom, because we have 2 kids. It also makes sense so we can see without having to turn on the overhead lights.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

umm I like to watch TV as I goto bed but thats not a requirement, its a type of night light I suppose, I could also goto bed with the radio on, i think its more about the sound.

The one thing I can recommend is lowering your standards of how you goto sleep. I know your going off to college soon and your better off if you can sleep whenver, my roommate used to stay up until 5:30 doing random stuff around the room everyday of the week .... what he was doing who knows but when you want to sleep its best to be flexible.

6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That thing about nightlights messing with your eyesight long-term certainly can't be judged by my experience. I had a nightlight for most of my childhood (used to be scared of the dark). On the one hand, my night vision is pretty good, but on the other, I've had to wear glasses since I was four. :)

7. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

I don't use one on purpose but I have one of those "Ionic Breeze" air cleaners in my room and I usually run it with the UV light inside turned on (they claim it kills some germs but that could all be b@!!$#!t for all I know :)). Anyway, there's that UV glow lighting up part of the room. It's enough to see if I get up in the middle of the night . . .

8. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

The last thing I want is any light when I get up to pee in the middle of the night. That's why I pee sitting down at night.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Pretty much what powermac said.

We have a half-bath off our bedroom. At the other end is our bed, and I sleep on the far side. So when I get up to use the john, I sure want to be able to do it without banging my foot or shin on the bed or some other object in the way.

What's funny is, this is a little 4w light that's around the corner in the bathroom. My wife used to complain that she could see the light from it, even with her eyelids closed. I tried it, from her side of the bed, and I have no idea what she's talking about. I told her she must have reptilian (thin) eyelids or something. :p

10. applekid macrumors 68020

I need my night light because of the things that go bump in the night...

Okay, seriously, we have night lights in each bedroom and in our living room (it's an apartment). It helps to see where you're going when it's pitch black without lights. Just a little logic there :) I mean, sometimes I wonder if people just enjoy running into walls, etc.

And it doesn't help our apartment doesn't have any ceiling lights so lights are not quite easily accessible. So, night lights are sorta needed.

Until someone buys me a pair of NVG that are easily accessible, I think I'll keep night lights.

(I hope the monster under my bed won't hurt me tonight...)

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I have a hard time sleeping when there is ANY light, or ANY noise. I cover up my powerbook's charge indicating light and sleep light with a shirt. I'm a sucker for noise, too. It helps me to have the AC or heater fan going. It drowns out all the other noises, and what not.

12. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Overshare my man......overshare.

13. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I'm the same way....any light at all bugs me....vcr clock LED's, alarm clock lights, any source of light is a distraction when I try to sleep. I also listen to Coast to Coast AM every night...puts me right out. Especially when they start talking about out of body experiences, and other boring subjects.

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm also the same way about light (infact I posted here about any hacks to change rate or turn off the pulsing light when my Mac is asleep). I go so far as to use electrical tape over LED's on electronics with only a thin sliver of them showing to see if they are on. Digital Alarm clocks are a big pain they are almost always too bright, I took apart my current one and used window tint scrap and put it directly over the display.

If you think I'm being overly picky, I need to be. A week ago I left my T68i face up on my dresser at the foot of my bed, and tossed and turned till I opened my eyes and realized it was the green pulsing LED on the phone that was preventing me from sleeping. I could see the light of that LED reflecting off my bedroom wall with every pulse. :mad: I just turned it over and covered it with my wallet and crawled back to bed and finaly went to sleep.

Quite the difference from when I was a kid and demanded that the door to my room was left open. I think for me the only 'nightlights' I'd get now are those ultra-energy saving nightlights that glow (like a dim version of indiglo watches from timex). They have just enough light for me to see by and navigate my way around hallways and bathrooms.

15. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I find most light and noise distracting when trying to sleep. Not as bad as some on this forum, I don't need to do anyhing with the VCR/Stereo lights, the lights from my phone don't seem to bother me, and I am usually trying to increase the brightness of my clock.

We sometimes have a nightlight in the Bathroom, makes for an easier trip at night, as I hate turning on lights. My nightvision is pretty good so the little light from what I mentioned is usually all I need to get around and the nightlight in the BR is enough to do my business and get back to bed.

16. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

nightlights in the bathrooms but none in the bedroom - but I do have 3 fans running (ceiling, box, and oscillating) and I pee standing up at night ;)