Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lovetheduns

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
What an absolute **** show.

I have never had an issue with upgrading before but thought seemed like a good idea at the time on my iMac. I was running Yosemite with current updates. Everything seemed to go okay until I hit the point where it was supposed to restart and get to the welcome messages and what not. Never got there. Continuous restarts with kernel panics.

I tried pretty much everything from trying the internet recovery, reinstalling the OS, I couldn't get to my time machine since my drive was password protected (external drive). Couldn't do the internet recovery since my original OS was older than Yosemite. My backup on the external drive was old anyhow so I opted to use an unused USB hard drive to make images of my 600GB iMac with multiple images of different folders (since this took many many many many hours). This idea I got off of one of the Apple Support forums.

Finally got around to erasing the iMac (started the upgrade at 230pm EST yesterday and just now got Capitan installed on a clean version at 12:18AM EST-- looks like the iMac was still on PST time).

Just an overall distasteful experience with tons of lost productivity and god knows now the whole process and reinstalling all of my crap.

Sloppy sloppy sloppy

Last edited:

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
What an absolute **** show.

I have never had an issue with upgrading before but thought seemed like a good idea at the time on my iMac. I was running Yosemite with current updates. Everything seemed to go okay until I hit the point where it was supposed to restart and get to the welcome messages and what not. Never got there. Continuous restarts with kernel panics.

I tried pretty much everything from trying the internet recovery, reinstalling the OS, I couldn't get to my time machine since my drive was password protected (external drive). Couldn't do the internet recovery since my original OS was older than Yosemite. My backup on the external drive was old anyhow so I opted to use an unused USB hard drive to make images of my 600GB iMac with multiple images of different folders (since this took many many many many hours). This idea I got off of one of the Apple Support forums.

Finally got around to erasing the iMac (started the upgrade at 230pm EST yesterday and just now got Capitan installed on a clean version at 918pm EST).

Just an overall distasteful experience with tons of lost productivity and god knows now the whole process and reinstalling all of my crap.

Sloppy sloppy sloppy
Apple stated that this version of os x is suppose to fix "under the hood." You must have a bad "car."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.