Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
A month ago (over here in the UK) my girlfriend asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I asked for the 16gb iPad mini wifi, I have owned every ipad up to number 3 which I sold recently. She ordered and we waited for delivery.

The other day she checked online and it had apparently been delivered and signed for, we checked with neighbours and no one knew anything about it. We are a small gated secure property of 3 houses and the neighbours are lovely people, who we trust 100percent.

So anyway we managed to obtain proof of delivery and someone had signed for it using a different first initial with my girlfriends last name, she phoned TNT and Apple and apparently it had been delivered to (in TNT's words) a "dodgy looking man" hanging around outside the gate saying it was for his missies!

Even the TNT driver admitted the man looked like a drug addict and really dodgy! So why let him take away the parcel!

Anyway, my girlfriends getting a refund from apple (who have been great) I have ordered a 16gb mini with wifi and 4G instead from somewhere else (as thats the only model I could get my hands on) and signed up to a 4G monthly rolling contract so its not all bad as have always wanted a cellular ipad, but thought I would share the story.

trevpimp1

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Wow bro really scary when that happens sometimes. I wouldn't want to lose my ipad like that haha good luck u did get a refund ha

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
lol yeah, oh well £$%^ happens and all that. Glad apple and TNT have been really good over it.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Yuck. How did the dodgy guy know your girlfriend's last name?

Thats the bit we don't understand lol, have absolutely no idea, plus the delivery driver said the guy was behind the gate but there is no way he could have been as there is no way of getting in without a key - so he must have been in front of the gate. But we never see anyone hanging around outside!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Even the TNT driver admitted the man looked like a drug addict and really dodgy! So why let him take away the parcel!
Great resolution. As for "why" would they let him take it? You cannot, as a delivery driver, decide you won't deliver an item if the person doesn't fit your personal description of "normal." It sounds like it was delivered to some dude at a gate; that is fairly unacceptable.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Great resolution. As for "why" would they let him take it? You cannot, as a delivery driver, decide you won't deliver an item if the person doesn't fit your personal description of "normal." It sounds like it was delivered to some dude at a gate; that is fairly unacceptable.

Yeah I thought so as well, but then TNT have redeemed themselves by sorting it all so quickly. I'm not really blaming the company as a whole, just bad judgment on the drivers part I guess. Bet delivery drivers are really busy this time of year.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.