Nightmare!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by forthebrave, Jan 2, 2006.

1. forthebrave macrumors regular

You know when you watch those scary movies when everything just goes wrong for the character, like being chased through the woods and tripping on a log, car not starting, etc.. Well, I'm not going through that life threating situation, but my iMac is!! Where should I start....

I bought my iMac G5 in Hawaii last year day before Xmas. Then moved to Japan and brought it with me. Worked great!! So XMAS morning I wake up turn on my iMac, open some presents, enjoy XMAS morning, noticed that my iMac went to sleep, go to turn it on but stays black. Sleep light is on, but hitting the keys or moving the mouse never wakes it up. I restart and my computer turns on but display still stays black. Ok, so now I start to panic! Use my Powerbook to look online for similar problems, try booting from CD, but no dice.

Furious, I take my iMac to APPLE STORE JAPAN which is a 30 min. train ride from my house. The guy at the Genius Bar tells me that the model I got has had some issues with the logic board and that Apple can fix it for free. I leave it with Apple and then get a call 3 days later saying that it wasn't a problem with my logic board but my display?

Since I brought my iMac in the day after my warranty expired the guy was cool enough to extend my warranty for a few more days.. but...... according to Apple warranty, desktops are not under the 1 year warranty overseas!!! great.... so Apple Japan says it will cost $700 to fix in Japan but free in America ( Hawaii ) if I bring it to Hawaii by Jan.3. Ok, well that's impossible!

I call Apple Store Hawaii and talk to a " genius " there and was told that the repair number that Apple Store Japan gave me was wrong and that they use a different format. So they use my serial number and find my repair issue, but ALL IN JAPANESE!!!! The Apple " genius " tells me that he doesn't understand Japanese and that he will have someone look at it for me and e-mail me back. So time is running out already and I'm waiting for this e-mail, " to be free, or not to be free.. that is the question.. " I get an e-mail telling me this...

- Apple will repair it for free but I have to bring it to Hawaii by Jan. 3, when it's already Dec.27th and I am in Japan!! ( ticket to Hawaii $1,000, sending through express mail round trip $500! I don't think so.. )

- if I buy Apple Care by Jan. 3 it will extend my warranty for 2 more years and I can bring my computer to Hawaii anytime within the 2 years.

Cool!! I can by APPLE CARE for little less the $200 and can get my $700 repair fixed !! but....... THE NIGHTMARE CONTINUES!!!! According to Apple Care, if I bought a computer in America I can only buy Apple Care in America. If I buy Apple Care in Japan in won't cover my iMac that I bought in Hawaii?? Ok... so I'll just buy Apple Care ( america ) online and it should arrive just in time before my warranty runs out!!! BUT THE NIGHTMARE CONTINUES!!!! Since I live in Japan and my Credit Card doesn't have a U.S. Shipping Address I can't buy APPLE CARE!!!!!??? GEEEEEEEEEEEZ!! talk about kicking me when I'm down!!! I finally called my friend in Hawaii begged him to buy me an APPLE CARE PLAN and he gave me the enrollment no. through e-mail!! I got the number, registered my iMac and hopefully it extended my Warranty. But with my luck, I'm expecting the unexpected!!

You may say " well we told ya, allows buy APPLE CARE!!! " sure, well now I got it, but..... if anything goes wrong.. words from Apple--> " Be aware though, that since you purchased the machine in the US, repairs would only be covered in the US, just like the issue you are experiencing now with the Japan store. Anytime your machine required servicing, it would need to brought to a US location. " waaaaaaaaaaake me uuuuppppp from this NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!

2. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

That does sound like a support nightmare and a beurocratic mess. I'm sorry you had to go through it!

You should be okay though. With Applecare enrolled, you're under Apple's umbrella of protection. That is lame they don't honor international repair etiquite. I remember I had a problem with mine when I was abroad in London and got it taken care of there no problem...

Good luck man, but rest easy I think all is okay now.

3. Apple X macrumors newbie

Not lucky..

I would bring it to somebody ( a friend) who know many things about electronics, and ask him if he could repair it...
    Probaly it would void waraty, but if he is can fix the problem than the nightmare is over
    Tought, i would try first to get support of apple but i know apple as one of the worst company for after-buy support
    And when you have paased out warranty, I would not bring it to an apple center for repair because they ask huge price to make it...

*Sorry for my bad english

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

We'll hope you get it fixed all right. Though thanks for sharing that info about overseas and warranty repair. I was told at an apple store that laptops are covered worldwide... didn't hear what he said about desktops... don't know if what he said was true anymore though!

Good Luck.

5. forthebrave thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, only laptops are covered overseas!! I think I'm one of the few that drags their U.S. DESKTOP around like a laptop!!

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

have someone in the US buy the applecare for you. repay them. ?

7. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I see, well at least we know for sure... it would be nice if they also covered desktops, kinda stupid, they should support both... maybe they don't wanna pay the shipping fee for a heavy desktop?

8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

This is the reason I prefer portable computer to desktop. It seems ForTheBrave was hit by the perfect storm (desktop, out-of-country, warranty going out) for any computer owner.

9. mac-er macrumors 65816

There is only one way to fix this...

sjobs at apple.com

The end all be all of all Apple problems.

10. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

That's his email address? Knowing him, I'd expect something a bit more grand.

hahahaNeXTowns@apple.com

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Saw this article on AppleInsider and it made me think of this post. Hopefully this will help people in forthebrave's situation.

12. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

What for? Applecare doesn't cover his Mac in Japan... so why should he pay Apple for NOT repairing his computer?

13. powerboy macrumors regular

You are actually quite lucky. If they hadn't extended your original AppleCare Warranty you would have been dead in the water. I imagine most places would have just told you that you were out of luck. I hope everything ends up okay and you get the problem fixed under your extended AppleCare.

14. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Applecare is now worldwide for both all desktop and laptops.