Nike+ Accuracy Woes...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jay42, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    I have also posted this on the Nike+ forums, but the site is far from terrific so I am hoping someone here has some advice:

I have clocked my running distances using the Google Maps Pedometer ( so I have at the least an estimation of how far I am running. Today the sensor recorded about 1/2 that distance and my pace was way off (like 13 min/mi) when I know I usually run somewhere between 7 and 7.5min/mi.

So, time to calibrate, right? WRONG! I paced out and .25 mi on city blocks using Google Maps Pedometer above, but when i hit "MENU" to stop the calibration it said the distance did not match the input. It only recorded .09 miles when I know I ran close to .25! What is the point of the calibration if it won't let you tell it how far you went?

I think the problem has to do with my set-up. I'm using a pair of Asics in which I cut a hole under the footbed with a Dermel tool. The hole is just after the arch on the heel side - seems close to Nike's notch. It doesn't appear that the sensor slides around - especially under the weight of my foot. I also have it right side (logo side) up like it should be.

Any suggestions? Thanks....
  2. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    Try attaching under the laces with velcro tape instead and see if that gets you any better results.
  3. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
    I ran on a tread mill last night because it is actually cold in Texas for once. I went 4.25 on the treadmill and 4.00 on the nike+?! Confused too...
  4. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I know this is an old thread, but hoping I can get some help. My calibration has been WAY off. When I first bought the setup the Nike+ unit consistently showed me as having run 10%-20% further than I actually had. I finally calibrated it, but now Nike+ is shorting my runs consistently by about 20%. Last night I ran a known 5.5 mile course, and it showed up as 4.15 miles. I expect some degree of inaccuracy, but that much? Any ideas? I use it on a 2nd Gen nano with Nike shoes... anybody?
  5. gotzero macrumors 68040

Jan 6, 2007
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    I have found mine to generally be within a +/-10% tolerance.

I do not enjoy running, and like the device because it lets me set a distance or time goal, and lets me know how much I have left to put up with. I have found there is a fair bit of variation, but I have come to compensate for it.

If you want to have an incredibly accurate representation of your run, I would recommend getting one of the GPS units, which is yield better results.