Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
I have also posted this on the Nike+ forums, but the site is far from terrific so I am hoping someone here has some advice:

I have clocked my running distances using the Google Maps Pedometer (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/) so I have at the least an estimation of how far I am running. Today the sensor recorded about 1/2 that distance and my pace was way off (like 13 min/mi) when I know I usually run somewhere between 7 and 7.5min/mi.

So, time to calibrate, right? WRONG! I paced out and .25 mi on city blocks using Google Maps Pedometer above, but when i hit "MENU" to stop the calibration it said the distance did not match the input. It only recorded .09 miles when I know I ran close to .25! What is the point of the calibration if it won't let you tell it how far you went?

I think the problem has to do with my set-up. I'm using a pair of Asics in which I cut a hole under the footbed with a Dermel tool. The hole is just after the arch on the heel side - seems close to Nike's notch. It doesn't appear that the sensor slides around - especially under the weight of my foot. I also have it right side (logo side) up like it should be.

Any suggestions? Thanks....

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I ran on a tread mill last night because it is actually cold in Texas for once. I went 4.25 on the treadmill and 4.00 on the nike+?! Confused too...

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I know this is an old thread, but hoping I can get some help. My calibration has been WAY off. When I first bought the setup the Nike+ unit consistently showed me as having run 10%-20% further than I actually had. I finally calibrated it, but now Nike+ is shorting my runs consistently by about 20%. Last night I ran a known 5.5 mile course, and it showed up as 4.15 miles. I expect some degree of inaccuracy, but that much? Any ideas? I use it on a 2nd Gen nano with Nike shoes... anybody?

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I have found mine to generally be within a +/-10% tolerance.

I do not enjoy running, and like the device because it lets me set a distance or time goal, and lets me know how much I have left to put up with. I have found there is a fair bit of variation, but I have come to compensate for it.

If you want to have an incredibly accurate representation of your run, I would recommend getting one of the GPS units, which is yield better results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.