Nike Could Partner With Apple to Bring NikeFuel Features to iWatch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 22, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Nike is said to be trimming its Fuelband team as the company moves its efforts away from hardware in order to focus on its NikeFuel and Nike+ software. What is next for Nike for may be a partnership with Apple to produce a Nike fitness app that could pair with Apple's iWatch hardware, theorizes GigaOm.
    In arguing for a Nike and Apple tie-up, GigaOm points out the long history between the two companies, which includes the 2006 Nike+iPod product, which paired a Nike sneaker first with an iPod Nano and later with the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch second generation. Most recently, Nike was a featured partner in the iPhone 5s launch, releasing its M7-compatible Nike+Move app shortly after the smartphone's launch last September.

Nike earlier this year also announced plans to open up its Fuel fitness system to third-party developers as part of its Nike Fuel Lab initiative. Though not mentioned as being included in the program, one of these Fuel Lab partners theoretically could include Apple. In this scenario, Apple would bring the hardware expertise that Nike lacks, while Nike has the name recognition among the fitness crowd and slick marketing that Apple could leverage.

Apple is rumored to be releasing its iWatch with a late 2014 target launch date. Recent predictions from KGI Securities analyst Ming Chi Kuo suggests the iWatch could be Apple's most important product of the year, surpassing even the highly anticipated iPhone 6.

Article Link: Nike Could Partner With Apple to Bring NikeFuel Features to iWatch
  2. macrumors 68000

Jan 30, 2008
    As an avid FuelBand user - it genuinely changed my life - I'm a bit disappointed but long knew this moment was inevitable. It's a nice but niche product, and you have to wholeheartedly buy into the "Fuel" methodology.

With Tim Cook on the Nike board and the rumoured iWatch really gunning for health/fitness capabilities, a fusion of Nike's software (which is excellent and constantly improved/updated) and Apple's hardware expertise makes perfect sense.

It will happen.
  3. Guest

Jan 22, 2014
    Earth's Core
    I really hope they will partner up and design the next generation wearables, mainly shoes and offer a whole new product segment, which u could call "intelligent clothing"... makes sense?

I hope so.
  4. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    you sound like a google adword campaign :p
  5. macrumors 601

Jun 26, 2009
    long island NY
  6. macrumors 68030

Dec 29, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have been saying this forever. It is utterly baffling that it took the media this long to figure it out. Connecting the dots was not difficult at all, even a year or so ago the handwriting was on the wall.

Did anyone think Tim was going to leave the board of Nike and compete directly with the company he's been helping to build for some time now rather than partner? Did anyone think that the Nike Move app released in partnership alongside the 5s was a coincidence (test run of integrating Nike software with Apple hardware)? Did we all forget about Nike + iPod?

Oh, and while I'm at it, the plant in Mesa, AZ is manufacturing sapphire crystal display covers for the watch face. No, they are not making displays for phones (at least not yet).
  7. macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    I hope Nike does something exclusive for Apple rather than providing Windows and Android phones with the same capabilities.
  8. macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2011
    Exactly. I think this was so obvious. I mean why would Nike continue to make a device that they couldn't compete with Apple on and with Tim on the board, I'm sure he gave them direction/advice and assure them that they would be software #1 on it IF they wanted to partner. (unlike that Schmidtt *******).
  9. macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2011
    Michigan, US
  10. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2012
    Central California
    Yes the COULD

They could also NOT

How speculative !
  11. macrumors 68000

Jan 30, 2008
    Yeah a few of us have been saying this for ages.

Other tell-tale signs: no Android app; the SE not being the massive update it needed; Nike basically giving it away (my original FuelBand died 2 months ago and they just no questions asked sent me an SE instead).

As you say, this was inevitable - but now with Nike firing so many people, it's sure 99% going to happen.
  12. macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2014
    In between a rock and a hard place
    Why? :confused:
  13. macrumors 68000

Apr 11, 2013
    Washington D.C.
    I think this is a huge rumor.

Does this mean that the iWatch is going to be more of a band (like the nike fuel band), or more like a watch, with nike fuel band technology in it?

What comes to mind is the Samsung Galaxy Gear Fit, and the Samsung Galaxy Gear (1, or 2).

I hope they do something more like the Galaxy Gear (watch), but I feel like if they're working with Nike, it'll turn into more of the Gear Fit (band).
  14. macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2010
    I was a huge Fuelband fan myself... until about 3 months ago when the firmware update promptly FUBAR'd my band. I have had 3 warranty replacements in my first year... so now it's just sitting on a shelf. I hope the Apple product has some solid reliability behind it's core features.
  15. macrumors G3

Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    "COULD" is such a big word for this story. I would like to see this happen. I like nike and I like the Nike FuelBand.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jan 10, 2006
    would love a premium Nike fuel band type experience
  17. macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2011
    Dundee, UK
  18. macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2011
    Kansas City
    I was planning to switch to iWatch when it comes out, but if it has the lame "fuel" system from the Nike band, I'll just stick with my FitBit.
  19. macrumors 6502

Mar 7, 2006
    Knutters Knoll, Melbourne

The last thing I NEED when going for a run is my shoe telling me I'm beginning to underpronate....but by god I WANT it.