'Nike+ GPS' Free For a Limited Time

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple and Nike have a long history, dating back to the 2006 introduction of the Nike+iPod Sport Kit that combined a sensor embedded in special Nike running shoes wirelessly linked to a dongle interfacing with iPod nano hardware to communicate a number of different metrics about the user's workout and to integrate audio feedback. That relationship has continued to blossom, with Nike+ software now built into iOS for more powerful tools on the popular multitouch devices.

Last September, Nike launched a standalone app known as Nike+ GPS, which relies on the GPS and accelerometer functionalities of the iPhone to track runs without the need for a special shoe sensor.

While Nike+ GPS has been priced at a consistent $1.99 since its debut, Nike today dropped the price tag entirely for a limited time in celebration of the five-year anniversary of the Nike+iPod relationship.
    Nike+ GPS is compatible with the iPhone 4 and 3GS, as well as the second-, third-, and fourth-generation iPod touch, although GPS and other features requiring Internet-connectivity are obviously limited on the iPod touch.

Article Link: 'Nike+ GPS' Free For a Limited Time
  2. a91
    macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2009
    I Actually bouth this for 2.99

i threw out so much on iOS apps, now i just don't buy any:D
  3. macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2007
    MiCoach from adidas rocks, and it's been free since the start.
  4. macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2008
    I think the advantage with Nike+ is the website and the huge community.
  5. macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2009
    Still not worth it..

I've not tried miCoach but I have tested Nike+ GPS pretty well.

Two points about it:

1. It's not very accurate (unless they've improved it recently)
    2. The website is very slugish, made with Flash.

I've you're interested, my short review is up here:
    I ran almost 140 km with it for the test.

I now use RunKeeper, which is also free for the basic functions and find it extremely accurate (only a few hundred metres off on a marathon) and much more fun to use.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2008
    For me, Nike+ was the gateway to Garmin. Everything I was able to do with Nike+ I can do with Garmin. Sure it's a little more expensive, but it's so worth it. More accurate, not tied to my ipod, etc.
  7. macrumors newbie

May 23, 2011
    I didn't like Nike+ so I tried a few other running coaches and there is no better App than runtastic. Very feature reach but clean UI. Even if Nike+ is currently free I would still recommend runtastic for running or endurance sports in general (they really have a lot of sports types to choose from).
  8. macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2010
  9. macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2001
    This app is well worth the original price of $1.99. Hell, it would be worth the price of $19.99. For free? You'd be insane not to download it.

I've logged 270km on Nike+GPS. It's helped me set goals and get in better shape. After a run it can tell you you mile/km split times and plot your route including elevation and pace. It's fantastic to pour over this data and just plain old geek out while you're resting from a strenuous run.

As for accuracy, it seems to have gotten better over time. When the app was first available and I tried it out it showed me crossing the street several times where I did not, but after a few updates the plot of my route is never off by more than a few feet.

It's true that the Nike+ website is done in flash and is pretty slow and can be obnoxious.
  10. macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Runkeeper. Its free (now) and has a better community and web layout, and is pretty spot on. I live by it.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2008
    Irvine, CA
    same here. I love RunKeeper :)
  12. macrumors 68020

Apr 15, 2004
    Washington DC
    Not to mention a lot less awkward to wear. For 10mile+ runs this is crucial.
  13. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

Jun 17, 2009
    --Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    I got the kit a year ago and couldn't stand the little pedometer so I returned it.
    Gps is better.
  14. macrumors 68030

Feb 4, 2009
    NY State
    Why NOT download it? I liked the idea of Nike + iPod because I run but I was more interested in the exercise then mapping it with a bunch of running junkies (lol). Just downloaded it though I'll probably give it a try tomorrow.
  15. macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Isn't the accuracy of any of these apps going to be highly dependent on local conditions and the accuracy of the iPhone GPS?

I understand that each app may have different algorithms for determining location, just not sure how much an impact that could have from app to app.
  16. macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2008
    Does Nike+ run in the background?

Either it's user error or Nike+ doesn't run in the background? Am I doing something wrong? I know Runkeeper does and I LOVE that app. I like checking email and stuff when I slow down to walk halfway through my runs. I also noticed this is just a running app, right? Runkeeper can also track my cycling, walking, hiking, etc.