Nike-Philips psa[128max - any other users?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jxyama, Feb 2, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    k, so i finally broke down and got a flash based mp3 player to replace my iPod for jogging...

nike-philips psa[128max... it's rather pricey ($150) but it has a rechargeable battery with it. and i like the weather proof finish and sturdy arm band.

my only complaints are a little difficulty in setting up and the lack of shuffle play. it is also supposed to be iTunes compatible - haven't looked into that yet.

anyway, was wondering if there's anyone else out there using this mp3 player. wanted to share some tips, perhaps.

i also welcome comments about other small capacity flash-based mp3 players used for jogging...
  2. Nikko1965 macrumors member

Oct 31, 2003
    Nike-Philips psa[128 whatsit

Bought one of these for 'er indoors at Christmas and I admit it was a bugger to set up and it didn't immediately hit it off with OSX.

After a lot of digging round the internet (which made me very popular with the "new games to play" division) I finally found some downloadables called "Nike PSA-128 Formatter" and "Nike PSA-128 Updater" on some contrived Philips/Nike site (God bless Google). Now, don't start to imagine that Nike/Philips actually give a monkey's about proper support but this actually gets OSX to recognise it as an external drive. The OS9 software is too much of a pain to bother with and only works with the dated version of MusicMatch provided. After loading the files I mentioned you can then use drag and drop to load your player and on occasion it will appear recognised in iTunes but this is the kind of random event Schrödinger's Cat panicked about.

On the whole it's ideal for the jogger/hourly commute user especially in cities where an iPod could cost you your life. The sound is good, the eq is customizable and though shuffle would be nifty it's still a good and sturdy bit of kit for the price.

A word of warning however: The thing comes with a series of amazingly high powered magnets to use as clips to attach the thing to your clothes. These are Cash Card mag-stripe killers if you tend to keep your plastic in any pocket within a few inches range.