Nike+ should i buy?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by giganten, Feb 26, 2007.

1. giganten macrumors 6502a

I think i will buy nike+ tomorrow, is it worth the money?
    Should i buy nike+ shoes too, what model?

2. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

I've been using the Nike+ sport kit for about 2 weeks now, and absolutely love it!

I have found the unit to be extremely accurate right out of the box (within 100m on a 7km run) and very easy to use. It's been really motivating as I try to get back into running on a regular basis after a bit of a (cough) hiatus.

As for shoes, I'd only go with the Nike+ shoes if you actually like the shoes themselves, and they suit you for running. I personally don't wear Nike shoes to run, so I bought the neat little Shoe Pouch by Grantwood Technology. It's a very simple neoprene pouch, but it's inexpensive, well made and it works great.

I'd say it's well worth the money. Good luck!

3. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Nike + got me into running and has kept me into it.

Therefore it's probably the most succesfull lifestyle purchase i have made.

Get one!

4. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I don't have a nano, so I can't comment on the actual kit, but it sounds cool.
    From past experience, all nike running shoes I've owned have been overpriced junk. All you're paying for is marketing and fashion. Asics, Saucony, and Brooks all make great shoes, depending on the shape of your feet.
    Hope this helps,
    wmmk

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i say buy it. i use mine just about everyday. only get the shoes if they suit you

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Like others, Nike+ has kept me very motivated. For the price, you can't go wrong.

7. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

go for it!

I had a $250 Garmin wrist GPS, returned it, got a Nike+ like it so much better!! I always run with my nano anyway, and it seems very accurate and easy to use!! I do not use it with the special shoes, they are crap, just get some velcro. The Nike+ armband case is excellent, I reccomend it too. I have huge arms and it still works too.

8. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I find this funny for some reason.....:D

9. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, you have convinced me. I will order Nike+ today.

Will go to the store and try some shoes too.
    The Shoe Pouch looks great, i did find this RunAway.
    Which of them is best, is the the sensor protected from water, snow.

10. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Here's a big list of Nike+iPod shoe accessories and hacks. Any of them will work just fine. The main thing to remember is that the sensor has to be firmly attached to your shoe so it can't move or bounce around at all. Otherwise, you'll get inaccurate readings. The sensor's seams are fused together, so it is quite waterproof on its own. Some people are experiencing sensor accuracy issues when running in extreme cold, but that also applies to people using the Nike+ shoes.

Hope this helps.

11. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac

Buy something NIKE+:apple: Whatever. Who needs it? You lazy bastards!!!:)

12. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Flowbee for the link.

I did try one of the nike+ shoes today, didnt like it. Had no more time to try any other shoes because they had to close.

Any one here that have the RunAway? Is it good.

13. BengalDuck macrumors regular

The kit only works with the Nano iPods, right?

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Right.

15. copperhead macrumors member

16. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did buy Asics GEL-1120 yesterday, very comfortable.
    But i dont know what pouch to buy, Grantwoods shoe pouch, RunAway or Marware Sportsuit.

17. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Wa wa wee wa! I have the same shoes. Apparently the're good if you pronate slightly -which I do.

18. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It really just comes down to personal preference. They all work, so there's no need to worry about making the "right" decision. I personally think the Marware pouch is priced a few dollars too high, but otherwise, they're all good choices.

19. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did order the Grantwoods shoe pouch and the nike+ kit today. Think I will have them next week, thanks for the help. :D

Any good advice or challenges I should join.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm in the process of acquiring the goods -- I don't have a Nano, just a 3G/15GB, so I'm getting that, the Nike+iPod Sports Kit, and figuring out some way to put the sensor into my Saucony's. I'm really excited about it -- right now, I run about 5-6 miles per day, 6 days a week. So I'm excited about using it to get more data about my running and keep me motivated as I train for marathon #2 (#1 having been in STL, 4/2005).

21. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

I have been using Nike+ for about 6 months, its been great.

I use it with the $10 marware pouch from eBay, works very well, maybe +/- 5% on it's readings, fine for me.

22. Sambean macrumors newbie

JUST DO IT!

It really does work well!:cool:

If your are buying Nike shoes .....they all have the cutout for the sensor......I use a clip for the top of my shoe that transfers to any shoe.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So update time!!! Did you get one? I've completed five runs on mine now (every day starting Wednesday), for a total of about 33.5 miles. I've really been enjoying it. Jury-rigging it to fit on my Saucony shoes really didn't take more than a couple of minutes... I might redo it at some point, but it's working excellently as is. I got firmly devoted to returning to training about 5-6 weeks ago, so it wasn't the Nike+iPod system. However, it has been excellent in terms of pushing me to "train" as well as just run longer distances and more consistently -- i.e. actually pay attention to my time splits and so on.

24. giganten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep i did get one. It is fun and it works very good. I did also buy the Grantwoods shoe pouch. :D

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Great! Hopefully we'll both be part of the MR Nike+iPod running club next month! :)