Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by carbonmotion, Mar 19, 2007.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I've been hearing alot of good things about the Nikkor 50mm...
    I have a D40 and I do alot of city scape shoots...

is 50mm ultra wide angle or at the very least wider than the 17-55 kit?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No. 17mm is wider than 50mm.

3. karebihun macrumors newbie

4. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

Get the third party Sigma 10-20mm ultra wide non fisheye zoom.

And no the 50 is not wide, on a digital body camera it is 75mm due to Nikon's 1.5x crop factor.

And remember the smaller the number the wider the lens.

5. shambolic macrumors regular

Let's also remember that the 50/1.8 is a non AF-S lens, i.e. lacks a focus motor in the lens body, and so cannot be autofocused with the D40 body.

I can heartily second the recommendation of the Sigma 10-20, though. Has HSM (Sigma equivalent of AF-S, so will autofocus fine on the D40), well-built, and just a fantastic perspective...

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'm not sure how resolute I'll be; but I've (more or less) decided to stop buying lenses for my D70 until they start refreshing the primes as AF-S. I really like my 35mm, but being able to tweak the focus without having to switch to manual mode is just too handy.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

1) Set you ket lens to 50mm and look through the viewfinder. A 50mm prime will have the exact same field of view. It's a moderate telephoto on a DX format camera.

2) I think the D40 can only use AF-S type lenses. This is one reason I don't recommend the D40. I think the 50mm is AFD. I always suggest to pick out the lenses first and then shop for a body to fit. Doing it in that order prevents this problem. I think the only AF-S prime is the 200mm f/2 which is not cheap. OK you can use the 50mm on the D40 but it will not automatically focus. You will need to rotate the focus ring

I have the 50mm f/1.4 and it's the lens that I use second most right after the 18-70mm that was the kit lens on the D70.

8. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm got the Canon equivalent of that 50mm Nikkor and I absolutely love it. I bought it instead of a kit lens though, so I have no zoom lens at the moment, which is kind of lame. All in all, though, a 50mm prime is a wonderful investment. I don't know about the Nikkor, but the Canon one is EXTREMELY light, which helps as well.

Daniel.

9. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Just bought this lens a week ago for my Nikon d50, and I absolutely love it. It's a must have for any Nikonian kit!

10. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

i use manual focus alot, actually since I don't do many action shots