Nikon CoolPix 5000

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cursor, May 23, 2003.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I was looking at buying a Nikon CoolPix 5000. We looked at the Canon G3, but the Nikon is 5 MP, over the Canon which is 4. I can get the Nikon for $700 with the rebate. Does anybody own the Nikon? How do you like it? Any experience with the Canon G3? I'm just looking for some comments (good OR bad) about either or both, so I can make up my mind.

2. chazmox macrumors regular

Have you looked at the 5700? I was in love with that camera but just couldn't justify the price. Did find it for $750 to $800 at some internet retailers but also found out that none had ever any intention of selling the camera at that price unless ridiculous accessories were also bought.

Settled for the S602 ( actually really like the camera so I hate the word settled ). It has a 3 Meg SuperCCD which can extrapolate to 6 Meg - don't really believe it but I did think it took better and more detailed shots than the G3 in person - dpreview doesn't agree - check out their reviews.

However, the S602 had better ergonomics than any of the camera I tried. Also, the 6x optical zoom was better than the G3.

Have you also checked out the Sony ( F717 I beleive - the 5 Mp with the 5x Carl Zies Zoom ). It's really nice if it fits in your hand ( funny ergonomics ) and can get over the memory stick limitations. However, the lens is superb!

3. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

the 5700, which you can find for similar prices BLOWS AWAY the 5000. 8x zoom, fast AF. Better low light focus. etc etc etc.

The rez is about the same, the 5000 seemed more saturated but the 5700 had more detail.

The Minolta Dimage 7i is a good deal and can be had for around 700 but you DEFINITELY need extra batteries for it. Right eye?

The 5700... which i had for a weekend (i ultimately went d100 which is something i shouldn't even talk about... heehee.) is very formidable. Not all of the commands are easy to access, whereas the Dimage IS easy (all the commands/controls have dials on the camera)

I couldn't get used to that on the 5700. Also the Dimage's lens is a bit faster than the5700 but the macro ROCKS and the BEst Shot Selector actually works.

I'd say flip a coin. But i'd get the 5700 or 7i over the 5000 anyday. The 602 is a nice camera... but it leaves weird diagonal artifacts. I've seen that on everyone i've used. Almost like, weird discolored jpg compression

4. chazmox macrumors regular

The cheapest I've seen the 5700 for ( real price - not fake come on ) is ( I think ) $999 from a vendor I could trust ( blimey! just can't remember which ).

The concerns I have about the 7i is the battery life ( I've heard horror stories ) and area fill noise...

haven't seen the diagonal artifacts on my S602...

5. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Thanks guys, I'll keep this advice handy. Hopefully I'll have my new camera in a week or so!

6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I've been looking at getting a Digital Camera. It would be my first one, and I want it to be good. I was actually looking at this camera, but I think it is too expensive for me. Unless I win the lottery or something....

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I've got a cannon g2 and i love it, considering there is only a small difference between the g2 and g3, i'd say you can't go wrong with the discontinued model. You can find g2's on amazon for $450. *shrug*

8. garzy macrumors regular

nikon is really losing the battle these days...

the coolpix 5000 kinda sucks...
    i preferred the swivel body of the previous models and the 4500 as many other people did

it is a cumbersome camera to hold as well

as for the 5700, i have heard it has SLOWER AF, especially in low light
    it is more suited for landscapes and portraits that have prearranged gesture (no movement)

in the "prosumer" market, im sorry to say that sony is really the best deal. the lens/ccd combination carl zeiss and sony have worked together to acheive really grasps the most detail and brilliant color. i like that they make simpler cameras, that are very inuitive and function as they should

good reviews of cameras can be found at www.dpreview.com

dont jump into buying a digital camera! it is a huge mistake many people are making these days. research and make sure you know what these reviews are talking about, or you will end up buying something that will not suit you!

good luck!

9. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

if carl zeiss actually made that lense it'd cost 10x that amount. it's just a label. :)

10. garzy macrumors regular

zeiss does manufacture sony's lenses, its just to a different standard than maybe hasselblad or contax glass

although, many people dont know that that many of their lenses are not manufactured in germany anymore, but rather engineered there, and then produced in japan

11. garzy macrumors regular

i cant justify buying any of these "prosumer" digital cameras at the moment. anyone who is semi serious about their photography understands that these cameras arent really suited for real work (even some of the cheaper DSLRs). the image quality is just not there at the prosumer level. i think a lot of people would be better off shooting E6 and having a good lab scan the transparencies.

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

By "cheaper" DSLRs are referring to, say, the Canon D60/10d or Nikon D100? Cause if you are you obviously don't know what you're talking about...I get just as nice prints (22x30 is the biggest i've gone with no problem) from my D100 as I ever did from a film camera. I use my digital photography almost daily in my designbusiness and my clients and other designers are continually amazed at the output results.

My old ad agency shoots sandwiches (with food prep of course) for billboards in-house. They use a coolpix 880. And the results... again... are AWESOME.

You sound like one of these film luddites who I occassionally run into who eschew digital only because they're afraid of Photoshop. Granted, I don't think a P&S digital is better than a film SLR. BUT i don't think a filme P&S is better than a film SLR either. And it goes all the way up to medium format...I don't think my d100 is gonna beat a Hasselblad MF... but i think a Hasselblad with a digital back is just as viable as one with a film back.

13. garzy macrumors regular

yes, the d100 and 10d are cheaper DSLRs. heh, i think i know what im talking about. obviously we come from two different worlds. a graphic designers needs are very much different than a professional photographers. im am definately not afraid of a digital workflow. it is one i have adopted, as all successiveful, competetive photographers have. when working in a studio environment, i work almost exclusively with high end digital image capture backs on a range of medium and large fomat cameras. but you must understand, there are situations in which working with digital image capture simply is not a good choice. we will shoot film, then scan that in.

14. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

i understand where you're coming from... but i run into so many pros who are luddites who don't think digital is worth anything. And it's definitely annoying.

And these are people who have NEVER given it a chance. Who are commercial photogs.

I'm assuming you're doing stuff where you need a certain rez scan? I know fashion covers need a certain res scan...

15. garzy macrumors regular

well, im just a photographers assistant. i havent hit the big time yet. i still mantain a professional attitude and work in the exact same way as one would. i have access to some pretty awesome equipment.

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

ok. i'm asking for it... tell me what you have access to so i can be jealous

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I own a Canon A60, which is like buying a Nikon 2100/2500...........

*runs and hides in embarrassment* :eek:

PS: What's the difference between a P&S and SLR camera? I figure that the P&S camera stands for "Point and Shoot", but how is the image quality affected by having a P&S camera. Sorry for the ignorance, but I'll eventually find a photography class of some sort........when I have the time. ;)