Nikon D2x and F6. 12.4mp!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moxiemike, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Well, Nikon has done it. They've spent more money for me. The just released D2x is a 12.4mp pro DSLR camera with 5fps, a wicked cam2000 AF system, awesome ergonomic body like the D2h AND optional 802.11/g capabilities. The cam also has a 6.8mp "crop" mode that allows FAST 8fps shooting, a li-on battery good for a (nikon rated) 2000 shots per charge (wow) and all of this for a street price of $3800. Given that the only other "double digit" mp cams, the Canon 1ds and Kodak SLR/n and SLR/c are priced at $7999 and $4999 respectively....Nikon gets more of my cash!

Interestingly enough, they also released a film body, the F6. Combining the look of the F100 with some of the internal guts from the F5 and integrating a lot of the digital deatures (i-ttl, wireless flash, etc) this cam look spectacular if only because it'll surely be the body for the next mid-level digital from Nikon, which should be a 10mp competitor to the Canon 20d.

But the D2x...i'm buying. :)

D2x @ Dpreview

D2x at Rob Galbraith

F6 at NikonUSA

D2x at NikonUSA

Attached Files:

2. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

D2X

The chase between Canon and Nikon is great for consumers, and interesting as well. I think Nikon got a bit behind some of the Canon innovations for a while, and in the long run that has worked out to our advantage.

If you weren't going to buy the D2X we'd have to take up a collection to get you one--your work is deserving!

3. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Thanks for the props JDar. :)

Hey. FFIW, i'll be putting this thing on my credit card... so if any MR members wanna buy some of my photography....you can. Buy a photo and I'll mail you a print on archival paper, suitable for framing. :)

Evoluzione has made some big prints of a photo of mine if I recall.. maybe he'll testify to image quality. ;)

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

How long has it been since they released the F5? A while hasn't it?

5. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Yea. I believe the F5 was release in the mid-late nineties. Maybe 1996 or so.

6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

haha, yeah i printed out a black and white, at about 12x15 or something i think...looks great.

oh, and that credit card....how about helping me buy a Canon 20d and i'll output some of your prints on my new Pro4000 (calibrated) for ya ;)

7. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Yea. I've printed some shots at 24x36 on my HP large format. Pretty slick quality for sure. Maybe if i start selling print here... we could work out a deal. ;)

SO you gonna grab a 20d or see what the D200 has to offer... I hear it'll be that F6 body with 8-10mp and 5fps. Hot if you ask me...

8. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

9. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

we'll see what happens when i actually have the cash, but probably the canon as i know a few people with canon lens.

you should come up, i'm living in woodstock now, it's so beautiful around here, tons of photo locations

10. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Once I finish remodelling the house I DO wanna take a road trip. I could come up, you could drive back with me, and we could get eye to fly up for a weekend in p-town.

Would be fun....

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

cool. so how's the house coming along?

just found the pic of yours i printed, #109 on the photoreflect site :)

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

crikey, thats amazing... i'm still thinking of getting a d70. have used my friends and love it. and cant afford anything much more than that...

the news ones look great. thanks for the post.

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Wow... I have megapixel envy now :( But I love my D70. Some of the features of the D2x look amazing though. I really want the battery grip though... I can't believe Nikon hasn't released one for the D70!

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am looking forward to the Olympus E-300 (E-VOLT). For a Leica shooter, it looks like it might be a good compromise.

15. phampton81 macrumors member

Where did you come up with the price $3800. I can't seem to find it anywhere, in Rob Galbraith's review he mentions that it is expected to sell at $5000 plus. I think it would be great if it was $3800 but it doesn't seem right.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Isn't that camera cheap as dirt for an SLR 12+MP camera? Aren't they normally priced from $6k to $9k? If its that cheap, surely there must be some shortcuts and liberties taken with the quality of the electronics? :confused:

17. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

'

The Canon is $7999. And WAY overpriced. The Kodak SLR/n and /c are both $4995.

Why is the price so low? Well, Nikon has been aggressively pricing their cameras fairly competitively. I also don't think any shortcuts or liberties have been taken with this cam. Nikon can't afford any slip-ups with this one, and they've had a long time to develop the D2x. If you look at it though, the D1x started at $5800 and now can be bought for $3300 after rebate. So prices on these things are going down, just like computers....

Nikon isn't apple-- they don't cripple their products in order to price them right. Look at the D70... it's got some pro-level features you couldn't get in a 20k digiSLR four years ago. ;)

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Okay.

The only logical explanation I could find is that they were hoping to convert some Canon fanboys who were interested in looking for a new SLR to replace their 6MP camera, and luring them in with the price in order to sell them new lenses.

But now that I typed out my thought in my reply, it doesn't sound as logical as I thought it did at first.

I guess technological development and a drop in prices may have something to do with it.

19. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I think converting Canon fanboys (and vice versa) is always a goal of either Nikon or Canon. Heh.

I guess with the tech development... as larger mp sensors become more prevalent, they go down in price. The reason also, why the canon and kodak are much more expensive is that they have full frame (24mmx36mm) sensors, whereas the D2x uses a DX style sensor, a bit smaller (15.something by 30.something) which is cheaper to make in quantity.

20. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The D70's just fine for now thanks...

but if I had a few grand lying around, plus a few hundred for the HD I'd need to store everything...

21. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Sure. But we're talking about application. For the few pros on the board, the D2x is a DREAM machine. Two cameras is one, essentially. So that couple grand... not a big deal. ;)

And when you have over a terabyte of storage? Well. I don't mind big files...especially when I can get paid for 'em. ;)

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hey now, magnesium isn't cheap! ;)

23. raynegus macrumors regular

Canon is rumored to unveil the 1Ds MkII next week. It's supposed to be full frame (24mm x 36mm) 16.7 megapixel and shoot at 4 FPS.

I don't have any proof of this, it's just the buzz going around the photo forums. This is a rumor site, right? ;)

Edit: Here is a little proof.

24. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Yea. You failed to mention the rumored price: $7999. That's gonna crush it! 16.6 vs 12.4 isnt' that huge of an increase in size but the price surely is. ;)

There's some issues with canon cameras that are legit, and make me avoid them (that and my investment in Nikon gear). I'm sure we'll have to wait and see how the D2x handles noise, but Canon's 1ds was unuasable above 400 ISO which makes it a pretty useless camera. The only tempting camera from Canon for me was the 1d mk II but now I can get a D2x for the same price which has an increased resolution (12.4 vs 8) and has 5fps in full mode (better than the 1ds' 3fps in 11.1mp mode) AND i can use the crop feature to get 6.8mp files at 8fps. Pretty much two cameras is one: Best of both the 1ds and 1d mk II at a similar price to the mk II.

25. raynegus macrumors regular

Nikon is a good system simply because they update their products less frequently, which can be a real pain with Canon. I've used both systems and they each have their merits.

Noise should be less on the 1Ds MkII because it will have larger photo sites on the sensor, with a smaller pixel density. Currently,

Canon 1Ds pixel density = 11.1Mp/864sq mm = 12847.22 pixels/sq mm

Nikon D2X pixel density = 12.4Mp/372.09sq mm = 33325.27 pixels/sq mm

So the D2X has 259.39% more pixel density per sq mm than the Canon 1Ds. This will translate to more noise inherently on the Nikon, just from the physics of the sensor.

Additionally, the Canon 20D likely has the lowest noise at high ISO of all cameras currently on the market. And this has a sensor smaller than anything offered by Nikon (it is 22.5 x 15.0mm). So Canon definitely knows how to attack noise at a software level as well. Canon also has a long history tweaking the CMOS sensor, which they produce, while the D2X will be the first time Nikon has used CMOS.

But, like you said, the price of the 1Ds is out of reach so it isn't even an option. I'll likely get two 20D and convert one to infrared (which you could do with a D70 if you wanted). Nikon is a good camera system, but it will be plagued by noise issues as long as they stay with a 1.5X crop factor. Canon on the other hand, has to produce those huge full frame sensors which will likely keep their top end models out of price range, at least for a while.