nikon D70 and Rebel

Discussion in 'Community' started by javabear90, Apr 25, 2004.

1. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I'm thinking about getting a digital SLR and I've narrowed it down to the Canon Digitial Rebel or a Nikon D70. The D70 is more however if it is much better I will get that instead. I am leaning toward the D70 becuase I already have some Nikon gear like flashes and maby a really nice lens. (my mom is a portrait artist and so she's got cool camera gear (http://www.portraitartist.com/agerton/agerton.htm)

This looks like a good deal however I dought it is true
    http://www.ioffer.com/i/NEW-Nikon-D70-SLR-Digital-Camera-D-70-2-Lenses-1GB-2840342

so... what do think I should do?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

if it is only between these two cameras, then get the d70. i've shot with each, it just seems to me like the nikon interface is much more intuitive than the cannon. also, you already have nikon gear- why not be able to use it? you'll save money in the long run. i have used many of the nikon coolpix cameras, but usually shoot with the d100 or d1x. i have never had any complaints, just that i can't actually afford them! haha. :D def get the d70

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

GMU has a point about how the camera feels to you.

I would also double check on whether the Nikon gear you have is compatible with the D70.

And remember price should not be the only consideration in a purchase. Service and support should also be considerations.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you're killin me chip
    its gWu

;) :D

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Did you transfer from George Washington to George Mason Univ.? :D (Hopefully, I got those right.)

javabear90:

The feel is the biggest deal--they both seem to be technically competent. If you're satisfied with the feel of one brand, you definitely won't like the other because Canon is so different from everything else.

6. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

I have a Canon Rebel G, and i have just ordered the Nikon D70, 2 week wait for shipping as no one has them in stock. I really didn't like the feel of the Digital Rebel compared to my Film Rebel, it felt really cheap. Even though i have lenses for the Canon, i felt that the reviews and images from the Nikon were much better. All i hope now is that the G5 isn't updated till WWDC now that i have spent a little of my computer money for the camera. If not i can always cancel my order and get the comp first.

7. jzieske macrumors regular

Feel i s important in a camera. I suggest going to the store and playing with them. If the store won't let you play, leave and go somewhere that will. I got a D70 last week and have not ben able to use it much yet but I really like it. It feels more like a camera should feel (to me at least). The rebel felt like cheap plastic. Just my opinion.

-Jeff

8. acidrock macrumors 6502

I don't know about digital cameras but I have a regular cannon rebel and I have really enjoyed it but these people have left good advise.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

haha- its always been GW!! gWuMACaddict!!

anyhow... i agree- try to shoot with each of them if you can. feel is important.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You may want to sell your Rebel G and accessories before you start beating your head against the wall switching back and forth. ;)

11. MacZoro macrumors newbie

Nikon D70 is the choice, without question

Nikon D70 is the choice, without question, hands down.
    http://www.nikonslr.com/home.php
    You can literally "feel" how the Nikon D70 is a far better built camera than the Canon Rebel, and for the $100 difference without lens the Nikon wins. Even better, the Nikon KIT with lens is a far superior package for the price.
    Nikon D70 Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Zoom Lens -
    Nikon U.S.A. Warranty SKU #INKD70K Mfr. Part #25214
    Adorama Price: $1,299.95 (That's roughly $1000 for camera body; $300 for zoom lens)
    http://www.adorama.com/Refby.tpl?refby=rflAID021866&sku=INKD70K[​IMG]
    ADOBE has now listed the Nikon D70 as included in its 2.2 update of Photoshop Camera RAW for PS CS
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2461
    For maximum performance of the CompactFlash chip, I'd get a 40x accelerated speed with lifetime guarantee (instead of the one iOffer was selling) along with a JumpShot USB reader, which is superior to other generic readers.
    Reviews have not been kind when comparing the new Nikon D70 with the "plastic" Canon Rebel
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0312/03120301nikond70.asphttp://

Frankly, ask your mother her opinion. (I like her artwork, she has the gift.)

In addition to the obligatory wideangle zoom lens for digital SLR bodies, you can add an inexpensive "used" Nikon telephoto zoom to round out a perfect Nikon "system".
    A 70mm~200mm zoom on a 35mm body will convert nicely to a
    105mm~300mm zoom on the D70 Digital Body, meaning
    good portrait ~ excellent long telephoto lens.
    Hopefully, your old Nikon Flash unit and any autofocus lenses will carry over.

I just added a new $1245 Pentax *istD 6.1mp Digital SLR to my Pentax camera family for the same reason you are likely leaning towards Nikon - older lenses & equipment that will carry forward.
    [​IMG]
    The current $200 mail-in rebate solidified the "deal" for me, because it meant the excellent, and otherwise very expensive $440 Pentax 21507 SMCP-DA 16-45mm Zoom F4 ED/AL Autofocus Lens was only $240 net. Starting with an SLR Digital camera body & premium wideangle zoom lens for $1,500, I also had an autofocus 70mm~200mm zoom lens and excellent classic Pentax flash with rechargeable acid battery pack waiting for new service.

We should consider the 1:1.5 CCD 6.1mp Digital Chip to 35mm film ratio an advantage because it acts as a 1.5x telephoto converter for our collection of old 35mm film lenses. Starting with 16mm "fisheye" wideangle on the low end of the zoom makes it a perfectly acceptable 24mm~70mm wideangle zoom (35mm film style). Plus, if you own a matching 35mm film camera body, you now have a very real 16mm fisheye through 45mm wideangle zoom, which for me just retired a 17mm non-zoom fisheye with a k-mount plus conversion ring, I had been using for the last 35 years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone is wondering why all these MacIdiots are willing to spend so much money (especially when there are PowerBooks & PowerMacs to save up for) on an SLR Digital camera (single lens reflex, what you see through the lens is the picture you get) by Nikon, Pentax or Canon, the secret is that they are SLR and not "box cameras with a peep hole", and each of these manufacturers has taken the quality of the CCD chip and other technology up to a really exciting level.

The Canon Rebel set the standard as the first quality "under $1000" digital SLR camera that accepted expensive (quality) interchangeable 35mm film autofocus zoom camera lenses. In the $1,000 price range, this meant that a good quality SLR digital camera was finally accessible to the masses (of pro-am ;) photographers) who have been dreaming and drooling :p over such a digital day. In 2004, virtually all major camera manufacturers (Nikon, Kodak, Pentax, Canon, Olympus, etc.) now offer excellent quality Digital SLR cameras accepting interchangeable standard 35mm lenses in the $1,500 to $1,000 range (with or without a basic zoom lens).

There are even digital cameras with 1:1 ratio CCD chips to 35mm film available for under $2000. Not too many years ago, none of today's quality was available in digital format - not even for $25,000. And, digital still photography is going to keep getting better and better, and even a little cheaper. The stabilizing factor in cameras will always be the relative cost of lenses (which do not change much) to digital camera bodies.
    Many people do not realize that the driving force for cameras is the Optical Lens Company who got into cameras simply to sell lenses. A good optical camera LENS is the DOG wagging the camera body TAIL. Notice the one CAMERA in the middle of about 50 lenses in the photo at next to the TOP.
    If Gillette can sell you a razor for next to nothing, then they can make it up selling replacement blades.
    Printer manufacturers like Epson, Canon (again ;)), and HP will gladly sell you a 7 color photo stylus inkjet printer for COST, if they can keep you on the hook buying excellent quality replacement ink cartridges from them, which is where they make an outrageous profit.
    With cameras it is not the sale of film & processing that makes money for camera manufacturers (especially since digital requires no film, even Kodak is getting OUT of most of the film business); it is the sale of expensive Lenses and Accessories like Flash units and such.

Two summers ago, I visited Washington DC for the first time, and as I'm sure gwuMACaddict knows & understands, some of the exciting attractions in our nation's capitol is the wonderful collection of beautifully lit monuments at NIGHT. Unfortunately back then, all I had was a Kodak DC4800 digital box camera, which was ok during the day but night shots were an unmitigated disaster of digital noise. New SLR digitals are much much better. So much so, I'm ready to re-visit our capitol if for no other purpose than to recapture shots blown because of inferior equipment (well, at least the photographer was first class ;)).
    This photo of the Capitol Dome at night may look ok small, but it really sucks because of all the pink & green pixels (noise) if you could see it blown up.
    If anyone is serious about photography, get a Digital SLR camera with a good quality lens (Nikon, Pentax, Kodak, Canon, Olympus, whatever) and you will have more fun with Photoshop and iPhoto on your Mac than you ever imagined. Since there is no film to buy or pay to develop, except for batteries, taking digital pictures is relatively free of consumable cost. FREE!

Attached Files:

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I'd avoid that deal if I were you. Seems shaky. I'd buy from Ritz, Adorama, or BH Photo. I've also heard good things about Samy's Camera. Get the kit lens. It's THAT good. 28-105 working range and is EERILY silent. Image quality is AMAZING with that lens. And if you want the telephoto, get either the Nikon 70-300 ED (if on a budget) or the Sigma 70-200 HSM (if looking for something similar to the kit lens.

You'll be IN LOVE. The camera delivers sharp images that destroy the rebels. Having played with both, I can honestly say that the D70's image quality, build quality and color rendering is far superior.

Definitely grab the 18-70 kit lens. You'll regret it if you don't!

By the way, you're lenses that you have should work. Flashes will work in full manual mode. Any other compatibility issues... lemme know what you have. I'll let you know if it works or not.

I'm actually thinking of buying a D70 to work in tandem with my D100

13. MacZoro macrumors newbie

Lenses are the DOG, Camera bodies are the TAIL - look

1200mm lens for Pentax SLR Digital Camera or 35mm film Camera Body
    "Lenses are the DOG, Camera bodies are the TAIL - look"
    [​IMG]
    This lens is what is mounted to a tripod, not the tiny camera body.

True story: about 35 years ago, LEICA Camera AG of Germany, the premiere 35mm camera/lens manufacturer of Europe for the last hundred years, celebrated their 100th anniversary in 1969 by offering their best 1,000mm telephoto lens with a Leica 35mm camera, both trimmed in gold, housed in a fine wooden box, but with an Audi Fox stationwagon as the "carrying case" ...free.
    [​IMG]
    To be sure, the commerative Lens was not cheap, and it was a limited edition of 100, so you can imagine the "price" of the lens.
    Yes, cameras bodies are definately the tail to the "lens" dog.

14. montecristo macrumors member

iPhoto?

I am assuming that the Nikon D70 works with iPhoto, just plug-n-play, no additional drivers needed? (Yeah, yeah, it's a Mac, but just making sure!) :D

Thanks!

15. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Still happy with my Rebel Ti. Not going digital, yet. Maybe some day when the price comes down a bit.

Love Adorama and BH, but prefer Adorama because they ship UPS and BH sends my stuff Fed-Ex, which is a pain since i'm never home.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Isn't that a bit big to mount to a camera?

Not knowing much about Digital cameras, I own a Canon A60. While I'm actually happy with the picture quality of Canon products, I'd actually like to learn more about photography so that I can actually know what photo quality IS and not be happy with a picture just because it doesn't look blurry. :p

I want to buy an SLR camera, and thought about going the Nikon D70 route after saving up some money, but I'd really feel like an idiot going to purchase a camera like that if I didn't know about photography. And I really don't know how I'd learn about photography and SLR cameras unless I had one, and I don't know a single person who has one. So its either invest in an expensive camera like a dupe and not knowing anything about what I'm buying (or photography in general), or not buying it and continue to look down, taking pictures of my shoes because I can just delete them anyway. ;)

Forget the lens wagging the dog. I'm not EVEN the dog in my situation. I'm the guy standing behind the dog being lead here and there.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

iPhoto has no support for RAW, AFAIK. :(

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Canon has a 1200mm lens too. I could buy it and attach it to my Rebel 2k :D

And my parents have that same digicam as you. I can't stand the damned thing! Luckily, the 10D is nothing like it :D Hmm, car or camera, car or camera.... HELP! :confused:

19. montecristo macrumors member

Help! What is RAW, AFAIK? And does this mean the D70 won't work at all with iPhoto, just to download the photos to my hard drive, or does it mean that only certain other features won't work?

Thanks.

20. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Raw is a digital Negative. They will show up in iPhoto but they look blurry.

iPhoto is pretty useless when dealing with 6mp cameras. The software Nikon packages is VERY nice and robust, I think it's called Picture Project. That or Nikon View 6.2.2. Both are free.

IF you want the biggun, then buy iViewMedia.

And yea. RAW is a digital negative that allows you to adjust many parameters (w.b., exp compensation) that you wouldn't be able to adjust if you shoot jpg. The downside? It's a 4.5mb file as opposed to a 2.2 for jpg.

21. javabear90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

javabear90

Well, sorry it's been so long but, ok, my brother has a whole bunch of Nikon gear. I do not know if it will work with the d70 or not, however it would be a huge point in spending more, so here goes. we have a Nikon micro-NIKKOR 55mm, a Tokina SZ-x 28-200mm, a nikon series E 135 mm, a nikon lens series e, 50mm. a nikon lens series e 100mm and a series e 28mm. Plus a few flashes. My question is, will any of these things work with either the D70 or Rebel???

thanks,
    ted

edit: all of the lens are manual Focus.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Nikon equipment is not going to work with the Canon Digital Rebel but should provide varying degrees of compatibility with the D70. Work yes, completely maybe.

23. javabear90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

javabear90

so are you saying that I can put the lens on the D70 and have them work? I know that they won't autofocus or anything, but I would just like it to take pictures thourgh the lens. Becuase if so...... that would be jawsome!!!! :p

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ditto on MoxieMike's explanation of RAW. When you're in this league you probably want it. Apple's ImageCapture *might* let you download it (not sure?) but by and large iPhoto will probably be useless to you until you have played with the pic in some other software, if you use RAW. If your concern in DSLR is more to do with lenses and attachments and you do all your settings on-camera (??) then iPhoto might not be too bad. But, to be a little trite, iPhoto with the cameras you're talking about is like running a fancy sound system from Marantz or somesuch through $20 radio shack speakers. :(

And AFAIK == as far as I know. :D

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, the thing about cameras which use interchangeable lenses is that you're supposed to be able to buy lenses for one camera and use them later on another camera from the same manufacturer. That doesn't always work, such as when Pentax and Fuji moved from the screw mount to the K-mount in the 1970s, but usually does. Nikon and Canon users, in particular, have built quite a collection of lenses over the years.

I don't know if your outcome will be jawsome or not. :D You should try the lenses at a store with a D70.