Nikon D70: files get damaged while transferring

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by thijs101, Aug 8, 2006.

1. thijs101 macrumors newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the issue: use my iBook for transferring images from a D70 using Nikon software. Images are fine on the iBooks harddisk, but when I transfer them to any of my portable harddisks (LaCie 250 Gb or Freecom 250 Gb) some of the images get damaged. See the attached example: the line on the right on the right side of the picture shouldn't be there......

Strange thing: only happens with the D70 pics; no similar problems with images from a D70S or D200.

Anybody seen this problem before, any suggestions?

T.Heslenfeld
    www.thijsheslenfeld.com

iBook G4, 1,2 Ghz, 768 Mb 60 Gb 10.3.9

Attached Files:

2. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

from a close look at the picture, the line on the right (which actually goes all the way from top to bottom of the picture like a smudge) is a classic example of a jpeg compression "gone crazy". You often see a similar effect along the top and bottom of mpeg video where the compression works in a similar way.

The picture has all it's exif data intact, so it looks like some piece of software in one of your steps is re-encoding the picture and breaking it, rather than it getting corrupted by merely moving it about.

Try making sure that all the software you are using is up to date, and perform as few steps as possible to get it to your portable hard disks. Look at the pictures between after each step to figure out when it happens.

Are you just dragging the pictures using finder, or are you doing an export to folder in iPhoto or similar?