Nikon D70 to challenge Digital Rebel.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Moxiemike, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Nikon Developing Consumer DSLR to challenge Digital Rebel

And it's much sexier than the 300d IMHO. All black camera bodies are generally more attractive:

Attached Files:

• d70.jpg
      d70.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
  2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

thats a pretty sexy beast :)

it has a lot going for it, but it'd still be 100 more than the rebel w/o kit lens like I would be doing...

why is this in software discussion?

3. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Opps. i thought it was in software/hardware.

Looks like it'll be $999 with lens. $899 without. But it's all nonconfirmed.

That said, my "insider" told me the specs... and for the price it'll have about twice the useful features of the 300d.

That, and it's about the same size.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Looks really nice :D

But it just hints at the specs and improvements, I'd love to know more about it. Megapixel, connectivity, iso range etc...

D

5. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Well, from what I know, 6mp, ISO 200-1600, USB 2.0, possible wireless, the normal 1/4000-bulb shutter speed, etc etc.

The difference is it'll be made like the d100 body wise, not cheapy plastic like the 300d.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, the body is quite nice. I think Canon could have done better with the body of the 300D and the D70 will hurt them in that regard.

D

7. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Exacts. The nice thing is this looks like new design/high end design and is more fitting for a $999 cam, even if it's the "consumer" one.

Canon took a $200 body and crammed digital guts into it... and it just doesn't feel like it's worth $999....it feels chintzy.

8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Looks like the digital cam I waited for !

Looking forward to the specs.

It looks like Nikons answer to the Canon,

9. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Exactly.

If recent trends hold true.... Nikon's version will be ready to go and will have a long market life and success, while canon will (and they traditionally have) kill the 300d and add some features and call it the 600d or something.

And the funny thing is, the 600d will be a 300d with like,extra software features....etc etc etc.

So you can play teh Canon marketing game or get a Nikon and have some shelf life. :)

And the image quality between 'em is 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.

10. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Hooray for capitalism and free market competition!

I can hardly wait for these cameras to be half the price in a year.

11. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i would vehemently disagree with u there -- canon took a 10D, dumbed it down and shoved it into a plastic body...

the rebel isnt a point and shoot and it shouldnt be referred to as one...

The D70 looks nice, but if it weights 2lbs with lenses like the D100, I wouldnt buy it...Also, are u positive of whether or not u can order it for 899 without lense? If so, than i would probably go with it. The body seems much nicer than the digital rebel I will admit, but I dunno if I would go with it since it'd be revision a, and bound to have problems.

Other than that I would definitely give it a serious look...

All sigma lenses work with nikon right?

12. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

ok. you're completely wrong on all counts. The 300d isn't a 10d's guts shoved in a plastic body. A sensor does not a camera make!

It's a different AF system. It's different software. It's got different model selections. The flash is nowhere near as robust and functional. There's not as many ISO choices (100-3200 on the 10d... 100-1600 on the 300d). The memory buffer is smaler on the 300d. There's no option for continuous AF. The veiwfinder is of a lesser quality (darker).

Secondly, I didn't refer to a P&S camera. It's not a P&S but it's certainly not a professional camera. I think canon could have sold it for $599 if they wanted. The build quality of the body is second rate. Compared to the Minolta P&S's and the NIkon 5700, it feels like a toy.

Cameras aren't computers. Revision A products are only problematic in teh canon world, wehre they introduce a new model, and discontinue the old one, making your $999 camera obsolete and replaced with a camera that only has minor new features.

The d100's firmware upgrades have been substantial and added functionality to a camera that was 99% reliable out of the gate! The 10d's had noted focusing problems, and the 300d had big AF problems as well.

Regarding the weight...if you're aiming to really learn and improve your photography, get used to lugging stuff around. SLR systems by nature aren't light and if you wanna have all the tools to do what you wanna do... it's gonna get heavy. If you wanna just do snapshots... you'll be fine.

I'm 99% that the d70 will be prcied with and without lens, just like the 300d.

And yes, all sigma lenses work with nikons.

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That's been the biggest thing to get used to having switched from a Dimage 7i to the D100. When I venture out to do some shooting, unless I will be a few feet from my car, I'm lugging around my camera with lens around my neck, my bag fixed around my shoulder, and my tripod. That's considered light packing in some circles.

It can be a pain walking around the French Quarter in 95° New Orleans heat I'll admit.

I've already got plans to carry 2 bags when I make some lens purchases early next year. I don't particularly want to carry around all that stuff, but if it means versatility in shooting decisions depending on environments, I'm gonna do it. I'd rather be inconvenienced for a little while than miss a good shot. ;)

14. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Bingo man. well said.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It looks really nice. I'd imagine it will be a great performer too.

Today's Nikon cameras are so light compared to the old F series I used to sell in the 1970s.

It's kind of sad about the Digital Rebel, but for people who like the Rebel already, it's probably wonderful. ;)

Now, if Olympus would get going and give me a digital OM-1N.

16. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

YEEAAHHH!

This is what I was hoping would happen.
    I would like a D100, but $1500 is a strech. If I can get a D70, which uses the same lenses for $700 (assuming the retail price will be $100 less as has happend with most cameras) then I would buy it ASAP.

17. MikeH macrumors regular

For those of you that are interested this website has a bit more information on the Nikon F70 and a very extensive review (22 pages) of the Canon Rebel/300D:

http://www.dpreview.com

Incidently, Nikon are also releasing a new zoom lense with the F70, this is likely to be a low cost wide angle zoom to compete with offerings from Canon and Sigma.