Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
This thread is a couple of years old. Since then I've updated my 60mm macro to a 105mm macro (both Nikon).
Makes insects easier than the 60mm. Used to have to be right on top of them. Gives you more options. Just wish I had PS to focus stack.

Ps does a great job with focus stacking but it's not the easiest way to do it especially if you're stacking a ton of macro shots. Give Zerene a try AFB: http://www.zerenesystems.com/

It's quick, easy (automates the whole process), inexpensive and you can download a free trial. I know a macro insect photographer who swears by it for focus stacking 100+ shots into a single image.

~ Peter

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ps does a great job with focus stacking but it's not the easiest way to do it especially if you're stacking a ton of macro shots. Give Zerene a try AFB: http://www.zerenesystems.com/

It's quick, easy (automates the whole process), inexpensive and you can download a free trial. I know a macro insect photographer who swears by it for focus stacking 100+ shots into a single image.

~ Peter
Cheers. I'll check it out.

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
One of the AiS micro Nikkors. 55 3.5 or 2.8, gives you circa 85 on a DX body. You don't need AF for macro. They're razor sharp, very well made. $250 or less will get you there.

You may need an extension tube to get 1:1 reproduction with a 55mm micro Nikkor.

hval

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
I use the Sigma 180mm f2.8 macro lens for plants and insects. I love the lens.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Sigma 105mm f2.8, a tripod or mini tripod subject depending and a remote release and a lot of patience and practice will see you good, The Sigma used is a lot cheaper than the Nikon, and just as good, I have owned both 105mm Macro's, both got sold before I picked up a Nikon 200mm f4 Macro, then everything got sold before I switched systems for my journalist work, but if your sticking to a budget, pick up a used Sigma 105mm, you wont be disappointed by the results, also the sigma is an excellent portrait lens too, also check out the Sigma 150 and 180mm Macro lenses ;)

Last edited:

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Working distance may be a factor. I have a fun, inexpensive 40mm micro-nikkor that I frequently use as a moderately fast normal lens.. It is capable of 1:1, but the working distance is absurdly small. The longer the focal length, the more space between you and your subject.

hval

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
I find the Sigma 180mm great for "standing off" from live insects. I don't scare them as much.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have done all sorts of close up work and true macro/micro (1:2 to 2:1) in the past.

Slightly longer lenses do have their advantage in not having to get as close to the subject. A good macro lens will be flat field lens as well as being able to get up close enough.

As most will note, auto-focus is really not a good plan for macro work so getting a lens you can manually focus or put on a rail system makes sense. Thus, older manual lenses tend to be good fits if you want used (cheap option) lenses.

Ideally, a good review would be available on the lens and hopefully provide information as to which f-stop(s) provide the best sharpness and contrast. You may find a macro lens that is sharpest at 5.6 but most know you might want to be in the f/8 to f/16 range and thus that lens is not optimal. In the days of film cameras it wasn't that uncommon to see lenses stopping down to f/32. Usually, f/16-22 were used to have both sharp and less chromatic aberrations.

Last - While I don't sit in the camp of buying FF lenses for cropped sensors just because one day I might* go FF, macros are a different story given that tripods are used most often and one ends up using just the center of the lens. Ideally, a longer lens will come with a tripod mount to help support and balance the lens on the camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.