Nikon NX2 not compatible with Lion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Poncho, Jun 21, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Poncho

Searched forums but can't find any mention of this subject but a Nikon spokesman has said "Capture NX2 is NOT compatible with Lion! And there is no update available. A new program could take a long time until the end of this year...." [source: http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=3706]

Any NX2 users have any ideas about how they are going to approach this obstacle?

2. macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I'm not sure about NX2, but EOS Utility doesn't work either :( Hopefully it won't take as long as they said to get the apps fixed

3. macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Nikon has historically been very slow to certify their software with new operating systems. If CNX2 is a critical application for you and it has issues with Lion, then don't upgrade to Lion until Nikon has remedied any problems with their software.

FWIW, I had to hold off on upgrading to Leopard due to problems it had with Lightroom. Adobe and Apple eventually fixed their respective defects, but in the meantime I needed Lightroom more than I did the OS upgrade. You do what you must...

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Poncho

I think I'm going to set up an external hard drive with a stripped-down snow leopard os on it plus NX and boot from that just to do my images. Capture NX gives me the best results from RAW (after lots of comparisons with other packages).

5. macrumors 601

compuwar

With the right amount of sharpening, RPP produces better results for me than NX, I've given up on NX.

Paul

6. macrumors 65816

Im glad I saw this, I do have nikon NX, but dont use it, i use aperture instead.

What about camera control pro? Does anyone know about that?

7. macrumors regular

Paul,
    What is RPP?
    Thanks.

~Waybo

8. macrumors 68030

cleanup

9. macrumors 601

compuwar

The best $20 I've ever spent! :D

Read the help file before you mess around, the free version is great, but donate the $20 and get the K64 film curve- that's digital crack.

Paul

10. macrumors regular

11. macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I remember that NX2 wasn't compatible with Snow Leopard if you did a fresh install, but if you upgraded from Leopard it would work. This may be the same situation for Lion.

In either case, I'm holding off on Lion until someone proves it one way or another.

12. Vel
    macrumors member

13. macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be editing hundreds of RAW photos in a virtual machine. I would rather bootcamp Windows 7 to get the full usage of the resources.

14. Kebabselector, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

oh noes!, must check LightRoom to see if that's broken

/edit Just checked, Eos Utility looks to be o.k. It installed and imported from the camera. Lightroom 3 starts up and appears to all o.k. at the moment.

15. macrumors member

No!!

Ouch - this is NOT good news! :mad:

Come on Nikon - make a plan!

16. macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Nikon isn't necessarily quick about these things. Look how long it took them to provide a fully compatible version for Snow Leopard.

17. macrumors 68020

pdxflint

If things are going good for you right now, what's the hurry to switch to Lion? Probably better to wait until the first update anyway, typical of most major software upgrades. I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 and am only planning to upgrade to Snow Leopard next week, just to get access to the Mac App Store, but I'm in no hurry to jump to Lion until I see how much stuff it breaks that I use. It will get better down the line, I'm sure.

18. macrumors 601

compuwar