Nine-year old whiz-kid writes iPhone application

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 5, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. Guest

calculus

At least half of them look like they were written by five year olds...

3. macrumors P6

Peace

"Fluent in 6 programming languages". Mano Mano. Not bad for a 9 year old!!

4. macrumors 6502

KRAPPS

Good for him .. bravo!

5. MrM
    macrumors 6502

Holy cow. I wonder if anyone has made him any job offers yet... Ha!

6. macrumors 6502a

You're giving them far too much credit.

7. macrumors 65816

Muncher

After this article has been thoroughly circulated, he may very well get a few job offers.

8. macrumors 68000

SPUY767

"Whiz Kid" might be a bit of a stretch. I was writing software for the Mac Plus back in 1990.

9. macrumors 68000

Not to go against anyone but I remain a skeptic that a 9 year old kid can write an iPhone app, and not to mention fluent in 6 programming languages. Where do he find the time? Dont he hang out with his friends? And master 1 programming language will take a couple of years, how the heck he master 6? Started programming at the age of 4? A person can barely even talk or even read properly at that age. If he is like 16 or something then I can believe, but 9 years old?? I would like to see some proof.

10. macrumors 6502a

Cool but his skill is blown a bit out of proportion. According to his dad's website his son is an Apple IIGS programmer who has mastered ActionScript (Flash), Javascript, some Pascal variants and some BASIC variants. His knowledge of Objective-C is very little apparently.

Plus his iPhone app is merely a port of one of his Apple IIGS apps.

Not trying to say what he has done isn't incredible (I was nowhere near programming at his age) but the article kinda trumps it up a bit.

11. macrumors 6502a

yeroen

This feels like stuffing a 3rd grader's jump shot on the court.

12. macrumors 6502

how old are you though?!

13. macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Meh, I was using the computer when I was 2 and programming when I was 11 (11 years ago for me :p).

What people forget is that a Programming Language is still a Language (just like English or French). So just like becoming bilingual as a kid, they can learn a programming language. The biggest hurdle is learning the grammar. After a certain age, the brain stops growing in a certain way, making it extremely hard for a human to learn grammar or new forms of grammar.

The reason you can learn 20 programming languages after learning 1 is that they are all similar in some way. But its hard to know a whole language, you may know the general syntax but to know a whole language and its grammar is a lot of work. I have programmed in something around 20 languages too, but my forte is in C, I KNOW C.

Anyways, my point is, its not spectacular, anyone can have their kids do the same. You just have to start them early.

14. macrumors 65816

Muncher

Exactly. The reason people are so amazed though is because it's not the norm to learn programming before the age of, say, 18 or so (college) if at all. But really, kids have an incredible learning capacity. There are kids who learn morse code because they don't know it's "supposed to be hard."

It's all about your point of view.

Oh, and yeah, I'm best at C too. It just fits my minimalist/zen/engineer mentality towards things.

15. Moderator emeritus

sushi

So true!

Agree with this.

Likewise. I am a bit skeptical when they use the term "fluent" to describe his skills.

Anyhow, good for the kid. :)

16. macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

What would be interesting to find out is if he knew any core concepts (recursion, data structures, pointers, etc) or even OO concepts (inheritance, polymorphism, etc).
    I have a suspicion he did the "google way" of programming on this one.