Nintendo 64

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xtreambar, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Xtreambar macrumors regular

This question is about emulators (which are legal), not ROMS (which are questionable). Does anyone know an N64 emulator that runs well on Intel based Macs? All the ones I can find seem to only work with the old Power PC architecture.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But what would you run on your very questionable emulator if not for highly illegal roms ? :confused:
    Piracy isn't tolerated in this forum.

3. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

If you own the game (for example, the system is broken and you can no longer run your games except by buying a new system) or you run homebrew games.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i think you're wrong. I dont think its legal to download or have roms unless you yourself ripped them.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And even then its very questionable to say the least.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The forum rules allow the discussion of emulators, but not pirated ROMs.

As far as I know, there are no Intel-compatible emulators yet. Sixtyforce is being updated, but until that happens the only way is to use Windows.

7. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well since we can say emulators

try project64

you have to be in windows though

9. JimbobB macrumors newbie

There is a universal beta preview release of SixtyForce available at the homepage. I haven't tried it though, all my machines are still PPC.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Mupen64..works on my intel Mac Mini, I had SSB(only game) but I never use it, and the sound emulation was terrible

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Neat, that wasn't there a couple of weeks ago.

12. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I have yet to come across any n64 emulator that could run anything at at least 30fps consistently... on any machine...

not to mention most illegal roms have multitudes of problems; from emulator compatibility issues, to choppy sound, etc... (though i'm sure you don't care about those ;) ) Basically, it's not worth your time.

all those problems I had in the past, plus wanting to use an actual n64 controller, made me decide to be good and just buy all the games for real.

13. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I hear good things about the new Sixtyforce universal binary's performance on Intel Macs. And don't worry, Xtreambar, I have faith that you are using it to run public domain ROMs only!

14. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

wait and get a Wii. It's going to have excellent N64 emulation!

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That would only apply to Macs then. For PCs there are a lot of really great emulators. There was an N64 emulator that ran Mario64 at full speed on an old 200MHz pentium I had.

On the PC side there is excellent and fast emulators for just about every system up to the PSX/N64. Dreamcast, Xbox, PS2, and GameCube are still too slow.

As for what you play on them, there are actually a number of people who use them to develop and play Homebrew software. The Gameboy emulator NO$GB has been used by many game development studios for development and testing.

I'm thinking of getting into GBA/DS programming and will probably start off using an emulator until the project gets far enough a long to buy the necessary hardware to test it on the real systems.

16. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

except you have to buy all your old games again....

17. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

It's undoubtedly illegal but your are obeying to the spirit of the law if not the law itself. If you only download roms that you truly own than you're (imho) obeying the spirit of the law.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yup, and it will be the best on out there

19. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

I wasn't just talking about macs. hence me saying "on any machine".

I have a 2.2GHz pc, of all the emulators and all the roms I tried on it; none would stay at 30fps consistently. not to mention other people I know who have tried on their pc's with similar results.

yea, but for what? a couple dollars? Seems worth it to me. being able to rebuild your entire collection of games on a console for less than you would of spent on just one of those games new seems like a much better solution than breaking the law (whether or not you thinks it's in the spirit of the law) just to play around with a bunch of emulators and roms that probably wont even run that great anyway.

20. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If the game itself slowed down on the original hardware (which many do) then, sure, the game is going to slow down when properly emulated. The consoles aren't going to display the FPS to you, and just because the FPS drops in an emulator doesn't mean that didn't happen on the actual hardware anyway.

I've been involved in the "emulation scene" since before they started actually having GUIs, and nearly every one was completely DOS-based on coded in ASM. Emulators today definitely can stay consistently above 30fps and if you haven't used any that did then you were likely either using the wrong emulator or did not have it properly configured.

I've played many Playstation games on inferior hardware to yours and easily got consistent 60+ fps in many games (it all depends on the game and how you configure the emulator for each game). And for older systems like NES or SNES there is never a slow down unless the original hardware would have anyway, which is extremely rare.

I usually would get over 100 fps average on a game like Mario64 in Nemu64 after it was properly configured with the proper plugins, so the idea of them not even doing 30 is incredibly erroneous.

It may take some personal tweaking and configuring, but nothing especially difficult. I've played 4-player games of emulated Mario Kart 64 using actual N64 controllers (and an Xbox/GCN as well) using USB adaptors and had perfect framerates through the entire experience.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

or the alternative is owning games that are now incredibly rare. I don't think I'll be buying my NES collection again, that's why I own a NES. But I will buy Balloon Fighter and the hard to find, or even games not released in the UK at all.

22. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I even think according to Nintendo owning Emulators even is illegal according to their copyrights page.

It might have to do with the fact that to create Nintendo games you need a Nintendo's official approval to do so and so having an emulator means you can ONLY use it for playing illegal ROMs. You're allowed to make backups of your ROMs but I also think you're not allowed to play them on anything but Nintendo Hardware - like Apple's OSX EULA or something.

I could be wrong, but http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

23. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Heh, I've gotten Project64 to run at full speed with a 733 MHz Pentium III and a Nvidia TNT2 card. Emulation isnt that hard.

PS2 emulation brings my Pentium 4 HT to its knees. >.>'

You just need a modern CPU (I.E. a 600 MHz Pentium III or faster) and a decent GPU (TNT2, GeForce, Radeon) to get good results with N64 emulation on a PC.

I dunno about Mac. Never tried, as all my macs are rather lacking in the CPU department. <.<;

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

in my opinion project64 is the best out there by far....no contest

only its a windows app

the games run very smooth and the sound for 90%+ is right on

for snes , using snex9 is a perfect match to the snes performance wise

i have a question though. how are you suppose to buy the games when nintendo no longer sells snes or 64 games and even the stores like gamestop have officially stopped accepting n64 games in order to stop selling those games

i mean i have a hard enough time trying to find gamecube games and thats the current system. I mean how hard can it be to find f-zero for the gamecube............its nearly impossible

Also, a rant here, why does the government allow ea to have the only lisencing on college and nfl football games and then have the balls to not make ncaa 07 for the gamecube. I mean they arent making the game yet it is illegal for others to make a college football game. i swear i hate ea (definilty ruined all james bond games after goldeneye)

25. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

eBay? But that brings up something else I always thought was interesting about the subject... once new units aren't being produced anymore, the publisher (like Nintendo) isn't making money off any of the sales [of the used merchandise].

Obviously the copyright laws are to protect the holder's ability to make money off the item, but once the games being sold are only *Used* then they aren't making money off it anyway.

Until Virtual Console comes along, that is...

Yes, I thought them being able to do that was very anti-competitive and ridiculous! I'm not even a sports game fan usually, but them being able to do that just seemed so wrong.