Nintendo being sued...

Discussion in 'Games' started by gkarris, Dec 21, 2006.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

From news.com

http://news.com.com/2061-10797_3-6145335.html

Nintendo slapped with suit over Wii strap

December 20, 2006 8:37 PM PST
    del.icio.us Digg this
    File this under "c'mon, you had to see it coming." Just days after Nintendo announced that it would voluntarily exchange 3.2 million Wii remote straps due to reports of the parts breaking and even causing bodily harm comes news of a lawsuit against the company.

The nationwide suit seeking class action status was filed by law firm Green Welling in the U.S. District Court of the Western District of Washington. "Nintendo's failure to include a remote that is free from defects is in breach of Nintendo's own product warranty," the law firm said in a statement.

The suit, according to Green Welling, seeks to "enjoin Nintendo from continuing its unfair or deceptive business practices as it relates to the Nintendo Wii." It also seeks an injunction requiring the company to correct the defect in the Wii remote and either provide refunds to buyers or replace the ailing Wii remote.

Nintendo's Wii game console was released November 17 to great fanfare, much of it centered around the so-called Wiimote. The controller lets players physically interact with a game--swinging it like a baseball bat or a tennis racket, for example, or holding it like a gun in a shooting match.

Posted by Leslie Katz

2. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Ouch....

I hurt my finger on my XBox 360 remote, I'm going to sue Microsoft!!!

3. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

And what defect is that? People throwing it so hard the include safety measure couldn't even prevent their stupidity?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It will be interesting.

One when you start the wii you have to agree to the terms & conditions of the health & safety.

All wii games tell you the proper way to hold the controller.

I'm sure legally they have covered themselves.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Action is being taken in America no less!

My brother broke his original Xbox's hard drive (rest was fine) when he accidentally stood on the cable and it fell off his desk. Can he get compo too as MS should have had wireless controllers as standard on the first Xbox?

6. Zeke macrumors 6502

Except the original controllers had quick disconnects that came out if tripped over.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They're supposed to aren't they :p I mean mine work but his just didn't.

8. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I seem to remember something about the original XBOX controllers having some sort of release mechanism in case someone tripped over a cord. Not sure if it was included in the official release (never paid much attention to the XBOX), but might be something to look into if you like suing over stuff.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it. Bah humbug.

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Hm well Nintendo is apparently already beginning to replace wrist straps with stronger models, so they've already begun fulfilling the terms that the plaintiffs are after. What's the point?

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Look at mee!!! I sued Nintendo!!!

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The lawyers would like some money.

12. bozigle macrumors regular

Microwave Oven:
    Do not use for drying pets.

Children's Superman Costume:
    Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly.

I really don't think US has more dumb people than other countries... but at least stupid people, or stupid things done by people don't get as much legal "support" in other countries as US citizen does.

more of those at http://www.dumb.com/productwarnings.htm

bozigle... European

13. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The stupid people here are just more prominent than in other countries.

And as far as product labels/warnings go, I am more than convinced that if we removed them we would rid ourselves of a great deal of these moronic *******s. For example, if people aren't bright enough to know that coffee=hot then they deserve to get burned. Also, if they aren't smart enough not to eat.... let's say, hemorrhoid cream [hey, it's a warning on the bottle, you know someone had to do it and sue to get that on there!!] then they deserve to suffer a fate worse than death.

And as far as supporting our idiots over here...... yeah. So what? Don't be jealous that we like to treat someone from Harvard the same as some schmoe from a community college. Besides, blame the greedy lawyers [oh, and people in general].

And not necessarily towards anyone, but don't go pointing fingers at Americans for being dumb, it's just widely publicized over here because our country is run by like minded people [president, media... and so on]. Let's not forget that it's people, in general, who are stupid. I will bet you one hundred gazillion gil that there is someone related to you in your country doing something dumb. :p

I ain't as stupid as you think me is!

:D

Oh, and just for any English people who have posted about dumb Americans...... I've visited England before and I must say...... you guys are dicks! Lol. Kind of kidding, it's just I couldn't go a day without some punk kid staring me down or performing cheeky gestures with their hands or wanting to fight me just because it was obvious I didn't fit in or because their favorite football team got their butts whooped. So again, don't go pointing fingers.

edit: And yeah, those fools at wiihaveaproblem.com, most of them deserve what they got. I don't agree that they should sue but what are you gonna do? Money makes the world go 'round.

14. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

In our country they stare at you, whilst in yours they would shoot you - I know where I'd rather be.

These idiots need to hold their wiis tighter, i would have thought they would be used to that!

15. bozigle macrumors regular

Err... My post was not aim at any rate to pick up on how idiot/lame/stupid ... XXXcountry is. nor was i pointing finger to anyone in particular.
    I'm french (living in Finland) so should i point the finger to anyone it would be the belgians or the sweeds... because it's the traditional targets...
    I was only pointing out that US legal system is such that it encourage people to sue first think later... whereas in Europe anyone throwing is Wii controler would be blame for being careless and good to spend his own money to get a new one.
    The US system, like others, has its flaws. At least the "US dumb" can rely on being as much protected as the next PhD...

There is no need at pointing finger to anyone ...
    merry xmas

btz... i got the sarcastic tone of your post madog
    bozigle

16. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I don't think this case can be really compared to a case, where someone sued, becaused he burned himself with hot coffee. In this case Nintendo developed a new controller, which is radically different from most controllers used on consoles so far. They knew that the riscs attached to such a controller were fundamentally different from previous ones due to the different movements. That's why they added the wrist straps. These now apparently are not living up to the expectations, which is basically proven by the fact that Nintendo recalled them. Thus it can be really argued that the damage done by such a controller is the result of a flawed product, and the customer has a right to be reimbursed for the damage.

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The sad thing is you probably could. :(

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's awfully funny, but if I open a paper it's got something ridiculous like "Mom arrests child for peeking into presents" or "couple get married over the internet" all originating from America. When you read about that kind of stuff over here you just build up an image, but you can entirely blame your media for reporting this kind of (heh, I'm going to say it) garbage. It's like whilst in Spain I read a "celeb" mag from America, it's the ****ing worst example of literature I've seen! I thought the UK ones were bad! Bad press/media mate :) but I know not everyone is like that. Get in power and fix it :p

Your experience of England seems... fabricated? I mean realistically how many people have had bad football enouncters? Or don't they just happen around my neck of the woods, squire? The worst *thing* like that I've had was when a gang of uber-youths (really, about 8-9 y/o) tried to fight me and a friend. A sharp turn around got them running.

19. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

THANK YOU. If you swing the remote like youre frickin Barry Bonds, and it slips from your hand, it's likely the strap will break seeing as you're swinging it with every ounce of strength in your body, like that moron on youtube (can't find the video right now, but the guy swung that remote harder than you would in normal tennis).

20. aholden12592 macrumors regular

this sound familiar to anyone (cough cough) mcdonalds making people fat?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

21. Malus macrumors 6502

Omg I had a bad day today, I'm going to sue life.

22. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Heh heh... Mattress:
    Do not eat.

Those are great:D

23. madog macrumors 65816

madog

:D

I was more afraid of the gang of 16 yr. olds who would flip me the "reversed peace sign" [forgot what you Brits call it..... but it doesn't mean "peace"] and threaten me while I walked to the store. :(

10 punk ass kids from Surrey scare me more than the single guy walking down my street with a shotgun.

YES! I wrote about those 16 yr. punks before I read your part about the 9 yr. kids. It's crazy! One time I was walking with my roommate exploring the area around my sponser's house and a group of like 7 kids were screamin' "Batty boys!" at us. When I pulled out my evil stare they began a typical "F--- you, f--- this and that and your batty friend" [and in such cute accents too, by the by].

And about the soccer hooligans.... maybe you've never been to Surbiton, but there are some pretty crazy bastards there. I don't know if it's considered a dodgey place but, at some times, it was for me.

Of course I'm lighthearted about all of this but it just struck me as odd the lack of manners and general respect that many people under the age of 20 showed in the area I was living for four months. At least here, people will say, "Hello, how are you?" before shooting you in the back. Sheesh.

24. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

My wrist actually hurts from using the wrist... Not that I"d sue or anything but I think since you use it like a Baseball bat. After I played baseball for about 20 minutes I can no longer grasp anything that is close to 1 lbs. And I can't bowl or play tennis.... Just thought I'd add my complaint to the Nintendo sued thread because I am surprised no one has tried to sew them yet for this.... (i know they have warnings and what not but still)