Nintendo Chooses AOL for GCN Online

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Waluigi, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Nintendo Chooses AOL for GCN Online

Personally, I'm sorely disappointed. AOL and Microsoft are the two companies that I hoped Nintendo would never work with. I hope they don't put all their eggs in AOL's sinking basket.

--Waluigi

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Wow, since when has Nintendo lowered their standards?

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's doubtful that Nintendo would ever work with their competitor, Microsoft.

However, it's definitely too bad that it is working with AOL.

Everyone, expect slow connections and poor performance!

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't do it!

AOL blows for everything!

Nooooooo!

:mad: :mad:

5. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Nintendo is on a suicide death mission lately. This is in line with what they're plan is these days: go out of business as fast as humanly possible.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I don't like the AOL idea my self, but what other choice did they have. I certainly hope you can use it with out AOL if you have friends you can meet up with somewere. AOL should only be used to meet strangers.

TEG

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I recently got rid of AOL and went to NTL broadband because I was getting fed up with AOLs browser. If I can't go online with my GC and NTL, like I can with my Dreamcast and PS2, I will never use my GC online.

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Nintendo is famous for have very good ideas/products then making really bad decisions. They were working with Sony on the N64, then they stabled Sony in the back by working with Panasonic instead. Sony then went off to make the PlayStation.

Although Apple does it as well, they seem to like underpowering their Macs in terms of graphics. The G5s should come with a min of Radeon 9600 at their price, not the Geforce FX5200. In the PC world the Radeon 9600 is only $20 more than the Geforce.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually they were working on a CD-ROM for the Super Nintendo + it was to be a 32-bit upgrade (Hence why they don't have a 32-bit system). Nintendo/Sony reached a point where they had a viable piece of equipment, then Nintendo cancelled the project. Sony had invested large ammounts of time, money, and resources into the development and was not going to just let the expense evaporate. The Entire system was slighly modified to become the PSX/PS1. That is also why the Controller ports are similar to the SNES. The Controllers were to be the same, and the CD attachment was to add two more controller ports. Also, Nintendo never worked with Panasonic on the N64 or the SNES-CD, they worked together on the NGC (I hate GCN).

10. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Actually, you both are close...

Sony has a guy working there, named Ken Kutaragi. He is very aggressive and smart. The wonderful sound chip in the Super Famicom, he designed it.

Sony approached Nintendo, after seeing the huge potential of the Multibillion dollar industry Nintendo basically owned (in japan), and said, mostly on the advice of Kutaragi, "We need to get into this." Sony with Kutaragi worked with Nintendo on the Super-CD project which would augment the Super Famicom with CD capabilities, and it was called PlayStation.

The project was very close to finished, when contractual disputes occurred. The dispute was centered around the fact that Sony, as a co-developer of the PlayStation had the right to sell their own version of the Hybrid Super Famicom/PlayStation CD unit..the problem was, games made for Sony's PlayStation would not run on the Add-on CD drive or standard Cartridges for Nintendo's system. This meant Sony would be able to ride on Nintendo's "wave," and catch them off-guard.

Sony's system, as it would be all-in-one would have most likely sold more than the add-on for Nintendo's Super Famicom, and therefore give sony a leg up on Nintendo. Basically, a stab in the back. In many ways it was Nintendo's, specifically Yamauti's (NCL's Prez), fault for partnering with sony...though it may have stalled sony in the short run, canceling the project, only delayed the inevitable, and sony sure as hell was pissed....

Now, if it wasn't for Kutaragi, Sony probably would be in big trouble today, because PlayStation counts for more than half of Sony's profits...at the expense of Nintendo of course. You know this guy, 10 years ago, before PS1 was finished, already targeted Microsoft as a certain competitor !! He's very cunning and smart.

Anyways, FYI Sony also picked AOL as their main distributor for PSOnline (at least in USA)...

11. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I have been a loyal Nintendo gamer myself, but I don't like this at all. In fact, I am FINALLY getting rid of AOL. Bad move IMO.