Nintendo Come ON!

Discussion in 'Games' started by smitty330, Nov 14, 2006.

1. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

So I just read that Nintendo might be coming out with a new Wii next christmas that HAS DVD PLAYBACK http://wii.ign.com/articles/745/745515p1.html

I am kinda disappointed, but there is still a chance of an upgrade to dvd playback, but who knows. OH well at least the Wii is gunna be Great!

-Matthew

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/14/dvd-enhanced-wii-also-hits-us-latter-half-of-2007/

I hate to bicker here, but this is ridiculous.
    I'm sick of Nintendo nickel-and-diming their fanbase, and it looks like those methods aren't going to change anytime soon. Like I commented on Joystiq...just wait til 2 months after this one comes out, they announce another one with 5.1 DTS in a smaller package with five new colors.

I don't care what anybody says; they're already overcharging for the Wii. Controller notwitstanding, the technology in the console itself is a modest Gamecube with a retail price of $99. Forget the "2-3x more powerful" argument for a minute; numbers like that can be achieved with overclocking the Gamecube hardware. So, they're (IMO) overcharging already, and now they're saying the DVD enabled Wii (which doesn't require anything other than a software kit since the optical player in the Wii is in fact a DVD player) will cost more?

Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They achieved 2-3x performance by overclocking 2001 hardware? BLOODY HELL! Quick, someone call Sony and tell them to overclock their PS3's already!

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't consider the Wii to be overpriced.

Let's look at the hardware here. At this point, the miniaturization from GameCube to Wii is like using mobile processors compared to desktop. The Wii's processor and GPU cost more because they're faster yet take LESS power, are smaller, and cooler.

Next, add WiFi, add Bluetooth, add 802.11g, package a game, add an advanced sensor bar, a Wii remote with a gyroscope and accelerometer and IR sensor, a nunchuck with gyroscope and accelerometer, add 512 MB of flash memory, add a full size slot-loading DVD drive with a second tray to accomodate GameCube disks.

The Japanese price of $220 seems about accurate. We're getting a little bit of a markup over here.

5. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Fair enough, but even if it's not something as simple as overclocking, the technology is still the cheapest to manufacture and they're still charging a lot more than they probably should. Sure, that's opinion and not fact, but it's not a blind opinion. ;)

No matter what, it's still messed up that they're going to leave the option out, then rerelease the system with it included, but at a higher price. :rolleyes:

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Funny, I doubt you'd complain about a new Mac coming out that was "2-3x more powerful". If you are going to make statements like this as well as "numbers like that can be achieved with overclocking the Gamecube hardware." then you better back that up with some proof, otherwise you're just making yourself look bad spouting of speculation as fact.

Honestly, are all these people that are upset about lack of DVD playback forgetting that no past Nintendo system ever supported this?

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

well most people already have dvd players and wont want to pay the extra the wii would cost to licence it to play dvd movies, now when nintendo lower production costs on the wii, theyll be able to add dvd playback, with really effecting the low price, makes sence to me

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Exactly, consider that it would cost them $1/console for DVD playback... that would cost them $4 million dollars at launch. Even at $0.25 that is still losing $1 million in profit... all to accomodate a minority of people that will actually use it as a dedicated player.

I don't even use my 360 to play DVDs on a regular basis...

9. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

You could argue the point that if the wii is being marketed as a cheap system (which it is) than its target market (or at least say a quarter of it) would be students and the like, in college or whatever. Of course people like that (I include myself in that category) who prize budget over all else would use the wii as a dvd player.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

And we're getting a lot of markup ($320ish) :mad:

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's a very good point. Running through all the poor students I know in my head, all have had DVD players already. You know you can pick up a dual layer DVD burner for £16 now? I dare to think how cheap the single layer, or even just DVD-ROM drives go for. We bought a DVD player for the kitchen 3 years ago for just £30, how much are they now? They've all got freeview boxes too :rolleyes:

Just like the 360's ideology, get the system less by removing things not everyone will use.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As I already said in the other thread about the same thing :rolleyes:

Then someone posted why dont they just make DVD playback firmware available for download for a small $....

I replied

13. Malus macrumors 6502

Its just like mac coming out with an updated macbook or imac every 3 months...personally I don't care anymore. I just want to play the wii games already! 5 more days...

14. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I disagree; MRU hit it right on the head.
    Releasing updated computer hardware with a faster processor, larger hard drive, more ram, bigger screen, etc. that's different. You're comparing apples to oranges. (no pun intended)

Releasing a console with a dvd player and no dvd playback, and then releasing that same console with dvd playback is nickel and diming people. Same as releasing a portable and then six months later making it smaller, with a rechargeable battery and a backlit screen that should've been there to begin with. Again - nickel and diming. And just like MRU said, whether you personally buy it or not - Nintendo knows most people will because "ooh its cuter and smaller and I've gotta have one in (pick a color)" is the way most other people think.

I'm not anti Nintendo or pro Nintendo, I'm just calling it like I see it. :rolleyes:

15. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

i will be picking up a Wii but probably not until after the holidays. I would be very surprised if the Wii did offer any DVD playback due to their stand that they are just a gaming console. To compete against the already established 360 would take alot of guts and money. I can't see them doing this.

16. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Look, you people don't even seem to be understanding what Nintendo is really doing here.

I don't think they are trying to nickel-dime anyone, they are testing the market.

I'm sure they've seen all the talk and people complaining about it, so now they are really going to try it, see if peple really DO care about it, see if it's something they should go with in the future.

They did the same thing with Component output on the GameCube, after having it in there for this first gen of the system, they took it out to save money after oing research and finding out a very small percentage of users were using it (like 1%).

17. smitty330 thread starter macrumors member

smitty330

I agree with you and most of the other posts, most of the people I know already have DVD-players so although it would be convenient it is keeping the price down. I also have a question... can the PS3 even play DVD's or only that blu-ray crap.

-Matthew

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Like the DS to DS lite, in a way. I also recall Nintendo as saying that they aren't installing a backlight into the GBA because of terrible battery performance with it. So. 2 years down the line, batteries get better etc and they release a backlight GBA (the SP).

I like though how they don't charge more. When the first GBA's came out they were £120 (or round about), then the SP comes out. £100. Then the micro. £90. DS? £130 at launch, DS Lite? £100.
    It does remind me of when people bought the iMac Core Duo, then were shocked an appalled when the C2D came out. As if they have to buy every mac?

More features. Same price.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LMAO... Yep because GBA was just to 'test' the market, nintendo DS was just to 'test' the market, and now Wii is just to 'test' the market...

Nintendo really care for you. They are not a corporation who's sole driving force is profit, they are lovely bunch of little elflings who sit on toadstools and magically harness the power of fairy dust and magic buttons to bring us all love and inner happiness......;) :p

If there's any space left on Nintendo cloud 9 can I join :)

Seriously dude, they announce DVD support and then take it away, and then before the console has even been released they announce they are going to release an updated version in 2007.... Call a spade a spade. It's Nintedo doing it's usual 12 months later, better model ritual. Theres' nothing wrong with them doing that, no-one is saying there is. But see it as it is, stop decieving yourself that Nintedo 'Corp' care about you.

20. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Stupid stupid stupid.

That's probably put me off buying a Wii till the 2nd generation now...

I wasn't sure if there was going to be one, but if you compare the original DS to the DS Lite the differences are astounding... Hopefully Wii2 will be similarly excellent!

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Do you honestly believe Nintendo DELIBERATELY released a weaker GBA?

The GBA was all it was supposed to be. Later on Nintendo decided to adopt the clamshell design and add a backlight, a feature no GameBoy had that people were requesting, so they re-released the GBA SP.

It wasn't planned from the start.

Neither was the GB Micro; it was actually weaker than the SP, lacking features (compatability with GBC games) and being smaller.

The DS Lite might have been, I dunno. But regardless...

In this case, I'll vote with my wallet and not buy the DVD-Wii.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Interesting... what else is the Wii missing that could realistically be updated in version 2? Cooler chips? no need. Smaller system? nope.
    Nintendo have never done the updated version 2 console thing before, sure for the handhelds (Gameboy Pocket & Colour. SP and Micro. DS Lite). They took out unused parts of the Cube. I think (could be Sega) they re-released the SNES in America? Chances are the Wii update will be less of a fanfare and trumpet affair than the DS Lite, enhanced backlit SP perhaps?

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Then again, there was never a GameCube 2. And GameCube vs Panasonic Q...other than DVD playback and a shiny look, no big difference.

24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I think its a bad idea by Nintendo. Looks to me as if the Wii is marketing itself as a purely fun gaming system. Why on earth does it need DVD playback? Nearly everyone has a DVD player now

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I agree the GBA wasnt deliberate, but I think after they saw the success GBA-SP had, and the fact a very high percentage of GBA-SP buyers were people who already had a GBA I think the 'idea' seed was planted.

I dont think they purposely cripple the machine, but I do think they know when they are onto a good marketing stratergy.

And I never said there was anything wrong with that. They are a business after all...