Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nintendo on Tuesday announced it is delaying the release of the currently untitled mobile version of Animal Crossing, which was previously slated for release before the end of March (via The Verge).

share_icon-800x420.jpg

Nintendo said the much-anticipated mobile game won't appear until the following financial year, which runs from April 2017 to March 2018. Nintendo had originally planned to launch mobile games featuring characters from both the Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem franchises last fall, but delayed them to focus attention on its first official iOS title, the more easily recognizable Super Mario Run. Fire Emblem remains set for release on iOS this Thursday.

News of the delay came during Nintendo's third-quarter earnings call, in which it reported a net profit of 64.7 billion yen ($569 million) and 174.3 billion yen ($1.5 billion) in revenue. Game sales were predominantly driven by Nintendo 3DS titles Pokémon Sun and Moon, which combined sold nearly 15 million copies, followed by Super Mario Maker, also for Nintendo 3DS, selling over two million copies.

During the earnings call, Nintendo also revealed official download and revenue numbers for Super Mario Run, announcing that the game has been downloaded 78 million times globally, earning more than $53 million in revenue so far.

Article Link: Nintendo Delays iOS Version of 'Animal Crossing' Until Next Financial Year

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
15 + 2 million copies make 1.5 billion of revenues? This would mean a sales price of USD 88 per copy. These tiles could only account for half of these revenues at the most
[doublepost=1485853559][/doublepost]
Nintendo are doomed.

Nintendo should just scrap all their hardware and release iOS games.

I want Nintendo games for free and I deserve them.

Apple are doomed.

Think I've got the comments section covered :)

You are doomed :)

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I'm calling it: they're re-working the mechanics of the game to incorporate micro transactions. Because they consider the approach to Mario Run's buy-once strategy a failure.

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Don't mind it much, will be plenty entertained with the Switch meanwhile.

At the same time, AC on the iPhone has the potential to be amazing. I hope it's not too nerfed.

Reactions: earthTOmitchel

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
I'm calling it: they're re-working the mechanics of the game to incorporate micro transactions. Because they consider the approach to Mario Run's buy-once strategy a failure.
Anything Nintendo does on the App Store will be seen as them doing the wrong thing. Mario Run was seen as greedy and deceptive because of its paywall. :rolleyes:
Fire Emblem will be Freemium with IAP. People will complain about why it's so shallow compared to a 3DS version. They'll demand a deep and engrossing version with no IAP and it be free. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I want Nintendo games for free and I deserve them.
Pretty much.
Mobile game industry has bred players to think all games should be free with time/pay walls and ridiculous IAPs. Or in Nintendo's case, players want all their games for free just because.
Casual players would rather waste hundreds of $$ on IAP than spend $10 to unlock a full game.

Reactions: bchreng

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I think Animal Crossing has the best potential for a an iOS game. It's always been that relaxing time waster that changes every day, and I've sunk countless hours into the DS version when I was a kid.

They can even have their (non intrusive) IAPs easily here. Micro transactions for "Bell packs" or premium furniture/clothing. As long as there's no paywall or restrictions on progressing, I can see a lot of AC fans buying into this.

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Sounds plausible.

Still, kudos to Nintendo for sticking their neck out with SMR and trying something specific on the monetization, with the single-IAP instead of upfront payment or freemium. But public reaction wasn't positive (many less-devoted followers who weren't expecting the block after 3 levels were upset), and the revenue stream from Super Mario Run is probably peanuts compared to Pokemon Go with its in-app purchases.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out one day that the original goal of the Kingdom Building mode in SMR was have a "hub world" like in many other mario games, but one that you could build through coins or microtransactions, with different buildings leading to the different levels. In some parallel universe, people got that version of the game, and are complaining that Nintendo should have tried a single IAP instead ;)

Reactions: Sheza

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I always thought Nintendo was a bit bold with the 5 iOS games in one year target.

Yes, but they have the bench of developers to do it with some semblance of quality. Also, if they execute it correctly even with a two year target, they could become the de facto house to look to for quality controlled gaming titles and less Candy Crush variations. I wish Square Enix would work a little harder instead of just porting old games all the time or putting out weak titles like Thearhythm and Deadman's Cross that fall so short of the depth they are known for.

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
England
Yes, but they have the bench of developers to do it with some semblance of quality. Also, if they execute it correctly even with a two year target, they could become the de facto house to look to for quality controlled gaming titles and less Candy Crush variations. I wish Square Enix would work a little harder instead of just porting old games all the time or putting out weak titles like Thearhythm and Deadman's Cross that fall so short of the depth they are known for.

I agree with you.

They've just revised their target to 2/3 games a year, so yup, we should see some quality titles instead opposed to rushed ones.

PinkamenaPie

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2017
I don't want a "freemium" Animal Crossing title. I think a "pay once" title would be best. I want the Animal Crossing I'm used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.