Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
I love Nintendo but they are seriously out of touch with their base.

How long do they think they can continue to resell the same old games on new hardware? Might as well as release classics on the mobile space.

theydonotmove

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
New York, NY
For the record, just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's the key to success.

Yeah, everyone has a smartphone. But the fact that smartphones play games doesn't mean Nintendo has to jump ship and abandon hardware.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
For the record, just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's the key to success.

Yeah, everyone has a smartphone. But the fact that smartphones play games doesn't mean Nintendo has to jump ship and abandon hardware.

No, but it does mean their gaming experience has to be so far and away better to justify to the mainstream consumer adding another device to their person. Like it or not, the mainstream casual gamer fuels/subsidizes the ability of hardcore dedicated gamers to have their toys. Without that fat middle the incentive for the device makers drops considerably.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The Wii U is a flop. Nintendo cut forecasts by nearly 70%. A confident company doesn't do that. They are forecasting less profits. They put a price cut and still cut forecasts massively. Mario will help, but you can't rely on that alone for ever. They need to expand into mobile gaming, but they are afraid to cannibalize the 3DS. The gaming industry is changing and Nintendo is ignoring it.

Wii U is a flop? They've still sold more than the Xbox One and the PS4.

I agree that Nintendo is ignoring the gaming industry. They think that their name 'Nintendo' along with the Mario franchise, and their ideas of using the motion controllers will win. They were right to ignore the industry with the Wii. They won the console wars in the last round. The problem with this round is that most people do not think the Wii U is any different from the Wii. Is Nintendo doing ANY advertising to let people know the difference?

I've got both. A Wii U for my 5-year old daughter, and she just loves it. I love playing the Mario games with her, it's the most fun with I've had with video games in a long time.

I haven't decided which one of the 'adult' consoles to get yet - the PS4 or the Xbox One, I'll undoubtedly get one of those too, to compliment our Wii U, but we'll continue to buy games for both consoles. My daughter's idea of a good game is different from mine, but I understand the market for both.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
They wouldn't have to put Mario or Zelda on iPhone. All they'd have to do is let their past creative genius make game apps that work for the device.

Or how about put those games up for $5 and download them to your handheld?

Nintendo has crossed from "efficiently frugal" to "cheap ass". They don't want to PAY FOR any new technologies or online services. They are like GM in the 1980's while Toyota invented a new CLASS of cars and trucks right out from under them with their nose in the air and head in the sand. (Really, at the same time!) they have incredible NIH (not invented here syndrome) that's bordering on legendary... They treat developers and publishers strictly as cattle for pulling fees out of... They've spent FIVE YEARS trying as hard as they can to burn all the goodwill from the Wii days.

Look at Pokemon. They make customers wait 2+ years between games and only get $30 or $60. Compare how they handle Pokemon to how Blizzard handles Star/War/WitchCraft... Or even Angry Birds has a better model lately.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
The 3ds has sold extremely well. They would be stupid to release games on iOS or android.

Nintendos problem I'd the wii u.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Good. I hope this doesn't happen. The quality of games on 3DS absolutely destroy anything on iOS. Mobile "gaming," if you want to call it that, is laughable. iOS games are for passing time. There is a reason that the industry doesn't really care about mobile gaming. Has anyone ever got hyped at E3 for an iOS game? I don't think I've seen it.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
It's so odd reading some of these comments, especially on an Apple forum.

"Those who are serious about software should make their own hardware." Or something like that. Isn't that the famous quote?

It applies to Nintendo as well, IMO. I can't imagine playing a great Zelda game on a touch screen. Maybe an adequate game, but nothing as compelling as Zelda or Mario.

Every iOS game that tries to be "deep" or have more than rudimentary game mechanics ends up with a really bad interface. Of the iOS games I've played, nothing has compared to the experience I've had with a console. It just pales in comparison.

There needs to be some leap forward in gaming-touch-interface design, IMO.

Maybe Nintendo can open the gates for a new interface like they did with the analog controller and Mario 64 for touch screens? I certainly hope they're experimenting at the very least.

For now, until that next step is ready, I hope they're perfecting HD gaming for their major franchises. My anticipation for an HD Zelda on Wii U is huge. Wind Waker HD was so great, and that's a 10 year old game.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
this would be a good move for Nintendo, demos for the mobile sphere, and save your real games for your devices.

If Nintendo steps into the mobile gaming market they will waste a lot of energy trying to compete in a whole new area of gaming. they will be developing new software or porting old software to two new platforms (android and iOS), that are fragmented over different types of hardware, and competing with developers who have been there for many years already.

Go play Super Mario 3D world and then tell me you can replicate that on a phone. I'm sorry but you can't.

Nintendo's place is in the living room or a mobile device of their design, not your smartphone.

The next Smash Bros,. and Zelda, and Mario Kart, and other 1st party titles will be a shot in the arm for Wii U sales, the console will likely go the route of the Gamecube, which was not a success but was still profitable by the end of it's run.

Nintendo's next move should be as the recent rumors have pointed to; a console/handheld fusion device with backwards compatibility to Wii and Wii U, support from Nintendo's online market, and specs at least somewhere in the ballpark of the current offerings from Microsoft and Sony.

A seamless mobile and living room gaming experience.

Did mac clones help Apple? No.

Then why would Nintendo commit suicide just so you can play Mario on your iPhone?

Aside from top notch game making and an earned reputation for making some of the best games in the business, the most valuable thing Nintendo has is its catalog of retro games and its intellectual properties.

Putting those games and/or properties on other devices is like throwing money away for Nintendo.

When you buy a game on Nintendo's virtual console they earn 100 percent of the profit, if they were bleeding them off onto other devices they would be earning less than if they sold it themselves.

I agree with most of your comments. I would like to call out a nuance or two.

I think that like apple there are multiple components here -- software, hardware, and ecosystem. I agree that on the software and ecosystem, Nintendo is executing very well and has some valuable assets. The concern I have, and I think a lot of other folks, is on the hardware portion. That concern is an entire industry concern. Even if they were able to get back to a better console experience (like the XBox), the question is whether there is room for a dedicated console in the future. Sure as a niche there will be for a long time, but I am asking about the masses.

Nintendo is not doing well with their hardware, and I question whether dedicated hardware is even the way to go. So, for Nintendo, they can bet on staying with the dedicated hardware, and focus on executing better -- maybe taking your playbook. Or they can get out of the hardware business all together and focus on maximizing profits on the software and ecosystem. Angry Bird is an example of how a software house can execute quite well. And Nintendo can do that many times over with their assets.

If I believed that the console is not dead, then I would be with you on keeping everything within their walled garden. However, I believe that for 70 to 80 percent of gaming, consoles are no longer the way to and the real asset is the software. So in my playbook, I would transition away from hardware all together and redevelop the powerhouse games to work on iOS, Androids, Windows, OS X, whatever. I believe they can be extremely profitable without the burden of hardware manufacturing and the capital required to maintain that supply chain.

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
I love Nintendo but they are seriously out of touch with their base.

How long do they think they can continue to resell the same old games on new hardware? Might as well as release classics on the mobile space.

This is a big factor in their failure and impending doom. They've not truly innovated in over a decade...

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Yeah, I really don't get how a company producing both hardware and software is BRILLIANT AND INNOVATIVE when Apple does it, but BACKWARDS when Nintendo does it. Or a company preferring a walled garden approach and conservative hardware offerings. Or relying on the loyalty of users who have been customers for three decades or more. Or not thinking that being the marketshare leader is everything.

Nintendo and Apple have a ridiculous amount in common. Saying that Nintendo is doomed but Apple is golden isn't exactly solid reasoning.

Thank you for understanding my comment that he/she was responding to.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This is the end of Nintendo for failing to adapt. Let's see, how many "legendary" companies that once ruled their industry went under or currently struggling to be relevant? Kodak and Blackberry come to mind.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Just think of how many golden eggs we could get if we killed the goose!

But is the goose the delightful games, or the little box that runs them? I submit games creators will be just as amazing on other platforms without the mothership in Kyoto being the gatekeeper.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
Can you explain to me how its a smart move for Nintendo to spend R&D money porting games designed for controllers onto touchscreen devices, just to lose up to 30 percent profit or more on?

Nintendo makes the most profit when you buy their current generation or previous generation games on their devices.

Touch controls are horrible for certain games, the precision offered by a controller cannot be surpassed by a touchscreen.

The damage to Nintendo's brand would be catastrophic if they abandoned hardware.

Umm the new controllers for ios devices seem like a great fit for this without making them touchscreen. I agree touch controls are usually bobo.
I'm just saying its possible, and woukd take off like wildfire if they did. Who doesn't want to play Nintendo games on their ios devices? Spend some r&d on porting the older titles that are just sitting on the shelf over, and continue to put out new software and hardware like they always have.. Seems like a win/win to me, especially if they are taking losses for the past 3 years.

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
The 3ds is incredibly successful. The games hold their value well. Just look at the price of the main games on the system. They sell at €35 - €50rrp even after being out for a year. Why would they butcher their successful platform to release games on a platform where there have no control over hardware or price.

The argument for nintendo iOS games has always seemed stupid to me. They control the dedicated handheld gaming market. Releasing their flagship games on iOS is a race to the bottom. They might make some money but the quality will drop due to poor touchscreen controls. How can they polish gameplay to their usual standards if they do not have full hardware-software integration? They would have to compensate for devices of varying power. Nintendo have always wanted a direct line to the customer through their own systems and I don't think they will change that when it comes to their first party titles.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
this would be a good move for Nintendo, demos for the mobile sphere, and save your real games for your devices.

If Nintendo steps into the mobile gaming market they will waste a lot of energy trying to compete in a whole new area of gaming. they will be developing new software or porting old software to two new platforms (android and iOS), that are fragmented over different types of hardware, and competing with developers who have been there for many years already.

Go play Super Mario 3D world and then tell me you can replicate that on a phone. I'm sorry but you can't.

Nintendo's place is in the living room or a mobile device of their design, not your smartphone.

The next Smash Bros,. and Zelda, and Mario Kart, and other 1st party titles will be a shot in the arm for Wii U sales, the console will likely go the route of the Gamecube, which was not a success but was still profitable by the end of it's run.

Nintendo's next move should be as the recent rumors have pointed to; a console/handheld fusion device with backwards compatibility to Wii and Wii U, support from Nintendo's online market, and specs at least somewhere in the ballpark of the current offerings from Microsoft and Sony.

A seamless mobile and living room gaming experience.

Did mac clones help Apple? No.

Then why would Nintendo commit suicide just so you can play Mario on your iPhone?

Aside from top notch game making and an earned reputation for making some of the best games in the business, the most valuable thing Nintendo has is its catalog of retro games and its intellectual properties.

Putting those games and/or properties on other devices is like throwing money away for Nintendo.

When you buy a game on Nintendo's virtual console they earn 100 percent of the profit, if they were bleeding them off onto other devices they would be earning less than if they sold it themselves.

You would think people on an APPLE forum would seem to understand this fact the most, as it is most similar to Apple's approach and values.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Yeah, I really don't get how a company producing both hardware and software is BRILLIANT AND INNOVATIVE when Apple does it, but BACKWARDS when Nintendo does it. Or a company preferring a walled garden approach and conservative hardware offerings. Or relying on the loyalty of users who have been customers for three decades or more. Or not thinking that being the marketshare leader is everything.

Nintendo and Apple have a ridiculous amount in common. Saying that Nintendo is doomed but Apple is golden isn't exactly solid reasoning.

Apple reinvented itself every 5 years... NOW Apple is an iPhone/iPad company. Five years ago they bet the whole company on reworking their Mac lineup. Five years before that they were an iPod company... Before that they almost DIED.

Nintendo's newest handled is the 2DS because its been almost 5 years of 3DS and that tech didn't take.. So they sit in the corner and sick their thumbs. Wii I is an excellent piece of hardware.. That does absolutely nothing regular Wii couldn't do... Until they DISABLED THE ONLINE FEATURES. Wii U is a wireless, online system that doesn't do something as simple as interact with CORE titles like Pokemon. It's cheap enough to afford TWO for what the other guys charge, but can't actually play games between systems.

After all this reading, Nintendo needs a tablet. But a GAMING tablet, not an Android clone. It would be trivial to port 3DS games over like the 2DS, they could even use a "book" factor to keep split screens. They need to EMBRACE the culture of extending and modifying games people already play. Slap and extra GB of RAM on those carts and allow the developers to extend existing games with downloads. They don't have to creat an "App Store" but they have to embrace the games as ALIVE THINGS... Not toys.. Because toys go on a SHELF!

They could also dominate the "kid computing" market. A screen big enough to web browse. Maybe an inkjet printer for the Wii U. Create a method to port some of the leading iOS and android apps over for educational games and simple tools like photo editing, note taking, reminders, maybe email/calendar/weather thru Yahoo or local service... Make it a "TotPad" with reasonable flexibility to play with adult devices.

mostlydave

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
There is so much Nintendo could do to make money without even thinking about smartphones.

Where are the Super Nintendo and Gameboy Advance games on the eshop? just adding these from there huge back catalog and possibly first party DS games which the 3DS already plays adds a huge amount of material to the store.

The 3DS has been out for years and these should have been available from the start.

As for mobile, release the GBA versions of Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green on ios and android, and make them trade compatible with the new X & Y games for 3ds, you'll get tons of extra sales of games and promote the new games on the 3DS.

Nintendo has huge cash reserves, is over 100 years and all though they're not raking in tons of cash I don't think there in any real danger right now. What they should have done is offered all of the classic games they possibly could on the eshop from the start, priced downloadable games reasonably and cranked out more games like a link between worlds based on classics.

Gwonam

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
In the mean time I jailbreak my phone to play some Ocarina of Time... best game ever. You lose Nintendo.

:D

On a touch screen? Tell me how that goes. Yes, I played that game on a GameCube like it's meant to be played.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.