Nintendo DS and new Airport extreme - compatible?

Discussion in 'Games' started by weg, Jan 28, 2007.

1. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Hi,
    does anybody already have some experience with the new Airport extreme and the Nintendo DS? I'll need a new WLAN router, soon, and I'd like to get one that is compatible with my Nintendo DS lite, AND I do very much like the network disk feature of the new Airport extreme router.

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

3. weg thread starter macrumors 6502a

weg

Well, if I find out that it's incompatibel FOR NO REASON, it would suck just as much as if there was a reason :D

4. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

The only thing about the DS that creates a problems is that it only supports WEP. i prefer to run WPA, so i don't use the wifi ability in the DS.

5. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

6. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

there is some WEP security issues which I have not figure out... is not working with the new Extreme base station with DS

7. BRUUUCE macrumors member

doesn't work wit airport express.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The PSP didn't work with some version of the firmware for Airport Extreme. That was a while back. So even though there isn't a reason it shouldn't... it doesn't mean it will work. :)

9. uselessnobody macrumors newbie

I have the new Apple Airport Extreme (802.11n compatible). I have it set up to distribute 802.11b/g/n. Has anyone successfully connected their Nintendo DS Lite to the new Airport Extreme? If so, could you tell me the steps you took to set up your Airport & DS. I tried manual setup on my DS and it still won't connect.

Thanks

(On a side note, I can connect to the Airport Extreme with my Wii. But when I put the same settings into my DS (I used a different IP address, of course) I can't seem to connect)

10. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

the NDS support an older WEP encryption which is not compatible with new AE(n).... unless you disable the security, otherwise it will not connect.

11. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Why not just run without WEP/WPA and just limit connections to specific MAC addresses? This has always worked fine for me with other routers.

I recently ordered the new Airport Extreme and will post here if I have any success! :)