Nintendo DS Browser and WPA Security

Discussion in 'Games' started by HiRez, Jul 2, 2006.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I've read that the DS browser addon is not going to support WPA encryption. This seems like a very very major flaw that is going to hamper widespread use. For your home, yes, you could drop down your wireless encryption to WEP if you really wanted to, just to use the DS. But most hotspots (and most any network you run across, be it at someone's home or business) nowadays are going to be using WPA, not WEP. If I understand it correctly, that's it: you can't use the DS with it, and that stinks, to put it mildly. Actually I think it's the DS itself that can't work with WPA, not the browser, but it'll affect a lot of people who want to use the browser. Is there any way the firmware could be updated to support WPA? This combined with the browser supposedly not supporting Flash (which increasingly a lot of sites require) really tempers my enthusiasm for it. Am I wrong in saying Nintendo has taken a short-sighted, half-assed approach to the whole internet-connectivity experience on the DS?

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

The DS probably only has a 11b chipset. I believe WPA is only available with 11g.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The DS itself doesn't support WPA for some reason- none of the WiFi games for it can use it. I don't think you can blame the browser for that.

Flash missing is the only thing that annoys me. Although I have heard that the PSP handles Flash badly, and the DS is only 1/3rd the power, so I can see why.

Either way; Nintendo aren't even developing the browser. Opera is.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't have any encryption up here, just a hidden SSID. chances are I won't be using the WiFi outside of uni, which again has no encryption. fine and dandy for me. not saying it will be for everyone mind.

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I guess we'll have to wait for the "DS Lite Plus" or whatever upgrade name they call it. This is an annoying oversight. I had planned to use the browser function when I go out of town instead of taking my PB to browse and check e-mail. :mad:

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

...why can't you? I've yet to use WPA, even on my laptop. Most hotspots are either free or paid, not encrypted. The free ones are open, the paid ones require you to authenticate using a web browser before the router servers your computer. The only time I can see you needing WPA is if you use a company WiFi network, or a friend's network who uses it- resteraunts and hotels generally won't have WPA.

7. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I haven't tested outside of my apartment yet but I will start taking my DS Lite with me and see if I can get on with the networks at various schools, hotels, and restaurants. If MPH or MKDS will work I assume the browser will work.

I had to lower my security down to WEP 40-bit to use my DS Lite on my home network but I really don't care because I doubt anyone will try to break it if there is any security at all.

The Browser + Play-Yan Micro + fabled Organizer Plus + equally fabled Voip software + a TV tuner that actually works with US analog channels makes the DS Lite the ultimate convergence device in my mind...I never thought I would see a device that would be capable of so much in one package.

I think some of these functions will eventually come to the iPod and cell phones but probably at a greater cost and less functionality. The iPod will probably eventually have a web browser for downloading songs on the go and cell phones already have internet and audio/video/pda/tv functionality but are too expensive and actually a much worse interface than the DS Lite. I have read some complaints about having to put a cart in to browse but really is it that hard to change carts? If any of this software doesn't make it to the US I plan on importing the ones that work here and come in multi-regional format...

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, my cousins pub has a paid (Cloud) wifi service. no WPA. pub nextdoor? free and open to anyone (even me if I'm in the garden :D ). ok thats it for the hills. Macdonalds don't use WPA as they're advertising the ability to play DS in their crap-factories.

9. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I don't think the DS has any hardware supported networking capabilities. What I mean by that is that the CPU is doing all the packet decrypting/encrypting, etc. I say this because i've noticed a lot of slowdown in games occasionally when I play multiplayer that simply doesn't exist when I play single player.

Since WPA encryption is far more complex compared to WEP, thats most likely the reason the DS does not support it - not enough CPU power.

As for only 802.11g devices having WPA support, I don't believe thats true because my original Airport card (11b) supports WPA just fine. Its WPA2 that requires a G hardware I believe.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Oh no, that's lag, caused by internet connections. On a PC, Playing online with a lot of people, or vs people with slower connections, does that a lot too.

11. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Ideally Nintendo would do a firmware update that would:

A. Add WPA support

B. Get rid of the health warning screen. Can't believe it's somehow okay to have that on there EVERY time you boot up the system and have it require user input.

12. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Never thought about it but its true the health warning screen is silly and should only be up on the intial boot....

SHadOW

13. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

No, its slowdown, not lag. Reason I say this is because:

1.) I'm playing local multiplayer, not over WFC
    2.) The game (specifically Mario Kart balloon battle multiplay) slows down, as in slow-mo.
    3.) I know the difference between lag and game slowdown/choppy framerates.

Its quite possible that its CPU AI thats slowing the game down that much. But then it should technically do it in singleplayer mode too. But it doesn't - only in multiplayer.

Still however, I have not noticed any slowdowns when playing Mario Kart DS over WFC, so... who knows?

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've already hacked my firmware to kill the health and saftey warning screen (I don't have one on my DS, w00t) and let me tell you, Nintendo won't have an easy time delivering an update.

A considerable chunk of the DS's firmware, the deepest stuff, is physically write protected. I had to physically disassemble my DS and hold a bent paperclip in the right position to short both the SL1's to completely overwrite the firmware.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hmmm, okay, you're right, hardware slowdown then.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I find it really nice that they would put that in front of all of there games....shows that they care(HA, they just don't want to get sued)...I don't mind it....doesnt take more than a touch of the screen to get rid of it.

Bless

17. buffalo macrumors 65816

a little off topic...

How much will the internet browser be, and when will it be out (in the US)?

18. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

It is $33 in Japan. I don't think any release date has been....released.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmmm, I too want to see WPA on the DS...

But WPA at hotspots? In the US? I don't think so? I don't think I have ever seen that....

20. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I think it will either be $34.99 or $29.99 in the states and they are supposed to say more about future release dates on July 24th. The higher cost is mainly because the package includes a memory upgrade for saving favorites and faster browsing.

21. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Cool. I want it. I'm glad there is a DS version and a DS lite version though.

Do you live in Florida? haha. just guessing from your location thingy.

22. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Yes I live in Florida! I'm glad they are coming out with a DS Lite one too. Hopefully, they don't pull a Play-Yan and just leave us hanging. The only reason I haven't imported a Play-Yan Micro for .mp3 and mpeg 4 is the hope that they will release a DS Lite version in white that doesn't stick out so far...

23. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Yeah, I wouldn't get either one (Play-Yan micro/ds ... if the ds one every comes out). Most of my movies/tv shows/music videos come from iTunes, so I wouldn't be able to put it on there anyway.

Browsing on the internet on the DS lite is going to be so much easier than it is on the PSP!

24. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I would just get an iPod w/ Video but after my 4G iPod died I told myself I wouldn't buy another HDD based player. The Play-Yan used flash memory which is a big advantage.

25. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!