nintendo DS games with long gameplay?

Discussion in 'Games' started by BRUUUCE, Feb 27, 2007.

1. BRUUUCE macrumors member

Sep 7, 2006
    not yet released DS games or even gameboy advance games are also fine

i beat new super mario way too fast.
    beat mario kart and online is hit or miss with the snakers
    i have brain age but that only takes up so much time
    tried final fantasy 3 but not into turn based roleplaying games. (non turn base rpg is fun tho) and didnt like the metroid prime setup

so, any reccomendations would be awesome

2. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    The DS game that kept me busy for the longest time was Advance Wars Dual Strike. I played it for more than 370 hours and I still pick it up from time to time. (I'm still missing 13 medals and some maps I still can't beat)

It might not be your kind of game though as it seems you're not a big fan of turn based games. This one is a Turn-based strategy game. Strategy plays a very important part in this game since your units don't level up and become stronger. Some of the combat room maps are very, VERY hard.

Can you give us a few example of games from other consoles you enjoyed a lot that had long game-play? We might be able to point out similar DS games.
  3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah NSMB took me back to the time where I beat world 4 on super mario land and was shocked to realize that I had beat the whole game. What a downer.

I only play the DS now occasionally, so I've been playing Yoshi's Island for quite some time. Its pretty tough but then again, it certainly isn't long.

Castlevania DS (whatever the first one was) seemed a good length, but then again it still seemed shorter than previous Castlevania games. Who knows.

On the flipside, I'm happy to say that so far Twilight Princess is a hell of a lot longer than Wind Waker.
  4. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

Aug 8, 2004
    America's Wang
    Advance Wars is realllly long. Also, Trauma Center is pretty hard so it will take a long time to beat too..
  5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2004
    In a cup of orange juice.
    Both Castlevanias on the DS consumed me for weeks. Even after I beat them, I went back and played for days more, just to get all of the extras.

I unlocked every bonus in Mario Kart and played the dam thing for months online and locally with friends. Snaking takes skill. I'm a bit confused why some would consider it cheating. :eek: It's part of the game. If it's cheating, or cheese, than the same is true for the Blue Shell, or any other item that can be used on others. I used to get mad at people for trapping me in Street Fighter 2, but then I learned how to throw them back. In the past, if someone was snaking, I could easilly (In my MK playing prime.) out snake most that I encountered. If not, than no amount of snaking can stop a Blue shell. :p

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Advance Wars is really long.

Elite Beat Agents isn't truly 'long' per se...but it's got a lot of replay value, and every time you beat the game you unlock a higher difficulty (easy, normal, hard, super hard), but the difficulty grows to the point of near impossibility (I'm stuck on the last level of hard mode).
  7. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    During the time I owned a DS and then a DS lite, I played more than 20 games, owning more than half of them at some point. The ones that kept me entertained for the longest time were Meteos, Elite Beat Agents (hard to beat every last song on the hardest unlockable difficulty setting), and Castlevania (first one for DS). All other games were fairly easy and only took me 1-2 days to beat. I never played FF3 nor Advance Wars Dual Strike (played AW Gameboy version).
  8. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Final Fantasy 3. It's very very good, huge game.
    Perhaps Pokemon? That's out very shortly and the addition of WiFi is going to up that replayability a fair bit.
    Meteos has a pick up and play factor and is very addictive (maybe more so than Tetris for me).
    Advance Wars is huge. Just epic and never ending. Shame I'm not that good at it, it's supposedly digital crack.
  9. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    Once Hexic makes its way to the DS, I will have to go back to rehab ;)
  10. Gunhaver macrumors member

Nov 12, 2006
    Animal Crossing Wild World has infinity gameplay.
    Both Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin can trap your soul and not let go until you've collected every item/spell/soul.
    A good puzzle game is always good, can't go wrong with Tetris, and I heard Meteos is a fun time.
    They're porting Front Mission to DS, now there's some depth for you.
  11. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    New Super Mario Bros. is indeed short, I almost completed the whole game (with many hidden levels and all 8 worlds) in one sitting over at my cousin's house but still... much like other Super Mario Bros games, it has infinite replay value in the way that its fun to whip out the game and just have some fun going through the levels again.

I still play SMB3 and SMW to this day.
  12. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    And why not? 2 of the best video games ever made right there.

I would have liked Nintendo to work on a proper Mario Bros 2. Not 1 with difficulty, or the game they "transformed". Every Super Mario prior to Sunshine was so perfect barring that little hiccup on the NES :eek: .
  13. BootstrapMetal macrumors member

Jul 28, 2006
    Phoenix Wright Ace Atorney. Awesome text based game. You should definetly try it. It's as long as it takes you to read and/or solve the cases.
  14. weg macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    You could try "Lost Magic", I assume it's pretty long because it's so tough. I'm currently playing it, and I'm far from finishing it. It's pretty cheap, too (around 20 bucks), and it's an awesome role play game.
  15. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2006
  16. paddy macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2005
    Ah yes whats its name, fantastic game and great longevity! :p
  17. BRUUUCE thread starter macrumors member

Sep 7, 2006
    sorry for re upping this but dawn of sorrow is amazing. exactly what i was looking for. thanks.
  18. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    I know you don't like turn based games, I don't either, but Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is different because you are actually controlling the fighting, and is long and in my opinion amazingly fun.
  19. slicedbread macrumors regular

Nov 5, 2006
    action based RPG - Lunar Knights is fun.

The firt run-thru is a bit short, about 10hours or so. However if you wanna level the chars to max, upgrade all the weapons and get all the items it would take a LONG time....
  20. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    As others already pointed out, Advance Wars (DS and GBA versions) have a long gameplay and a great replay value.

Another strategy game with a long gameplay (especially if you challenge yourself to finish without loosing anybody) is Fire Emblem (2 games for GBA).
  21. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    London Town
    Whatever you do, do not buy Sonic Rush. I was quite looking forward to it as some people had heralded it as Sonic's return to form. It is rubbish. The levels lack any character. I know the whole point of Sonic is that he can run fast, but all you do is press dash and right on the D-Pad and wait till you get to the end of the level. Unlike in older Sonic games where you were at least required to think about the level and memorise certain points of it as, Rush is just run, run, run, beat boss, run, run, run :(

Given that I played this game just after I'd finished Mario 64 DS, the gulf in quality was even more apparent.
  22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    If I can add in and ask for advice... so the platformer types are the ones I really like also. These are games that are sort of on my future list. Can anyone offer any insight onto replay value?

Mario vs. DK 2
    Super Princess Peach
    Yoshi's Island DS
    Either of the Kirby games
    Wario: Master of Disguise (although reviews of this seem sort of iffy... I love the WarioLand series :( )
  23. pcypert macrumors 6502

Jul 19, 2006
    I like the Yoshi game. I don't play with sound so the sound critiques some here give are pointless to me. I'm on a crowded train playing most times...who cares about sound. The levels are fun enough...better than playing Wario Touched that's for dang sure.

24. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    If you can wait to the end of this month then Pokemon Diamond/Pearl should keep you busy for a LONG time, I might get a DS for myself for that game only, its incredibly fun and has tons of replay value, tons of stuff to do and Pokemon to collect, breed, battle, level, etc.