Nintendo DS Lite: A Review (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Games' started by BrianSalts, Jun 26, 2006.

1. BrianSalts macrumors regular

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Wish I had the money available... I'd buy one in an instant.

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Nice review, you picked up the exact combo as I did (ds lite and new mario) its awesome fun and I love my DS lite highly reccomended!

SHadoW

4. backupdrummer macrumors regular

backupdrummer

I so want one. I just try and remain patient. My birthday is in October so maybe I will buy one then.

Great review by the way.

5. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I want one, but just a note, the PSP is sleek and has the similar face to a black iPod 5G, and the PSP is only $200, and it was never $300.
    I loved the review, it was great, and made me want to buy a DS even more, but I just hate it when people ruin a nice review of one system (DS or PSP) and compare it to the other, but use slightly umm... lets just say crappy info on the system they are saying is worse.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

7. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I want one but I can't find one to buy.....NICE REVIEW!!!

8. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Very funny. But actually it is $199 if you want to get all smart about it.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is that the same as saying "well theres the PSP core package with nothing but a PSP and power charger for £150" where there is also the £220 package available?

You can also (if you're lucky) get a real PSP off eBay for 99p.
    I think we're talking about the package that actually means something. just how the 360 core package is negligible, along with the PS3s.

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Right, you can get the "Core" for $199 now.

And I was off, it retailed for $249 USD, so yeah... it wasn't $300 in the US, but it was more then $200.

11. Malcster macrumors 6502

Great Review, I love my DS Lite, however my PSP is seeing all the action at the moment, Loco Roco has taken over my life! The best game ive played in a very long time.

Its so good it could be nintendo, its insanely catchy tunes have embedded themselves in my head..

12. BrianSalts thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I live in canada, so I meant 300 cad. :D Don't get me wrong, I loved the psp... until now.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So fickle is the gaming world :rolleyes: not having a go, I'm the same! somehow wanted a PSP, got it, got bored after 2-3 days (the DS Lite launch didn't help either), sold it for a marginal profit on eBay.

14. rockandrule macrumors 6502

I believe that they are in very low quantity everywhere. The only place I could find one was at WalMart (I got the last one) and that's in a town where we have 5 game shops and a Best Buy and Circuit City. Good luck!

15. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Another thing to add to the Cons section...Scratches too easily! Thought I'd wipe some of the finger marks of my black DS lite with my tshirt and now I have a scratch on the front (about the thickness of a hair and about an inch long...).

Kinda wish I'd gone for the white which would hide it better now...! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bugger.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

In this thread i have to see the same thing about the PSP....well everyone else is enjoying there PSP besides....

Good review by the way...don't know about the score though

Bless

17. BrianSalts thread starter macrumors regular

Hey cheeky, I guess it does scratch, but when I look closely under the light for my white one, I don't see any.

Maybe the enamel is different on the two colors because on the black it has to be completely transparent, but on the white, it doesn't have to be?

18. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Sorry to be sorta off topic does the screen scratch easily? Will Ice Cream work on it if it does?

19. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Nice work, a good read.

My only qualm is that the picture quality is a bit lacking. Use the macro button for any close shots, and use a mini tripod to get clear screenshots if your camera's shutter can't handle hand shake.

Cheers

20. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Nice review.

I'm waiting for Mario Bros to be released here, so I have Mario Kart in the mean time. Its only been a couple of days since I bought it but its been great. Glad I got it in 'apple' white :)

I had a PSP for ages, got bored of it. Cumbersome, uncomfortable joystick, not a great selection of games, really nice screen though. I knew I'd get a DS, I've owned every nintendo console, except for the NES, at some point in my life! Nintendo geek through and through.

21. macidiot macrumors 6502a

I have a DS lite. I got it to replace a DS phat. I wasn't planning on getting either, but I was able to buy the first one for $100 new. After I got it, I was hooked. The games are what make the platform. And the DS has great games.

Regarding the lite, it pretty much takes care of every problem I had with the original one, mostly size, weight, and the stylus. However, I have to say I prefer the feel of the buttons on the old DS over the lite.

And I don't know what things are like in other parts of the world, but it seems that the psp is getting punked by the ds here in the US. I know plenty of people that have a psp and

a) never use it because there aren't any games
    b) only use it to watch movies and only because that's all that's available for the psp
    c) never use the psp or got rid of the psp because the movies are expensive and there are no games and what games there are cost twice as much as ds games.

Don't get me wrong, I like the psp. It has great technology. It also happens to be expensive and has virtually no software.

22. BrianSalts thread starter macrumors regular

The screens don't scratch as easy as say, an ipod, but it smudges if you touch it. I guess you could use icecream on the top screen but the bottom screen is a touch screen so a) it won't scratch that easily and b) its made of a different material.

JDOG, I'm currently using my RAZR v3i (you can check out my review of it here, i do a lot of reviews of gadgets) to take the pictures so the picture quality is indeed lacking. There is no macro mode for the phone's camera so that's all I could use. I'm not using my camera right now because I don't have an sd card reader (it broke)

Sorry :eek:

23. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

same here. i'll probably get one with my Wii. i'll have $$$ by then.

24. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

maybe if you stopped spending $13 on tuna sandwitches! :p

25. SteveRichardson macrumors regular

SteveRichardson

yup, someone put a macbook in the shrink-ray...

and that someone is nintendo. :cool: