Nintendo DS nov. 21 ...

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Oct 1, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Just wanted to know what you all thought of the new nintendo DS. Here is link for more info.

I will probably get one, but i want to see in person first. I want to see how comfortable it is to hold and use pen to play certain games. Seems like nintendo is on the cutting edge once again. go nintendo :)

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm interested but if the current display on GameBoy SP is any indication of what will be coming in the DS, I can't say that I would buy one. I find two small, hard-to-read displays twice as bad as one. The wireless gaming looks better feature, though. After seeing the improved Nokia N-Gage, I have no doubt that the DS will sell well.

4. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

That PSP looks super hot. Nintendo is in the dust with that. Ever since 64 I think nintendo has gone downhill. Sure mario is a good game but thats the best game they have. Or maybe I'm just getting older and enjoy better games.

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Don't knock it! I think the DS looks exciting and refreshing, while the PSP just looks boring. My housemate had a PS2 and I've yet to find a game on that which I really enjoy (that can't be found on GameCube). Most games are stale and boring these days and, while I agree that Nintendo hasn't been on its top-most form recently, they have the most potential in providing a great and innovative gameplay experience. There's more to life than graphics.

Of course there's no word yet on a European release. I would put a bet down for May 2005... :rolleyes: :confused:

Oh, and now that Animal Crossing has finally just been released in the UK for GameCube (some 2 years after the US release) I think I might go and buy that.. :)

6. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

$149!! Thats cheep. I (my mom) paid $200 for my game boy advance on its opening day. This pleases me much. A ds and the wow special edition should make a great Christmas.

7. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

yeah, PSP is so cool that i decided to take one when it hits stores.

8. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

There's your problem. Animal Crossing!!!?? are you serious??? That game is a super 7 year old version of The sims but even worse. I gave my gamecube to my girlfriend so she wouldn't have to play that game at my house anymore. That game and many more like it is the reason Nintendo sucks. Even X-box is better then cube in my option.

9. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I did not like the way the prototype design of the Nintendo DS looked, but now that they've refined it for the release, I love it. I think it looks a lot better than the Sony PSP. I can't wait to buy one.

10. Borjan macrumors regular

11. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Looks nice. The portable sony gaming whatever looks okay. Not on my must purchase list. The gameboy looks quite nice but I'm not too intrested right now. I'm focusing on the Xbox right now for two reasons: SW Battlefront and Halo 2.

Animal Crossing-I love that game! Sure it's more aimed at kids but it's addictive and just plain fun. Normaly I'm the guy who is going to go for the violent shooter type or the strategy type. My two favorites. But Animal Crossing is just, well, fun.

12. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

For my money, Nintendo's doing far better than the competition in my opinion. The only current system that has broken the "three good games" threshold before I'll buy a system is the GameCube. It's got Metroid Prime, two awesome Rogue Squadron games, Super Smash Bros.: Melee, another Metroid game coming out soon, and one other good game that escapes me for whatever reason. Fortunately, I still don't have to put down $100 for a GameCube as my neighbor in my house owns one, although I do plan on asking for a couple of games for Christmas for playing on his system.

By way of comparison, X-Box has almost no games I'm interested in and PlayStation 2 only has the Splinter Cell games.

Nintendo 64 was probably the low point in Nintendo's history as a console maker. It was a great piece of hardware, but it was incredibly difficult to write games for and cartridges were a mistake. It still had a few awesome games, notably Rogue Squadron and Zelda 64 (still the best Zelda game, IMO).

13. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Let me just say this nintendo PWNS portable gaming. look at the history nintendo out sold the game gear , that other sega handheld and almost anything else that has come out on the portable market. Why you ask? Well lets think what is the most important feature in portable gaming? Answer Battery life.

If you have to re-charge your battery every hour there is really no sense in buying one. i am not sure of the battery life of the PSP but I am willing to bet the nintendo DS has a longer battery life. nuff said.

P.S. It also has another metroid game coming out on it. can't wait.

14. applekid macrumors 68020

Don't forget PictoChat is included in the DS hardware and you get a demo cart of the latest Metroid game! I think it even includes multiplayer capability! :)

15. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Wow i didn't realize it came with metroid preview. one more reason i will probably pick one up. I already have a silver game cube and silver GBA SP, so this will match both. not to mention they all match my G5 :rolleyes:

16. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Don't forget Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and Mariokart and Super Mario 64 (the best Mario game ever). Oh and Zelda: Majora's mask was a great follow-up to Zelda 64. :)

17. 3-22 macrumors regular

DS will be king...

I have a deposit on a Nintendo DS... I was looking at the PSP but it's just going to be way too expensive for me. I'm not a big, big gamer but wanted a portable just to mess around with. I can't justify to the wife a $300-400 PSP... Besides while it wins on the looks department the battery life looks pretty sad. (from trade rumors) Maybe with with time and optimization this could get better.

The fact the DS is 2 screens, 3D-support, has a touch screen, decent battery, wireless built-in, works with the current GBA carts and is $149 made the sale for me. Now if the PSP comes out $149-200 i might kick myself.

Time will tell... But I personally think Nintendo came in with an excellent price/value and will dominate the market.

18. DarkNovaMatter macrumors member

Has no one heard of Pikmin? (shame on you all :p ) I am verry likely going to get a DS, especially after all the misteps Sony has taken. They didn't finalize the hardware 'til 6 months before shipping in Japan, didn't ship the finalized SDK until 3 months 'til shipping ( Japan might have to worry about buggy games). They have now put battery life problems in the hands of the developers ( not worrying about the game?- could it be your worrying about battery life instead of making a good game?), and after hearing about most games are just going to be PS2 ports (Sony's even limiting the budget of PSP original games) I just think I will either buy a PS2 to be along side my cube and wait for the game there.When you have this kind of power in a handheld- you can't say to the developer "you can't use the power, you got to make sure you give the unit a decent battery life"- the question becomes- why did you even put this amount of power in it?

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What's the wireless communication based on? Can you get it to work with your computer? I think that might be a great way to go as well - buy games online and download them to the handheld...

D

20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It's 802.11g (interestingly, Nintendo has gone for non-proprietary for once) but I wouldn't hold out on communication with your Mac.

Oh, and I've heard of Pikmin - brilliant game (can't wait for the sequel).

21. applekid macrumors 68020

Pikmin on DS would equal killer-app.

And so would Smash Bros...

22. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I think it uses both 802.11g and their own format which use less power.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The new Zelda game coming out next year is supposed to be the best one yet.

24. Jagga macrumors member

Nintendo DS baby

Me too with the DS system.

Nintendo has NEVER lost money on ANY console to date! Wonder why because They KNOW their target markets and what their doing.

350+ whatever processor speeds & emotion graphics blah blah means nothing to me unless I can actually SEE USE PLAY the difference - and if its at a valuable price point for the consumer. Sorry SONY I'll only use your home stereos and HI-MD walkmans.

The Gaming market has made their choice with going to the DS over the PSP!

I owned a Playstation 2 and games were awesome yet after 2 weeks I finished them all.

GameCube - I've got 4 games; My kids & wife still haven't finished our 1st 4 games (Metroid Prime/Starfox Adventures/Spiderman The Movie 1/some other game that looses me - daughters game.), and although we're fustrated unable to finishe them in 6 weeks its MUCH MORE FUN.

I remember this with other Nintendo consoles and the GameBoy Advance SP systems. That and compatibility for those games on the DS has got us ALL buying 1 a piece = 4 Nintendo 2 Black & 2 Silver! :D .

WIreless connection up to 16 people even if 1 has the game and the others DON"T, sweeEEEEEttttTT!

even over a WiFi to DSL/Cable connection for online head to head gaming with someone in Japan is Primo!

25. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Another cool feature revealed:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/31/news_6106106.html

Analyst note: Nintendo DS invites free voice-over-IP chat

----------

TNI Securities report says the DS handheld will enable free phone calls at wireless hotspots.

In its Electronic Entertainment Industry Update released today, TNI Securities reports that the recently revealed headset port on the Nintendo DS will be used in conjunction with the built-in wireless 802.11b networking capabilities to offer voice-over-IP chat--in effect, allowing gamers to use the DS to make free phone calls at wireless network hotspots.

The report, which is intended for investors in the electronic games industry, goes on to express TNI's opinion that this will "help drive adoption among the increasingly connected younger gaming audience."

Analyst Boris Markovich in his weekly memo said, "The headset will allow gamers to use the DS as a phone handset enabling free phone calls over wireless network hotspots. We think that this will be a very compelling application of the handset..."

Markovich adds that based on his research, the DS remains "on track" for a 2004 release in both the US and Japan.

By Chris Kohler -- GameSpot