Nintendo DS opinions?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Feb 23, 2005.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I recently picked one of these up and i must say i am quite impressed. The metroid demo included is very detailed and makes good use of the touchscreen. Over all I say nintendo has once again come out with a great quality handheld for a great price. I am looking foward to the mario cart and metroid full versions. I think this will deliver a better gaming experience than its counter-part PSP. What do u all think?

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I love my DS. It will be even better when there are more DS games.....but I have a lot of GBA games to play on it right now. Go to:
    www.decalgirl.com

here you can find decals to spice up your DS or make it look retro.

3. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

I don't like it. I sold mine after 3 weeks. I'm waiting for the PSP. That's going to be a better system.

4. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I've got a DS and a PSP (both imported, and I actually paid more for the DS, lol) and I love them both.

While the DS' graphics aren't as good as the PSP's, they're both suited to the screen sizes they've got, and both look great.

The DS is a great fun system, with a new way of playing games. If you're looking for Nintendo charm, you can't go wrong with the DS. The PSP definitely has the wow factor, as it's basically a portable PS2.

If you're looking for something new and exciting, go with a DS, if you're looking to play PS2 quality games on the go, then you should go with a PSP.

Personally I think the systems compliment each other quite nicely, as they're both so different.

Oh, and if anyone tells you the controls on the DS are bad; they've not spent any time with the system. There's a (really bad quality) video of me playing Mario 64 DS: here.

Just to let you know, it's very hard trying not to move the system and play with your arms at full length stretched around a tripod. ;) (as you can see near the end with me missing a couple of jumps)

5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I have spent a couple of hours with the DS, and I have to say that it's a totally unique gaming experience. I'm going to buy either the DS or the PSP, but not both. For me, it comes down to titles. While the PSP sports better graphics and UMD movie playback, it's sort of the "same old thing". However, I've always thought Nintendo spent their time trying to make "fun" games, and Sony tries to make "cool" games.

I played Mario 64 (one of the best games ever!!!) and Feel the Magic (very good use of touch screen). Both were fun. That new Warioware looks like great fun as well. However, as a sports junky, I'm drawn towards the PSP's sports titles from EA and 989.

Personally, I'm going to wait until summer to make my purchase. More games will be available by then. Also, after E3 my friends and I dubbed the DS and PSP the "G.P.A. Killer 5000" and the "G.P.A. Killer 9000", respectively. ;)

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I have a DS, and just picked up Wario Ware Touched the other day. Needless to say I spent a good half and hour unrolling toilet paper, those that have played WWT know what I am talking about, those that haven't well, get a DS and WWT.

I got the DS becuase nintendo makes great games, especially handheld games. I have a PS2 and rarely play it, so I would imagine that having a portable PS2 would be pretty worthless.

Really it all comes down to preference, I am looking forward to innovative games coming out for the DS, the dual screens and touch screen really make it a different type of gaming experience. Plus, when Final Fantasy DS or whatever its called is released, I am sure lots of FF fanboys will come out and buy a DS. :D

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I got a DS for Christmas and personally I'm very happy with it. I was expecting the dual screens and touchscreen to be a gimmick, but they both turned out to work surprisingly well. The touchscreen in particular has HUGE promise, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing more games that take advantage of it.

That, and so far Nintendo has never failed to make great games--aside from reliving the magic of Mario 64 (now with Luigi!), the mini-games it includes are like crack in a handheld. My wife--who is not a big video game fan--kept me up to 4:30am last night when she discovered a particularly addictive new one. They also make impressive use of both screens and the touchscreen creating some games you just couldn't do on a single portable screen with a traditional controller.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My personal opinion is that the PSP is going to end up being a console of mostly PS2 ports, with little originality. Great if you don't have a PS2, though.

The thing is, the PSP has a few flaws that make me go with the DS:

A) Battery life. 4 hours...come on...
    B) While most games will be PS2 ports, it has inferior controls to the PS2 with the analog nub. That may or may not cause difficulty, I'm not sure.
    C) Disks. I do not want to carry disks in my pocket.
    D) Price. It is a full $100 more expensive than the DS.

Add to that the fact that the DS has a larger library being backwards compatible, and that Nintendo is very experienced in making good mobile handheld games.

The PSP and DS are different beasts. The DS is great for a unique experience (touchscreen rocks), the PSP is great for taking console games on the go.

I already have a console, so I opt for the unique experience rather than a mobile version of what I already have.

One warning:
    The DS launch titles SUCK with the exception of Super Mario 64. The good games don't start coming out until May (though the just-released WWT is good and there will be a few games in March that are decent).

Viewtiful Joe DS, Star Wars Ep 3 DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, etc are all in May.

Nintendo will likely give it a price drop around then (was the NA PSP launch date in May or March?) to attract attention away from the PSP...
    so if you don't need it right this moment or if you would get bored of Mario 64 (which rocks!), consider waiting for the NA PSP launch to see if Nintendo drops the price.

9. applekid macrumors 68020

Well, there's a ton of space for innovation with the touchscreen that can reach a broader audience or make the games more satisfying. How much the 3rd parties actually take advantage of this is what I am worried about.

However, rumors are saying Nintendo is prepping an online gaming service like X-Box Live soon. I hope to see some quality games to take advantage of this.

10. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I have to agree with most of what you're saying, but do have a few things to add.

Battery life; I've not actually sat down and tested it, but I've never had the PSP's battery die on me. I'm sure I must be getting at least 5/6 hours switching between different games. (mostly Ridge just now though)
    I charge it most nights, but even when I forget, it hasn't run out on me.

Personally I don't like the analogue nub; it's doesn't allow for very fine control at all, and none of the buttons are analogue either. Hopefully the machine won't just get loaded with ports, as it's got four less buttons, one less analogue stick, and none of the buttons are analogue. If it does get loaded with ports, then they probably won't be all that good to control.

I don't like discs either; they're not very well protected (there's no cover over the open bit) but I'm just planning on getting a minidisc "wallet" to carry my games about with me. (currently I only take one game in the machine and that's it)

Price; well, I can't really comment. I had someone I know bringh it back from japan, and it was only £99 for the hardware, which is really cheap. (I paid almost £150 for my DS as I was taxed) No official retail prices here.

Backwards compatability is nice; especially if you didn't have a GBA/SP. (I didn't, and now have quite a few GBA games)

I wouldn't say the DS titles suck though; I've got Mario 64 DS, Mr. Driller (jp) Chokkan Hitofude (jp) Catch! Touch! Yoshi! (jp) and they're all great games. There's also Wario, Feel the Magic, and I'm sure something else that I've forgotten.

The PSP only has a couple of great launch titles too though; Ridge Racers, Lumines and Metal Gear AC!D being the main ones, but Puzzle Bobble, and Mahjong Fight Club are supposed to be great too.

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I held out on the DS until two weeks ago. However, now that I finally got it.. I can't put it down. Absolutely, one of the greatest devices Nintendo has made.

I love it so much, I even registered on Nintendo's website, and I never go through the registration process. Heh.

12. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I sold my DS recently as well. It was awesome for the first 2 weeks, but the originality wore off rather quickly. I've had palm devices for years and recently had a tapwave zodiac, so I guess the touchscreen features are nothing new to me. I'm planning on getting a psp in the future, as the lauch games are much more appealing to me than anything currently available on DS.

13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

The Nintendo DS is in my oppinion the greatest Nintendo system ever.

Why? The graphics and battery life in the small portable unit, with WiFi and chatting capabilities AND over 10,000 gameboy games compatible with it.

My only complaint is that you can't use it like a real TV console - the graphics would support it, but you cant hook it up to a TV set...

But it is amazing.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yep, there's only two improvements I would make.

1) Some kind of app that runs in the background when you play in GBA mode that establishes a virtual link cable over WiFi, so you can play multiplayer GBA games over wireless and it thinks you have a link cable attached. As it is, there is no way to play GBA games in mutiplayer.

2) Use TCP/IP protocol. The proprietary MAC-address protocol the launch games use is fine for pvp, but it can't go online until developers start putting TCP/IP in their games. The PSP has TCP/IP by default, so that saves some work on game developers. We will eventually see online DS games though, w00t.

The DS rocks though :)

Uh...Why would you want to? It's not like you can use a pen on the TV screen. You need a touch screen, remember?

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Shoulda waited, all the good games are still coming, only the launch games suck.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

IIRC, it was 4-6 hours (depending on the game) in single player and 2-4 using wireless (multiplayer). That fits.

It depends how disk-intensive the game is.

The Japanese pricing is approx. $150 (I'm converting here) for the DS and $190 for the PSP (with no memory card).
    The US pricing is $150 for the DS and $250 for the PSP (but the US PSP includes a memory card).
    Well, I don't import games...
    Mario 64 DS rocks.
    Puzzle games I could get on my calculator, so I didn't go for Mr. Driller. Yoshi's Touch and Go isn't out in the US yet, and Wario Ware isn't a launch title.
    I said the launch titles suck (excepting Mario 64)...the newest games are good though (Wario Ware, Yoshi's Touch and Go when it comes out, etc).

The DS launch titles were Sprung (ick), Feel the Magic (doesn't appeal to me at ALL), Madden (which sucks really, really bad), Mario 64, Asphault Urban GT, Ridge Racer, and Mr. Driller.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

There's a lot of rumors about it, true, but it's based in fact; Nintendo has said that they WILL bring the DS online.

Then theres the rumors with people claiming to be Nintendo employees stating that they will have games online on or before E3 this year.

18. BigDogg macrumors member

BigDogg

I am leaning towards the PSP as of now. The DS is a nice looking portable, but most of the games just do not appeal to me. On the otherside, I think PSP should include two analog sticks - especially with companies like EA's hit stick.
    The ability for the PSP to play movies is limited to the UMD disk, and suppose you wanted to watch this movie at home on the big screen? Not an option.
    But if the PS3 was rumored to play these UMD movies on the other hand, it would be much more appealing. Wireless capabilities in both systems will prove to be interesting.I have heard (can't remember where) of Sony possibly adding a firmware update for the PSP allowing you to browse he internet wirelessly, although I have also read of firmware updates screwing up peoples PSP. :eek: :confused: :cool:

19. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

I'm lovin' my DS

I got a DS around Christmas time and I play it tons or anytime I have a few free minutes. I have noticed a strange pattern though. I buy the newest Nintendo home system and a get a ton of games, play them and toss them aside. I buy the newest Nintendo handheld buy the same games (Mario 64) cause I remember how good they are, play it and toss it aside. Am I the only one out there that plays almost every good Nintendo title twice? Does Nintendo get into everyones pocket twice? It still a small price to pay for a little fun.

20. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I read in one of the latest gaming magazines that in Japan they are introducing a compact flash/sd card device (size of gameboy advance cartridge) that will be able to store mpeg movies (or music for music listening) on it so that you can watch movies on the DS. Just hook it up to your computer and add the mpeg movie to the card and voila....a portable video player/video game player from nintendo. Now whether that makes it to the U.S. (or out of Japan), I doubt it......and very doubtful that it will be compatible with a Mac.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I suggest watching the upcoming games.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/platform.php?platformid=84
    Games on Nintendo DS:
    2005 Advance Wars 3
    2005 Age of Empires
    2005 Air Assault 2
    2005 Animal Crossing DS
    2005 Another Code
    2004 Asphalt Urban GT
    2005 Baten Kaitos
    2005 Big Mutha Truckers
    2005 Boktai (working title)
    2005 Bomberman
    2005 Brain Twisting Game Vol. 1 (Japanese)
    2005 Caduceus (Japanese)
    2005 Castlevania
    2005 Choro-Q DS (Japanese)
    2005 Cool 104 Joker & Setline (working title) (Japanese)
    2005 Crash Clash Racing
    2005 Deep Labyrinth (Japanese)
    TBA Disney Presents a Pixar Film: The Incredibles
    TBA Disney/Pixar's Cars
    2005 Dragon Booster (Japanese)
    TBA Dragon Booster (working title)
    2005 Dragon Quest Monsters
    2005 Dragonball Z
    2005 Dust and Shadows (Japanese)
    2005 Dynasty Warriors
    2005 Egg Monster Heroes
    2004 Feel the Magic: XY/XX
    2005 Final Fantasy III (Japanese)
    2005 Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    2005 Ford Racing
    2005 Frogger
    2005 Fushigi no Dungeon (Japanese)
    2005 Ganbare Goemon (Mystical Ninja) series (Japanese)
    2005 GoldenEye: Rogue Agent
    2005 Gyakuten Saiban (Objection Court) (Japanese)
    2005 Harvest Moon (Japanese)
    2005 Hokuto no Ken (Japanese)
    2005 Intern Tendo Dokuta (Japanese)
    2005 Jam with the Band (temporary title)
    2005 Jaws (tentative title)
    2005 Jinsei-Game DS (Japanese)
    2005 Jissen Pachislot Hisshohou! Fist of the North Star (Japanese)
    TBA Jump Superstars
    2005 Kenshuui Tendou Dokuta (Japanese)
    2005 King Kong
    2005 Kirby: The Magic Paintbrush (Japanese)
    2005 Legend of the River King series (Japanese)
    TBA Lost in Blue
    2005 Madagascar
    2004 Madden NFL 2005
    2005 Mahjong Taikai (Japanese)
    2005 Mario Kart (tentative title)
    2005 Mega Man Battle Network (Japanese)
    2005 Meteos (Japanese)
    2005 Metroid Pinball
    2005 Metroid Prime: Hunters
    2005 Minna no Mahjong (Japanese)
    2005 Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
    2005 Monster Farm Jamboree (Japanese)
    2005 Monster Rancher DS (Japanese)
    2005 Moonlight Fables
    2004 Mr. DRILLER: Drill Spirits
    2005 Nanostray
    2005 Naruto (Japanese)
    2005 Need for Speed Underground 2
    2005 One Piece
    2005 Organizer Plus (Japanese)
    2005 Pac Pix
    2005 Pac'n Roll (working title)
    2005 Picto-Chat
    2004 Ping Pals
    2005 Pokémon Dash!
    2005 Pokemon Diamond (Japanese)
    2005 Pokemon Platinum (Japanese)
    2005 Polarium
    2004 Prince of Tennis (Japanese)
    2006 Project DA (Japanese)
    Project Rub (European)
    2005 Project Rub (Japanese)
    2005 Puppy Times (temporary title)
    2005 Puyo Pop Fever (Japanese)
    2005 Puzzle Bobble series (Japanese)
    2005 Quad Desert Fury 2
    2005 Rayman DS
    2005 Retro Atari Classics
    2004 Ridge Racer DS
    2005 Robots
    2004 Sawaru Made in Wario (Japanese)
    2005 Scooby-Doo! Unmasked
    2005 Secret of Mana series (Japanese)
    2005 Shin Megami Tensei DS (Japanese)
    2005 Slime Morimori Dragon Quest series (Japanese)
    2005 Snood 2: Lost In Snoodville
    2005 Snowboard Kids (Japanese)
    2005 Sonic DS
    2005 Soul Calibur
    2005 Space eXploration Rally (Japanese)
    2005 Space Invaders
    2004 Spider-Man 2
    2005 Spongebob Squarepants DS (Japanese)
    2004 Sprung
    2005 Spyro (tentative title)
    2005 Spyro RPG
    2005 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    2004 Super Mario 64 DS
    2005 Super Mario Bros. DS
    2005 Super Princess Peach (Japanese)
    2005 Survival Kids (Japanese)
    Tendo Dokuta (Japanese)
    2005 Tennis no Ouji-Sama 2005 Crystal Drive (Japanese)
    2005 Texas Hold Em
    2005 The Game of Life DS (Japanese)
    2005 The Incredible Hulk
    TBA The Legend of Zelda DS
    2004 The Urbz: Sims in the City
    2004 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
    2005 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    2005 Ultimate Brain Games
    2005 Ultimate Card Games
    2005 Ultimate Pocket Games
    2004 Urban GT
    2005 Uruseiyatsura (Japanese)
    2005 Vandal Hearts (Japanese)
    2005 Viewtiful Joe
    2005 WarioWare: Touched!
    2005 WINX (Japanese)
    2005 World Championship Poker
    2005 World Soccer Winning Eleven series (Japanese)
    TBA Xenosaga
    2005 Yakuman DS (Japanese)
    2005 Yoshi Touch & Go
    2005 Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour
    2005 Zoo Keeper
    2005 Zoo Tycoon

AGE OF EMPIRES DS PEOPLE! w00t!

Animal Crossing is rumored to be the first online game.

You're also supposed to be able to watch movies on a memory card, but 1 GB is the max for Sony Memory sticks and they're 2 to 4 times as expensive as normal CF cards. It's ridiculous. And you can't fit much on that.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Play-Yan does SD cards, you can buy a multimedia adapter for CF cards for $25 off Yik-sang.

23. Vster macrumors 6502

I love my DS, but I don't think that all of the launch titles sucked. I've had a blast with Feel The Magic and I really like Asphalt Urban GT.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay, I haven't played AU GT, though XPlay's review of it was that it wasn't good.

Feel the Magic...er...that one boils down to opinion.

25. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

No, you didn't understand what I meant.

I meant it would be good if you could plug it into a TV and use the DS as the controller, and have the top screen or the bottom screen (for some games use the top, some use the bottom) appear on the TV, and use the DS as the controller... and the bottom touch screen would still be able to work...