Nintendo DS or Gameboy Advance?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Poff, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I am considering getting one of these two, but I am not sure which. I want to try to get my wife into some gaming with this aswell, and a pro with buying a GBA is that we could link on games like Kirby: Nightmare In Dreamland and stuff if we bought another one.

On the other hand, the DS seems more "friendly" to the non-gamer. The stylus should be more natural. I know she'll love Polarium, and she might also like the Kirby-game for DS. (Power Paintbrush?) We'll never get two DS's because of the cost, tho. And the GBA is smaller and cuter.

So, if I could humbly ask for your opinions, which system do you think I should get? What games do you think would be cool for girls. We're both 22 yrs old.

Gameboy Advance:
    Pros:
    small, cute
    kirby:nightmare
    more games
    multiplayer linking?
    cons:
    maybe not so "nongamer friendly"?

Nintendo DS:
    Pros:
    nongamer friendly
    polarium
    nintendogs? maybe?
    cons:
    expensive
    big, bulky
    few games
    no multiplayer

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'd say go for the DS, unless you NEED something pocket sized. Since you're looking at this to get someone into gaming, the wireless multiplayer is a huge bonus if you eventually get a second unit. (They will get cheaper and be available used, so never say never!)

The price isn't bad, an extra $50 isn't too bad for the latest and greatest... :)

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

The DS can play gameboy advance games thou o_O so in theory the DS doesn't have less games.

4. Agilus macrumors regular

I agree with mrgreen4242. I end up playing all of my GBA games on my DS anyway, and the wireless multiplayer will be great as soon as I find someone else with a DS nearby. The loss of GBA multiplayer functionality isn't that big of a deal to me, because I never used it anyway (Only game I liked it for was Mario Kart: Super Circuit, and the friends I played it with usually enjoyed console versions of MK better anyway - it was a nice addition for the All-version Mario Kart extravaganza party I thew, though :) ).

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

honestly i dont know what i'd pick! the new SP has a screen much brighter than that of the DS, PSP and the GB Micro! its supposed to be beautiful.

then again, the DS is going places. Nintendo Wifi Connection is announced in October, we'll probably be given a mountain load of Wifi games to play through by Xmas time. and Animal Crossing is just round the corner too... so for Multiplayer its sorted. and its single-pak sharing is much more generous than the GBA single-pak sharing.

Right now id go for the SP but i'd know deep down that i'd buy a DS if not before, then for Xmas.

Both platforms are fantastic. one is a legend one is growing to become one. besides you know that if you get an SP you will always crave a DS ;)

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

you donut! the SP can play original GB and GBC games; the DS not. GBA win :p ;) :) :eek: :cool:

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

he might be considering the GBA micro which can't play the GB and GBC games

;)

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Buy the DS. It really is much friendlier to the nontypical gamer, especially girls (I know more than one girl that bought a DS just for Nintendogs).

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Get the DS. Nintendo launches their online network in November with a bunch of games.

Mario Kart is online!

Animal Crossing is online!

Tony Hawk's American Sk8land is online!

I'd be surprised if Burnout Legends wasn't online (they said they didn't make a Cube version of Burnout 3 because it didn't have online play).

w00t!

Plus a ton more games in November.

10. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Thanks for all the replies. Just out of curiousity, could you mention some cool multiplayer games for the GBA? I know about the Kirby-one, but are there others that would appeal to both sexes?

11. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    my girlfriend isn't a gamer but she can not stop playing nintendogs. with all the awesome DS games on the horizon and the ability to play all the Advance games... i'd get the DS over an Advance any day of the week.

12. cubist macrumors 68020

If you say you'll never get two DSs, then you'd be better off with two of the new, brighter SP, than just one DS.

Drawback is, you can't get Nintendogs, or Advance Wars DS, which is a great game. And other good games will be coming out. Also, very few games on the SP seem to work in 'download mode', so you might end up spending more on games, which will cut into your savings.

I really think you ought to reconsider the ol' budget here. Multiplayer gaming is a hoot. Your wife may not care for Advance Wars, but Animal Crossing DS might be something you two could play.

13. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

Never is a long time....

Get the DS... I just imported a white one myself, goes so nice with my iMac

Anyways the GBA has quite a backlog of games, but really it's dieing hardware that Nintendo has injected with some life via the Micro. DS is the future, and with the Nintendo WiFi connection starting this year it's going to make it better than ever. Not to mention we're finally starting to see killer apps that have had a good amount of development time... and the holiday season simply looks awesome!

I like the DS because it feels so interactive and I'm sure that's what a lot of non-gamers like about it too... there are so many new types of games coming out and I really want to try them out.

I'll put it this way, I used to play my SP when I didn't have access to my console, and now I'm playing my DS instead of my console.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

same here! Since i got back from my girlfriends 2 weeks ago I haven't played on my Gamecube, only played on my Xbox because i had a huge hankering for Panzer Dragoon Orta (before realizing it would incredible with the Rev controller :D ).

I play Nintendogs every night -just bought the $500 home!. and Final Fantast 1+2 are always in the GBA port.
    its just so much easier playing a handheld. and so much more fun :) the DS is at a perfect point in the handhelds great journey. its back to PS1 graphics. back to the basics where gameplay was focused upon rather than cinematic graphics. its going to be a nice ride :) but the next handheld... well if it followed the consoles path its the GC/Xbox/PS2 where gameplay declined a little :( for me at least.

15. Poff thread starter macrumors 65816

Poff

Thanks for all great replies. I'm leaning towards GBA, since internet play won't be needed anyways.

Do all the new SPs have brighter screens? I'm thinking of buying from Lik-Sang.

I haven't completely decided yet, tho.. hmm..

A good point that most GBA multiplayer games need two carts. I think this is the truth with Kirby:Nightmare aswell.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

GET THE DS! Seriously, right now I'm searching the house for my GBA because I left a game in it, haven't played the GBA for like two months.

17. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

Do you realize an SP cost $100 + shipping at Lik Sang... while a DS cost $130 at a store?

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I saw a GameBoy Micro yesterday and while I liked the shape, I think it might be too small since it's seems even smaller to hold than the N-Gage, even if the screen is much bigger.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually the SP is $79.

Why would Poff have to buy the SP off Lik-sang, but not the DS? :confused:

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well isn't he living in norway ? ;)
    here in austria the price for the SP is still around 99€ (inkl tax) and the price of the DS is about to drop to 129 so the difference is not that big like in the US

personally i would go with the DS despite the small buttons i don't like that much

(with the micro launching at 99€ as well the question micro vs sp is a different one over here too .. the micro is a much better deal than the SP IMHO.. and more comfortable to hold as well)

but for myself i'm holding out for more price drops on the micro or DS

21. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

Good point about ordering, but the SP is $100 bucks (98.90) at Lik Sang.

but anways no matter whether it's a $30 or $50 difference the DS is still worth it.

22. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

DS is bulky

The GBA Micro would be great for gaming anywhere. As much as I like the games on the DS, I think that the size is big enough to make me think twice before putting it in a pocket. It is heavier too.

Any GBA with a copy of Wario Ware, Inc. should convince anyone about its merits.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i cant decide either, but its even worse now!

I just got Advance Wars DS from Game yesterday (£30! *grumbles* spose its not as bad as those £35-40 PSP games :D) and its bloomin awesome. possibly one of the most addictive games i've ever played. portably digital crack indeed.

Then again I was playing my girlfriends old GBA. the vintage purple one. and its so much more comfortable to hold compared to the DS, SP and PSP. its just uber comfy.

24. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Anyway, since you're two people and you can't afford more than one DS, I guess I'd go with the GA too. A good multiplayer session is hard to beat in fun-value.
    Although, if you only had yourself to worry about, I'd go with the DS. It's so different from the reason of the bunch, with its dual screen and pen. :)

As for ordering for Lik-Sang. I assume you haven't forgotten about that pesky import tax? How much cheaper does it get compared to buying it in Norway? Because I'm tempted to order it myself. :)

25. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

metroid will also have wi-fi. That is the reason it was pushed back to next year. Also, expect a huge wi fi announcement sometime in October. You will be pleased by it. The micro is actually a little bit brighter than the new sp's.

Also if you are considering getting a ds there are some new bundels coming soon. On Oct. 24th their is a Nintendogs bundel with a teal and pink DS. The only way to get these colors is with this bundel. Also the version of Nintendogs offered is a limited version called best friends, which features the 6 most popular breeds from all three versions. This also includes skins for the ds.

In november a mario kart bundel will be available. IT is a hot shot red ds which includes mario kart and some skins for the DS. Both DS bundles are 149.99.

if your looking for a cube their will be a pokemon bundel next week and a mario party seven bundel with an extra controller. This is available in Nov and is 99.99.

oh yeah not to mention Castlevania and Resident Evil are on the way..

The DS will also connect to the next gen console wirelessly allowing you to download demo's to the ds and possible play the games via the next gen console (similar to gameboy player).