Nintendo DS or Sony PSP?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sethypoo, Oct 31, 2004.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

There are two new handheld systems hitting the merket soon, the Nintendo DS (www.nintendo.com/ds), and the Sony PSP (psp.ign.com).

I think both systems are really excititing. The Nintendo DS has my attention though. It's got 802.11b wireless capability, voice command options, and dual screens, one of which is a touch screen. I've been a Nintendo fan forever, and I view purchasing a Sony videogame product as "cheating." The DS will be released on November 21st, 2004, retailing for $149.99. It's also backwards compatable with all Game Boy Color and Advance games, as well as the new DS games. It will ship with Nintendo's proprietary wireless protocol too, which, along with the 802.11b protocol, will allow for wireless gaming and chat. Nintendo also claims that gamers will be able to play each other wirelessly even if only one person has a game cartridge.

However, the Sony PSP (short for PlayStation Portable) has a lot of amazing features, considering it's size. It'll play media off of an optical disc format, called UMD's (universal media discs). The PSP will also be able to play MP3's, AAC, and movies distributed on Sony's proprietary discs. It will too have 802.11b wireless protocol, and a higher resolution screen (16:9 format). It will retail for "under $200" and will be released, I think, in early 2005. The PSP also has more memory then the Nintendo DS and a slightly faster processor.

So what do you think? I think the DS rocks, and am definately hoping for it for this Christmas.

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

The DS has a greater chance of beating the PSP easily.

Since Ninentdo basically gave up the GameCube, their handheld stuff is the only stuff to focus on now.

I believe the DS will reign supreme.

3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I hear Metroid on the DS is sweet.

Nintendo has given up on the Gamecube? They have Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2, the new Legend Of Zelda coming as well as tons of 3rd party games (Resident Evil and Viewtiful Joe 2) ... I don't think Nintendo has given up yet... besides they have to butter people up for their next console.

4. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Say what?

Get your head out of the sand boy! The GameCube is far from given up upon. As David said, Metroid 2, the new Zelda, and Paper Mario are going to have a very good holiday season.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i'm gonna go with the psp, because it's basically the power of a ps2 in handheld form is it not? if battery life is on par with my 3g ipod i'll be quite happy, plus i've seen several games for it and they look awesome, especially need for speed underground. i also love the analog stick like the neo geo pocket :p

6. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Ive been a long time fan of Nintendo, but I'm going to have to say the PSP is going to whoop its ass. Nintendo's will come out first, which is one advantage--plus it's battery life will be higher.

Other than that, the PSP will have a bigger screen (hello?), better graphics, and more games. The DS screens are just TOO small. Watch some videos online and you have to squint to see any Metroid Prime action. And honestly, the touch screen sounds more like a gimmick than a feature. I think they are scrambling to put as much stuff in there to make up for the smaller screen size. Sony has em runnin scared.

7. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Last I heared it was going to ru between $300 to $400. If its "under $200" then I think the PSP is the way to go. I know its what I have been "dreaming" of sence the Sega Nomad (Although this isn't quite the same given that it doesn't use Playstaion (1 or 2) disks, but close enough I think).

If it runs over the $200 mark, then the DS is what I will check out, and I think a lot of other people will too.

8. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

PSP is under $200

Sony annouced last thursday the price of the PSP will be $195 in japan when it launches right before christmas there. The price should be the same here in the US.

The thing to remember is that both the PSP and the DS are not region coded, so if one really wanted to they could buy an import PSP, and have no troubles using it with US games when the PSP is finally released state side. Same would go for the DS, but the DS is coming out here in the US before japan, so no need to import. :)

9. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Cool, then I will need to consider a way to come up with $200 to purchase this monster. I am travelling to/from work most of the time (the wonders of the T) and would love a good game system to bring with me (Don't own a laptop and no money to get one).

My GBA just doen't cut it. Its not the graphics, I could care less, many of my favorite games are older ones. Its content, and the GBA disks don't seem to be able to hold enough to give the games real content, I am hoping the PSP changes that situation. If game makers can make games that ate even at Playstation quality (or do I mean quantity) then I will be happy.

10. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

The DS. I want innovative gaming, not glitzy gaming. :cool:

11. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

i am definitely looking into buying one of the two systems, and i'm still deciding.
    i looks like i'm gonna go with the psp, especially if it's under $200. i think the DS is a really uniquely innovative system, and i rue the day (if it comes) that we will be forced to say 'goodbye' to nintendo, but i think a sub-$200 psp will be a better system.
    interms of what we can look at now, the psp kills as far as power goes, and thus has much room for expansion of gaming ability.
    but, the DS's dual and touch sensitive screens (only one is touch sensitive) could bring in a whole new level of creativity on the side of game developers, maybe even new game genres.
    so who knows?

12. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The pricing of the PSP definitely makes this decision a little more thought provoking....no way would I have considered it at +$200. I think I'll get the DS though......$50 cheaper and it comes out this year in the U.S. Also I'm sure there will be more games I like that will come out on it (especially since it plays Gameboy Advance games). I just really do not like Sony video games that much. I had a PS2 for about 6 months and I gave it to my nephews. The only game I really liked on it was Castlevania.

13. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes it'll have a bigger screen, but to run that screen it has two processors (one dedicated entirely to the screen, the other for the game disc), both of which will eat away at the battery life.

The same for the PSP's "better graphics." Considering the relative size of the screens, I don't think graphics are going to really make a huge difference there. After watching videos of the DS and the PSP in action, I can't tell a big difference. There's only so much you can do with a screen (or two) that size.

The PSP will not have more games! The Nintendo DS will have all of the Game Boy Advance's games available to it at launch, as well as the 12 DS made games at launch. the PSP will only have PSP games available.

No one has mentioned yet the fact that the DS has two game card slots, one for DS games and one for GBA games. This could allow developers even more creativity in designing games.

14. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Legacy games dont count!! :p If I want to play gameboy games, Ill get a gameboy. The PSP will have way more next-gen handheld games than the DS. Sure, the several games Nintendo produces (Zelda, Mario) will be kickass, but there will be hundreds of PSP games.

Look, I'm not trying to fuel the flame, but I think it DOES matter how big the graphics are. When you're playing a tiny handheld game, its important to have a large screen to play on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The DS doesnt look BAD, but I think the extra screen is a waste of space. We, as Mac people always brag about bigger screens are better (not to mention widescreen 16:9)

I just think Sony out-engineered Nintendo on this one. The battery may kill the PSP, but other than that, it's a one horse race. Time will tell.

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i disagree with that. who games for like 30 hours straight or however long the DS lasts? battery life didn't kill the ipod and i assume the psp's will be on par with that so i think it'll be a big hit.

16. DarkNovaMatter macrumors member

I'm already sold on the DS, but i will get a PSP if Sony shows their battery life to be true. I am a little sketchy on the psp- when adjusting the volume affects battery life that much. Also with the DS I get pictochat and metroid prime:first hunt, while with the PSP I will have to spend about $60-$70 on top of the game unit to get a game and a card to save games on. Even if I buy another game for the DS thats only going to increase me $30-$40 ($180) still about $60 less (or even more). DS- Will buy if I get the money, PSP- will wait on battery life and for a price decrease. Also I have had fun with the Iridon games- and Majesco is comming out with a new one :)

http://www.shinen.com/games/game.php3?nanostray

17. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

There's no way the PSP will get 12 hours of battery life...

18. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

what about 8? if it gets 8 i'm happy, if not, suck fony ill stick with my trusty gba.

19. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm no expert. Look here for some comments from nintendo about the PSP.Click me!

edit: Nintendo has said that the DS will have battery life comparable to the GBA SP. I expect 8 hours.

20. ZombieChef macrumors newbie

I have already reserved a DS and I'm really excited about it. I am wary of the PSP as Sony announced that it would have only between 4-6 hours of battery life. That seems disappointing and someone from Sony said that it would have even less battery life on the more graphically complex games. Besides, I currently own a PS2 and have to say that Nintendo systems just plain have better games, and how can you say no to Super Mario 64 on a portable.

Go DS!

21. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I gotta say one thing about Nintendo's first party software though, and that is I hope Super Mario 64x4 isn't a preview of things to come, ie rehashes of old titles. If the Zelda title for the DS is Ocarina of Time I'll be very disappointed.

22. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I think PSP looks like it may be a little better only because of the nice screen, but if I get either it will probably be DS... Mostly for Metroid.

23. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

That's great BUT hell, it's portable device to pass the time in short spurts. That's what most people are going to be doing with it. I don't think the intend is for hardcore gaming.

If the PSP is priced similar to the Nintendo device the PSP will most likely prevail.

~e

24. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

One of Nintendo's biggest mistakes was waiting too long to release an optical disk videogame system. The N64 was great, but could have been better with 64 bit graphics and a cd rom drive. Lets hope the same thing doesn't happen with the Nintendo DS. If I had to choose, I'd pick the PSP just because it uses those cool li'l disks. I love Nintendo, and the DS would be worth the cool nintendo games that'll come out for it. Will nintendo still make the GameBoy Advance SP?