Nintendo DS Rev.B Mockups

Discussion in 'Games' started by shadowmoses, Jan 15, 2006.

1. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Rumour's have it a DS re-design will be announced as soon as tommorow, found this cool site with some mockups check it out.........

Anyway my personal favourite out of the mockups hopefully ninty will announce something like this with an SD card slot...

Shadow:)

2. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Some of these are pretty funny. The PSP shaped one, and the GBA SP with about 8 separate screens particularly amused me. :D

I think the DS needs a facelift. It's a fantastic games machine, but just looks really clunky.

3. Subliving macrumors member

Subliving

I totally agree, I love my DS, but it could do with looking a little bit "cooler". I can guarentee that a lot of people will be put off by the way it looks before they've even played on one. Love mine though!

Subliving

4. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

What a coincidence! I was just about to buy a DS last Friday. I'll definitely hold out now till the new one. When I was phoning up shops to find out the best price for one some of them told me there was a DS shortage in Europe which was expected to end in February, could this be something to do with the re-design?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe its just me, but the PR DS shots make the machine look stunning. If it was that shiny looking in real life then people would probably complain less. its beautiful I think.

Taking a wild guess I reckon the new DS to be much thinner, have speakers on the lower half of the system, not as wide or tall, metal in parts, but still with an uber-basic Revolution style look.

On the internal side the screens will likely be much brighter and the battery will be longer by an hour or 2 thanks to a larger but thinner battery. I mean look at the DS's battery. its bleedin tiny!

New port on the top, something smaller (think the SP>Micro port change). All systems to use the same touch screen technology (rather than the current 2).

According to the rumour sites it should be out tomorrow! Lack of stock/production etc. So they say.

6. DevilDog macrumors regular

DevilDog

What do you mean by 2 touch systems???
    the ipod video screen is same resolution...If it had 2 of those it would be stunning. and I would like to see a flip screen that is flush with the top of the system, like it folds down into a groove so it'd be like an sp screen.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

i like number 13. the bottons are still exposed but it looks nice, a REV touch to it.

Bless

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There are 2 touch screen systems out there. I forget who made which one but one has a slight 'grainy' overlay, one has diagonal lines. both are very faint. they say the grainy one is more responsive. Though I've found them both to be equal, I have the diagonal lines version and my sister has the grainy version.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'd LOVE to see an SD card slot on the redesigned DS. I'd sell mine and buy one if you could play videos and run homebrew off it.

Heck, even if it couldn't, if the homebrew community hacked it to run homebrew off it, I'd buy it.

Homebrew is a big selling point for me.

And it makes sense, too! I mean, the Revolution uses SD cards...

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly! since the redesign announcement I've always believed that it will be more in the way of the Revolution, similar style similar features etc.

I doubt we'd see an SD port. but I would pool together funds and buy a new one in a flash. and it probably wouldn't run the virtual console games, not with the DS's low resolution.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

The current DS can run homebrew with a passme

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Correction- PassMe + Card reader + cart, or Passme + flash cart.

Flash carts hold much less, and card readers stick out by a mile. The PassMe also sticks out by a mile. It's very ungainly and annoying. I've been planning to buy the equipment but if Nintendo saved me the money of the card reader...:D

It could run NES games, they run in low resolution. Or downloaded GBC games...
    Nintendo already has the Play-Yan on the market with downloadable games.

It would also allow for the first handheld MMORPG- you need to be able to download updates for MMORPGs, and that would allow it.

Nintendo should allow users to run programs off it but put specific blocks from running commercial roms, so they could support homebrew and make non-Nintendo devices useful only for illegal purposes.

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not a good idea. That means that newer DS games using the wide screen won't play properly on the old DS. If Nintendo forces developers to have to program it to run in both modes (wide and normal), it would be a pain and they're going for developer simplicity.

Perhaps making the top screen bigger and adding movie playback, and not allowing games to use the screen bigger than the normal DS resolution so there is no compatability problems would work, but again, I doubt Nintendo would want to do it.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is there any news on when we can actually see / expect a redesigned DS or is it all just speculation at this point? E3 06?

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Apparently the new DS's could be out very soon. I even think Lik Sang indicated January 16th.

as for the above design, echo what GFLPraxis said. making the screen wider would be as foolish as Microsoft releasing games in both DVD and HD-DVD format. The screen size will not change. they could, in theory, double the resolution of both screens for PDA/Video/Image use. if you're playing a DS game then you'd notice no difference. pixel sizes would be the same. < that's a dream though.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Cool. Have to keep updating liksang today to see if 16th is true :D

I love the DS, but by god it is one ugly MF...

18. shadowmoses thread starter macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Bad News guys Looks like todays potential release was all talk,

Shame as i was looking forward to seeing the re-design, oh well the wait goes on....

Shadow

19. iRhyknow macrumors member

iRhyknow

:mad: I keep waiting for the redesign to buy... If they dont hurry up I won't be able to hold off!

20. shadowmoses thread starter macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Exact situation i'm in its a shame.

Shadow

21. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Ya me also. Was about to buy one when they came back into stock in my local store. Oh well guess I'll just have to hold off till the re-design (its really ugly looking when compared to the psp):p

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yep, I'm dying for a DS but I know they're going to have a better model coming, so I'm holding out. I felt like a sucker buying the GBA SP after I bought a GBA but well, it was much better.

Basically I would like it somewhat smaller and sleeker (it does look clunky and is not really pocket-sized, currently), retain the foldup design (I hate the PSP's exposed screen), and with brighter, neutral-white screens. I doubt Nintendo is going to get very radical with a device that sells for just over $100. Do that and keep the price the same and I'll probably buy one.

Other stuff that I would like to see but don't really expect:

-- Analog thumbsticks (you can see these in some of the mockups)
    -- Thinner hinge, allowing screens to be closer together (not likely because I think some games that span the screens assume the current distance when rendering).
    -- Web browser, email client, ICQ/AIM chat. I'm not asking for anything fancy like Flash or QuickTime, just the basics, HTML and JPG/GIF rendering. A PDF view would be cool but well, maybe that's getting fancy.

23. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

My favorite is this one. It's not one of the more exotic ones (which therefore IMO makes it more likely), but it looks sturdy and compact. If the screens are bright, I'll take one!

24. Sic macrumors 6502

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

no its not its very good lol1