Nintendo has got it this time...

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, Aug 4, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i finally went and picked up a nintendo ds lite after accidentl winning NSMB on ebay for 30 bucks. i gotta say... i've been a nintendo fan forever and this is arguably the best gaming system they've ever made. (at least the best handheld.) and it's cheap too... 129 for a brand new one?! how is Sony even still in the handheld market? anyway, this is awesome! hope the Wii is just as cool... (although from what i hear, it'll be a zillion times better than even this.)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, the DS is pretty much has it. then again one could argue Nintendo knows the handheld market, they know what people want and what price they'll pay.

On the other hand Sony knows the Pocket PC market with their Clie. Which, actually was a dramatically undersold system because of it's high price point compared to the competition.

The PSP is making 2 grave mistakes which are driving it away from consumers. No SD/MMC memory card slot and a high price. Knock it down to DS Lite (£100) levels with a 128mb card and BAM. Because right now if you wanted an internet and multimedia system you buy a Pocket PC for the same price, or if you want games you buy a DS Lite.

3. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

isn't there a web browser coming out for the DS? that will be all the multimedia you could want.

4. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Yes, but with the restriction to WEP and a price of $50 this won't be a best seller...

EDIT: Here's a review of the Opera browser for the DS.

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

And it apparently does even worse with Flash than the PSP (ie, not at all)

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

$50 is the price to import it from Japan. Not the price it will launch at.

7. MS bulldog macrumors regular

unfortunately that is possibly the worst review i've ever read. 1up should be embarassed to have someone review a web browser with no understanding of regular web sites vs. mobile sites and how they are designed and coded.

doubt $50 will be launch price over here...

8. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

If it's half the price I'd be willing to pick it up if it's able to display Gmail and Google Calendar... however, it seems to consist of a DS as well as a GBA module. That's quite annoying...

9. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

The early reviews of the DS browser are completely odd. I've read alot about this browser on Opera's forums and it loads normal sites at 8-45 seconds with content rich sites coming in at over a minute depending on the connection and site. If you want to email, chat, or look at news blogs etc it is pretty nice and it seems that it will be around $30 if it ever launches in the US. As someone said earlier, if you want faster load times use mobile sites or turn off pictures.

10. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

The early reviews of the DS browser are completely odd. I've read alot about this browser on Opera's forums and it loads normal sites at 8-45 seconds with content rich sites coming in at over a minute depending on the connection and site. If you want to email, chat, or look at news blogs etc it is pretty nice and it seems that it will be around $30 if it ever launches in the US. The DS Browser probably has slower load times than the PSP but a faster interface so they are probably about equal. It really can't be compared to pocket PCs because it represents a different demographic and price range. As someone said earlier, if you want faster load times use mobile sites or turn off pictures.

Sorry for the double post.

11. sk1985 macrumors regular

I wish there would be no more DS talk on a million threads....you guys should just make one thread and gloat about your DS' there. Seriously enough has been said about this system on multiple threads. We all know it's a nice system. It seems like all you guys jumped on the DS bandwagon about 2 years too late.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Um how? Many thread are talking about the DS lite (came out June 11th) and its much better then the DS.. The DS is very good system, what do you care if someone is happy abotu buying one?

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hey I've been onto the DS since I got an email from Nintendo blabbing about it. before I visited gaming sites too. I rolleyes now.

14. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I don't see how WEP is a problem. In fact I think the limitation comes from the Nintendo DS itself.

And the real price is supposed to be around 33$US, not 50$US. The 50$US price is for imports. I've heard rumors about Opera DS coming to north-america in october.

As for adding multimedia capabilities to the Nintendo DS, you can with the Nintendo Play-Yan micro (though that's for GBA, so no full-screen for the DS). This one you do have to import.

15. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

That's weird. With the exception of this thread, the only (possible) price point I've seen is US$10.
    Not that I'm doubting you or anything.

I don't have a link though.

16. belovedmonster macrumors regular

WTF? How do you accidently buy a game for a console you dont own?

17. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Why would anyone surf the internet within 30 feet of the computer? Well its because Mom/Dad is using the computer. or its because its offered as free WiFi over the downtown core of the city for the next 6 months by Hydro1 (at least here in Toronto, Ontario Canada).

This reviewer obviously hasnt used the Opera Mobile browser on any of the smartphones out there and seriously doesnt understand its powers or abilities.

> I the use of the GBA port card as a memory module is not only convenient but ingenious; since its using both the DS card to render pages with the DS' cpu & also routing cached page/favourites into that memory module.I dont any other company will get access on how to do that with the DS. Is there a small memory limitation on the DS? Not that we've seen thus far for games but now imagine how seriously intense gaming can offer with this implementation.

Sony with the PSP is making a great effort but they forgot 1 major thing.

Nintendo rules the portable gaming segment. Nintendo rules the portable gaming segment.Nintendo rules the portable gaming segment.Nintendo rules the portable gaming segment.Nintendo rules the portable gaming segment.

Every other manufacturer has tried & failed to beat Nintendo at this segment & failed. They've tried and died!

Also note that the DS (& Lite included) is THE BEST selling gaming console EVER in Japan. (notice how I never said PORTABLE in that sentence. This is over the PSP, N64, PS2/PS1, GCN, Famicom, etc!)

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

whoa, really? I knew it was doing well but bloody hell!

19. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

This is my whole point. The DS browser is a mobile browser. It is not intended to replace a laptop but it is pretty handy for those of us who don't like to carry our laptop everywhere with us. Also, it isn't going to be powerful enough to watch YouTube videos or other content rich material. It will work for gmail, chat via ebuddy mobile, blogs, news, etc. Mobile sites will open instantly on it. Macrumors, Google, Yahoo, etc all have mobile versions of their sites. I probably wouldn't use it that much at home but I would use it at my University (assuming I can get a WEP key), Starbucks, McDonalds, and various Hotels).

20. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

What ever happened to game gear? That thing was sweet, it was way ahead of its time with the light up screen and what not. It had all the old sega games on it as well. Good stuff, that brings me back to my childhood.

-Matthew

21. Zazaban macrumors regular

I've always said that nintendo is the mac of the video game market. :D

22. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I wonder the same. I enjoyed the Game Gear a lot.

Till 2003 my dad was still using that thing with the TV-card to actually watch TV.

23. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

bid on it at a price you don't think will win you the auction. i was bored.

24. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

And $30 is pretty close to the regular price, so saying that you "won" it sounds a bit weird ;-)

25. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I don't think that any University still uses WEP, no responsible admin would do that. My university uses Web authentication (meaning that I can't play online games with my DS lite).